Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Former titleholder Hassan N’Dam squeaks by in Olympic qualifier
Mitch Abramson
July 5, 2016

file_175387_2_NDAMHassanQUILLINPeter630.jpg

Former middleweight titleholder Hassan N’Dam avoided embarrassment on Tuesday by edging U.S. amateur Jonathan Esquivel at the final Olympic qualifier in Vargas, Venezuela in a light heavyweight quarterfinal contest.

Despite the difference in experience, the 21-year-old Californian won the third round on two of the three judge’s scorecards before losing a unanimous decision by a score of 29-28 to N’Dam, currently ranked eighth in THE RING’s middleweight rankings.
The win against Esquivel was N’Dam’s tournament debut, and it eliminated Team USA’s final boxer from Olympic contention.

N’Dam, a French-Cameroonian boxer who fought in the 2004 Olympics, is one of the few professionals to take advantage of AIBA’s recent decision to allow pros to compete for an Olympic berth in the 2016 Olympics in Rio. The former professional flyweight champion Amnat Ruenroeng of Thailand is the other prominent pro to try to qualify.

Most professionals and promoters have ridiculed the ruling by AIBA as unsafe for amateurs. The IBF and WBC sanctioning bodies announced they will ban fighters who participate in the Rio Games, though it’s not clear if the punishment extends to qualifying tournaments. The hostility toward AIBA’s decision apparently fell on deaf ears when it came to N’Dam, who is representing Cameroon in this go-around, just as he did in 2004, when he lost in the quarterfinals and failed to medal.

Perhaps the allure of facing amateurs appealed to N’Dam, who was knocked to the canvas four times in a decision loss to David Lemieux in June of 2015; he was also dropped six times in a 2012 loss to Peter Quillin that cost him his WBO middleweight title.

N’Dam (33-2, 19 knockouts) has won two straight, however, most recently stopping Robert Swierzbinski in the second round in Paris. He is still highly regarded enough to be ranked eighth by THE RING, right behind No. 7 Quillin and No. 6 Chris Eubank Jr., who is finalizing a deal to face unified champion Gennady Gloving later this year. N’Dam is currently ranked No. 5 in the IBF, No. 6 in the WBC and No. 8 in the WBO.

The 2016 U.S. Olympic Boxing Team is now set with light flyweight Nico Hernandez, flyweight Antonio Vargas, bantamweight Shakur Stevenson, lightweight Carlos Balderas, light welterweight Gary Antuanne Russell and middleweight Charles Conwell. The female lightweight Mikaela Mayer and woman’s middleweight Claressa Shields will also represent the U.S in Rio and are all scheduled to depart on July 19.

:mjlol:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps

This one:

July 16
At Birmingham, Ala. (PBC on Fox/Fox Deportes/FS1):

• Deontay Wilder vs. Chris Arreola, 12 rounds, for Wilder's WBC heavyweight title

• Sammy Vasquez vs. Felix Diaz, 10 rounds, welterweights

• Gerald Washington vs. Amir Mansour, rematch, 10 rounds heavyweights

• Jamal James vs. Wale Omotoso, 10 rounds, welterweights

• Erickson Lubin vs. Ivan Montero, 8 or 10 rounds, junior middleweights

• Vic Darchinyan vs. Ramiro Robles, 10 rounds, junior featherweights

• Michael Seals vs. TBA, 6 or 8 rounds, light heavyweights

:whew:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Winky beat him up with just a jab breh:wow:

Trinidad could not get out the way of the jab of Winky Wright:wow:

You know what's funny..Sam soliman gave prime winky a much tougher fight than tito lol...funny how shyt like that happens in boxing

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Former titleholder Hassan N’Dam squeaks by in Olympic qualifier
Mitch Abramson
July 5, 2016

file_175387_2_NDAMHassanQUILLINPeter630.jpg

Former middleweight titleholder Hassan N’Dam avoided embarrassment on Tuesday by edging U.S. amateur Jonathan Esquivel at the final Olympic qualifier in Vargas, Venezuela in a light heavyweight quarterfinal contest.

Despite the difference in experience, the 21-year-old Californian won the third round on two of the three judge’s scorecards before losing a unanimous decision by a score of 29-28 to N’Dam, currently ranked eighth in THE RING’s middleweight rankings.
The win against Esquivel was N’Dam’s tournament debut, and it eliminated Team USA’s final boxer from Olympic contention.

N’Dam, a French-Cameroonian boxer who fought in the 2004 Olympics, is one of the few professionals to take advantage of AIBA’s recent decision to allow pros to compete for an Olympic berth in the 2016 Olympics in Rio. The former professional flyweight champion Amnat Ruenroeng of Thailand is the other prominent pro to try to qualify.

Most professionals and promoters have ridiculed the ruling by AIBA as unsafe for amateurs. The IBF and WBC sanctioning bodies announced they will ban fighters who participate in the Rio Games, though it’s not clear if the punishment extends to qualifying tournaments. The hostility toward AIBA’s decision apparently fell on deaf ears when it came to N’Dam, who is representing Cameroon in this go-around, just as he did in 2004, when he lost in the quarterfinals and failed to medal.

Perhaps the allure of facing amateurs appealed to N’Dam, who was knocked to the canvas four times in a decision loss to David Lemieux in June of 2015; he was also dropped six times in a 2012 loss to Peter Quillin that cost him his WBO middleweight title.

N’Dam (33-2, 19 knockouts) has won two straight, however, most recently stopping Robert Swierzbinski in the second round in Paris. He is still highly regarded enough to be ranked eighth by THE RING, right behind No. 7 Quillin and No. 6 Chris Eubank Jr., who is finalizing a deal to face unified champion Gennady Gloving later this year. N’Dam is currently ranked No. 5 in the IBF, No. 6 in the WBC and No. 8 in the WBO.

The 2016 U.S. Olympic Boxing Team is now set with light flyweight Nico Hernandez, flyweight Antonio Vargas, bantamweight Shakur Stevenson, lightweight Carlos Balderas, light welterweight Gary Antuanne Russell and middleweight Charles Conwell. The female lightweight Mikaela Mayer and woman’s middleweight Claressa Shields will also represent the U.S in Rio and are all scheduled to depart on July 19.

:mjlol:
That's ummm..ridiculous :francis:...at least ruenroeng won his qualifier handily..still don't like pros being in the Olympics bullshyt

Suspicious Dingo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sydney, Austalia
This one:

July 16

• Deontay Wilder vs. Chris Arreola, 12 rounds, for Wilder's WBC heavyweight title

That's actually a pretty great card :leon:

My man Vic needs to retire already though :damn:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
That's actually a pretty great card :leon:

My man Vic needs to retire already though :damn:
Vic used to be frightening to watch in his prime...that was one mean little mufukka..when he went above 115 it was a slow decline to jobber to the stars status

Suspicious Dingo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sydney, Austalia
Vic used to be frightening to watch in his prime...that was one mean little mufukka..when he went above 115 it was a slow decline to jobber to the stars status

Man I was a full-blown Vic STAN back when he was savaging dudes in his prime... hurts my heart to see what he's become :mjcry:

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
This one:

July 16

great card. hope they showing lubin on tv

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You know what's funny..Sam soliman gave prime winky a much tougher fight than tito lol...funny how shyt like that happens in boxing

That wasn't really surprising to me when that fight was announced.

To beat a guy like Winky, you have to outwork him & throw a lot of punches, which Sam has no problem doing.

Winky was still able to beat a guy that presents stylistic problems. Now I don't think Sam ever had a chance of winning. Despite having a style to give Wright some trouble, he still wasn't a fighter to actually pull off the win, as he just wasn't at that tier. A "c+/b-" type of fighter isn't beating an A level fighter even if they have the style. They will have some moments though.

I haven't see the Harry Simon fight in over a decade but I remember he was another guy that brought it as well.

It is funny how boxing works. If Sam Soliman fought Tito he would have got knocked out.

Last edited:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
That wasn't really a surprising to me when that fight was announced.

To beat a guy like Winky, you have to outwork him & throw a lot of punches, which Sam has no problem doing.

Winky was still able to beat a guy that presents stylistic problems. Now I don't think Sam ever had a chance of winning. Despite having a style to give Wright some trouble, he still wasn't a fighter to actually pull off the win, as he just wasn't at that tier. A "c+/b-" type of fighter isn't beating an A fighter even if they have the still. They will have some moments though.

I haven't see the Harry Simon fight in over a decade but I remember he was another guy that brought it as well.

It is funny how boxing works. If Sam Soliman fought Tito he would have got knocked out.

sam got winky out of his rhythm..its one of the few fights of winky's that i actually saw him hurt someone and actively try to put somebody away...sam was within 2 or 3 on the 2 of the judges cards

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Man I was a full-blown Vic STAN back when he was savaging dudes in his prime... hurts my heart to see what he's become :mjcry:

2 of his fights in his prime..vs victor burgos where he nearly committed a ring fatality and vs rodrigo guerrero where i was sure a ring fatality was going to take place..just mean man

moving up and never altering his fighting style was the end

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
sam got winky out of his rhythm..its one of the few fights of winky's that i actually saw him hurt someone and actively try to put somebody away...saw was within 2 or 3 on the 2 of the judges cards

Of course

Sam was an awkward volume puncher at the time and is a much better fighter than he looks.

This is the sort of reason why a lot of fighters try not to even watch film.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Speaking of Tito & Wright, the way they managed their career towards the end was :scust:. It had me questioning if these guys where just fighting for a payday.

Just terrible & showed lack of respect for the sport. Look at a guy like Ward who respects the game of boxing. If you have a long ass layoff, you have to ease yourself back into it, regardless of how good you are.

Let's look at Tito. He agrees to fight Roy after being gone damn near 3 years at 168. Yeah it wasn't the same Roy, but it was just dumb. I don't even like how he managed his career after the Cherifi fight, but I'm not gonna go too much into it.

And we have Winky Wright. Gone for almost 2 years & agrees to fight Paul Williams, his worst stylistic match up. Does Winky have any self awareness? He's comes back almost 3 years later to fight Peter Quillin. It's like why not give yourself the best chance to win?

I know people get frustrated with how Ward manages his career, but if Ward signed his Roc Nation deal & agreed to fight Kovalev immediately, it just would have been retarded. The goal is to win fights here.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Let's look at Tito. He agrees to fight Roy after being gone damn near 3 years at 168. Yeah it wasn't the same Roy, but it was just dumb. I don't even like how he managed his career after the Cherifi fight, but I'm not gonna go too much into it.

And we have Winky Wright. Gone for almost 2 years & agrees to fight Paul Williams, his worst stylistic match up. Does Winky have any self awareness? He's comes back almost 3 years later to fight Peter Quillin. It's like why not give yourself the best chance to win?

with tito i just think the bhop fight took something out of him mentally..his fighting spirit..with the exception of the mayorga he went through the motions..winky though was a road warrior for a long stretch of his career..that prolly played a part in the decisions he made