Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
coke alright but I mostly like sprite.

I like CHEK soda alot
Sprite is my favorite.

Outside of the GOAT that is :

news-sunkist.jpg

:banderas: :banderas: :banderas:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Best I Faced: Mikkel Kessler - Ring TV

One of the rare times you'll ever see somebody giving #Godzaghe any type of respect. :obama:

If only he dared to be great sooner. :mjcry:

Mikkel Kessler lost his motivation. And that’s the time to get out of boxing.

The four-time super middleweight titleholder announced his retirement in early February, ending an outstanding career that began in 1998 and included fights against the best 168-pounders in the world.

Kessler said last summer that he intended to continue his career but decided to walk away because he couldn’t secure a big fight.

“I have thought long and hard over my options … but none of these options are enough to get me motivated,” he said in a statement. “I need big events to make me train to get me to the standard that I have been used to presenting my fans with.

“I said I would like nothing more than to avenge my loss against Andre Ward and also have a decider against Carl Froch. These are fights that motivate me. But for one reason or another they do not want to fight me. I am always in training, it is part of my life, but I consider myself in a state of retirement.”

“The Viking Warrior” fought arguably the three best super middleweights of his era – Joe Calzaghe, Andre Ward and Carl Froch – in their home countries. He was never afraid to travel.

Kessler won his first title by forcing then-WBA 168-pound beltholder Manny Siacca to retire at the end of the seventh round in 2004. He was upgraded to WBA super champion after adding the WBC title with a third-round knockout of Markus Beyer in 2006.

In the fall of 2007, Kessler traveled to Wales to meet fellow unbeaten Joe Calzaghe, the RING and WBO titleholder. Both fighters had their moments in the first half of the fight before Calzaghe made adjustments and pulled away on the scorecards to win a unanimous decision.

Kessler rebounded to win the WBA title but lost it to rising star Andre Ward by a technical decision in the opening round of Showtime’s Super Six World Boxing Classic in 2009.

The Great Dane would rebound again in the second round, taking Carl Froch’s WBC championship by a decision in 2010. Kessler vacated the title after sitting out the rest of the tournament with an eye injury and would never again win a major belt.

Kessler was asked to reveal his most satisfying victories.

“I think the first time I had to defend my WBA belt,” Kessler told THE RING. “I was 25 years old, going to Australia, going to fight this guy Anthony Mundine. I wasn’t in shape, my back was hurting and I only did 20 rounds of sparring for that fight. I went 12 rounds. It was a big fight and I won every round.

“You have Froch when I came back. I had lost to Ward, everybody said I was finished and I gave Froch his first defeat. That was a great fight.”

Kessler fought 12 world champions and never lost a fight in Denmark. He leaves the sport with a record of 46-3 (35 knockouts).

Away from boxing, Kessler’s girlfriend had a baby boy just over a year ago. He is building his own house. He also has invested in other real estate and said he is considering other projects.

Kessler graciously agreed to discuss the best fighters he fought in 10 key categories.

BEST SKILL

Joe Calzaghe: I think Calzaghe had a lot of skills. Froch had different skills. He’s slow but he’s strong and has long arms and he’s mentally strong. Ward was also very good. It’s difficult to just point out one. I had (Librado) Andrade for 12 rounds, he came [at you] all the time; you couldn’t keep him away. It was like a nightmare. I think when you get to the top we all have different skills but, If I had to pick, I would say Joe Calzaghe had the best skills.

BEST JAB

Anthony Mundine: I would say in my last fight it was Froch, he had a good jab. Joe Calzaghe had a good jab. But Anthony Mundine had the best jab. He was smart with how he used it.

BEST DEFENSE

Andre Ward: Ward had a defense where he threw one punch and he holds you. That’s his defense. That’s the best I’ve seen. But it ruins the fight. I would say Librado Andrade; he could slip the punches, I’d never seen anything like that before.

BEST CHIN

Librado Andrade: He had the best chin. I hit him so much … but he could take a punch. Of course, Froch, he can take a pretty good punch.

BEST PUNCHER

Carl Froch: Ward, he didn’t really hit hard. Froch hit hard. Joe didn’t hit hard. If I had to choose someone, I choose Froch. He is a hard puncher when he hits you with a punch but he’s slow.

FASTEST HANDS

Joe Calzaghe: Either Joe or Ward. There were too many years between fighting them but I would probably say Joe.

FASTEST FEET

Ward: Good question. I think Ward had the fastest feet. He kept out the way and made full use of the ring.

SMARTEST

Calzaghe: I would say Ward was clever. He stuck to his plan. So did Joe. [Calzaghe] was afraid of me. I remember that. But he got hit and he changed his plans against me [in the middle of the fight].

STRONGEST

Andrade: He came [at me] for 12 rounds. I never fought anyone like that. Even Froch is strong and he’s a strong finisher but Andrade … I’ll never forget that fight. I had to keep him away all the time. Very strong.

BEST OVERALL

Calzaghe: He’s gonna read it, that son of a bytch! (Laughs.) I would say the best fighter and mentality, the build-up, the nice guy, is Joe. He inspired me. I came strong, I was young, I hadn’t lost a fight. Overall I would say he wasn’t the best puncher. He’s fast and he punched with the inside of his gloves but he was good at it.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
and you don't have to breh.:sas1:

The Ring asked asked the guy who actually fought both. :sas2:
I know and I'm not mad. What he said is still not a fact and I can have my own opinion though
Actually I thought it's the generl opinion that Ward is better than Calzaghe. I mean based on people still debating if Froch or Calzaghe was better... :yeshrug: