Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

charknicks

All Star
Daps
Y'all nikkas want PPV :dahell:

GGG with all the HBO dikk riding, Jordan & Apple co sign...P4P #1 bullshyt...sold 97k PPV WITH Chocolatito as the co main

shyt is dead...nobody selling PPV anymore... fukk Canelo got his Mexican date N still couldn't do huge numbers...GBP overpaid Khan N likely made very little on the whole thing

Theres no point in Swift or AB being on PPV unless its against each other for unification or against Floyd

But IF they did I'd guarantee they'd do better then 97G without half the hype N media help

Nah, bro. I dont want PPV at all. I love having all the fights on cable/ network TV. I just want the best to fight the best.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
As for Canelo/GGG, fall 2017 is a long time to wait for a fight and anything can happen between now and then. I can see if it was for May 2017, but damn they making nikkas wait an extra 3-4 months.
nikkas already been wanting to see this shyt since Winter 2015.

Ward/Kovalev is just as good a fight (if not better) and we really only had to wait a year for that.

If we get a Canelo/Andrade fight and a GGG/Eubanks Jr fight during that waiting period then I'm fukking cooler than the other side of the pillow with that shyt. :blessed:

but...

this is boxing, we'll prolly get Canelo/Lemieux/Stevens etc....and GGG/(insert random Fight Night career mode name):snoop::mjcry:

I'll just have to wait and see. :manny:
You are right, if it is about build up the fight doesn't need to wait until late 2017. Really it is too long. May 2016 probably would have been ideal.

But if it goes off, they both get what they want and a pretty fair compromise. Canelo has time to acclimate to weight and GGG gets the mega fight he wants, without Canelo dragging him into being too old.

You actually don't know what you're talking about breh.

Ward was in legal hell then he had the Dawson/Rodriguez fights (2014?) Then he took a hiatus signed to RNS and fought at 172, then Barrera at 175 and this other guy at 175, so essentially he moved up of the course of 18 months.

Not sure off the top of my head what the fight was where two killers fought, one moving up from 160 to 168, and he was ruined literally fukked up to this day @patscorpio knows the fight I'm talking about. You need to give your body time to adjust to a new weight with harder punchers who are just as fast, Ward has done just that. Oh yea he's also been able to add 7lbs of muscle without looking slower or anything of that sort. So I'd say Ward is def doing it right.

WWSOB gets you paid $2.5mm a fight and a PPV when you had been on hiatus since end of 2013/start of 14?

The WWSOB, refers to fighters in their prime not making fights for good paydays when they can be made, not if they are fairly compensated when they fight.
Ward was in legal hell, but most agree that he was the one who chose to pursue the legal route and no one was sure what he really was accomplishing.

You right though, when it comes to the paydays he gets, Ward always makes out well.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
I dont fully agree with that. PPV should be saved for the upper level of fighters. The only reason Crawford/ Postol is on PPV is because HBO ran out of money in their budget for the quarter, and needs to make money that way. Also, they have to try and build new stars such as Crawford. Especially hard these days with people cutting back on cable (point made based on how many cats ask for fight links when fights are on HBO/Showtime each Saturday)

Crawford vs Postol isn't going to make HBO any money breh....fight will be lucky to reach 100k sells.

That doesn't make any money for them. The reason it's being held on PPV is because, like Bob Arum said, it's the only way they could make the fight because HBO wont pay them (Crawford/Postol) what they want in order to fight due to their budget restriction, so PPV was the only option left.

Point is the 1A/1B draws right now should be the 2 fighters on PPV, not fighting on Spike on April Fools Friday. Thats all

That's not all:dahell:

How you gonna act all cocky when you're wrong though?:what:

AB nor Swift should be fighting on PPV. All fights, except those that exceed the budgets of the network, should be held on cable tv at very best. You don't just throw people on PPV just cause unless it's a block buster matchup (Canelo vs GGG is an example of a fight that deserved to be on PPV....not Canelo vs Khan. According to you, every single Canelo fight should be on PPV though):comeon:

Last edited:

charknicks

All Star
Daps
PPV does not = popularity:comeon:

Again: Crawford vs Postol is happening on PPV....Crawford's biggest "viewership" for a fight is only 1.2 million (vs Gamboa). Postol's is only 642k (vs Matthysse)

AB's drew 1.3 million views against Maidana who was less known than Gamboa at the time and has a career high of 2.4 million views vs Porter.

Swift drew 808k (vs Rod Salka of all people) and has a career high of 2.5 million views vs Guerrero.

Like :usure: about your stance breh?:jbhmm:

So Mayweather, Pacquiao, Canelo, and Cotto arent the most popular fighters in the last 10 years? Are/ were they not always on PPV?

Come on, man. You post way too much in here not to use common sense like that. You are making my point. AB drew well against Maidana and Porter. Swift drew well against Guerrero. They need to keep fighting that level opponents.

Also, I dont even have a stance/ aganda. Just pointing out that we aren't getting the fights we should for the money these dudes are commanding and its killing the game. We spend more time talking about past fights then future/ upcoming fights.

We are guaranteed new seasons in NFL, NBA, college sports. Big event boxing isnt a guarantee, so when I hear a healthy current middleweight Canelo wants to wait a year and a half to fight a healthy GGG after talking reckless in the ring about not being scared, etc. etc., it frustrates me as a boxing fan. Let something happen to either dude in one of these tune ups and it will be a problem.

charknicks

All Star
Daps
Crawford vs Postol isn't going to make HBO any money breh....fight will be lucky to reach 100k sells.

That doesn't make any money for them. The reason it's being held on PPV is because, like Bob Arum said, it's the only way they could make the fight because HBO wont pay them (Crawford/Postol) what they want in order to fight due to their budget restriction, so PPV was the only option left.

That's not all:dahell:

How you gonna act all cocky when you're wrong though?:what:

Smh. Who is wrong?

First, I know the Crawford fight wont draw well at all. Doesnt deserve to be on PPV. It would have made good views on regular HBO though. Again, they didnt have the money in the budget to put it on HBO. Thats the only reason its on PPV. HBO makes some money off the 80-100K PPV sales, much more then just having it on regular HBO. Business 101.

Second, you just said yourself that Swift and AB are the 2 biggest draws. From the earlier article someone posted, PBC aint shyt right now. They should be drawing much more then 2.5 million people if they are such big draws. Not cocky, no need to be. Just actual facts/ numbers to help you, bro.
You just happened to leave out the following numbers for your '1B' guy, so I will leave them here for you:
Showtime didn't fare any better, with the Broner-Allakhverdiev card averaging 400,000 viewers. The undercard fight between Pedraza-Cherry averaged 338,000, peaking at 514,000, while Broner-Allakhverdiev averaged 506,000, peaking at 609,000.

I see why you ride so much for the kid. Seems like no one else is.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
So Mayweather, Pacquiao, Canelo, and Cotto arent the most popular fighters in the last 10 years? Are/ were they not always on PPV?

Their purse guarantees demand that they fight on PPV. No way could a Mayweather 30+ million dollar payday, a Pacqiuao 20+ million dollar payday, a Cotto 10+ million dollar payday be done on regular Showtime/HBO. They have no CHOICE but to fight on PPV, because that's the only way the promoters/networks can afford to pay them.

Come on, man. You post way too much in here not to use common sense like that. You are making my point. AB drew well against Maidana and Porter. Swift drew well against Guerrero. They need to keep fighting that level opponents.

They weren't considered high level opponents at the time of the fights.....especially Guerrero. What are you talking bout breh?:dwillhuh:

AB was expected to clearly beat Maidana. That wasn't considered a 50/50 matchup heading in....hell, it probably wasn't a considered 60/40 because AB was a 4 to 1 favorite in that fight:dead:

Also, I dont even have a stance/ aganda. Just pointing out that we aren't getting the fights we should for the money these dudes are commanding and its killing the game. We spend more time talking about past fights then future/ upcoming fights.

No one on PBC is making 2 million a fight, so what's the problem?

They are getting paid 1-1.5 million to face other opponents....just like all other fighters from the past did.

I could see if they were being paid 5+ million, but they aren't.

We are guaranteed new seasons in NFL, NBA, college sports. Big event boxing isnt a guarantee, so when I hear a healthy current middleweight Canelo wants to wait a year and a half to fight a healthy GGG after talking reckless in the ring about not being scared, etc. etc., it frustrates me as a boxing fan. Let something happen to either dude in one of these tune ups and it will be a problem.

This has nothing to with PPV fights though:manny:

charknicks

All Star
Daps
Their purse guarantees demand that they fight on PPV. No way could a Mayweather 30+ million dollar payday, a Pacqiuao 20+ million dollar payday, a Cotto 10+ million dollar payday be done on regular Showtime/HBO. They have no CHOICE but to fight on PPV, because that's the only way the promoters/networks can afford to pay them.

They weren't considered high level opponents at the time of the fights.....especially Guerrero. What are you talking bout breh?:dwillhuh:

AB was expected to clearly beat Maidana. That wasn't considered a 50/50 matchup heading in....hell, it probably wasn't a considered 60/40 because AB was a 4 to 1 favorite in that fight:dead:

No one on PBC is making 2 million a fight, so what's the problem?

They are getting paid 1-1.5 million to face other opponents....just like all other fighters from the past did.

I could see if they were being paid 5+ million, but they aren't.

This has nothing to with PPV fights though:manny:

-No one is making 2+ million/fight on PBC cause the money/ demand isnt there for the fights they are signing up for. And these big fights wont happen if they are able to get paid $1-1.5 million to fight these C-level fighters. No need to risk yourself against the best when you get paid well to fight bums. BUT, no one will be checking to see you fight if you are fighting nothing but bums. Its a catch-22. The PBC is vastly overpaying these fighters and it shows in the ratings.

-And what does putting off a fight ready now until next fall have to do with PPV fights? What the hell are you talking about? Canelo went from 'I aint scared' to Fall 2017 real quick. Sad part is I favor Canelo in the fight.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Smh. Who is wrong?

You are.

First, I know the Crawford fight wont draw well at all. Doesnt deserve to be on PPV. It would have made good views on regular HBO though. Again, they didnt have the money in the budget to put it on HBO. Thats the only reason its on PPV.

But I just said this over and over again:snoop:

HBO makes some money off the 80-100K PPV sales, much more then just having it on regular HBO. Business 101.

That's not guaranteed. There's a marker that has to be hit in order for the fight to start being profitable.

I.E. in the case of GGG vs Lemieux, 125k was the marker they claimed needed to be met in order for them (HBO/K2) to break even.

You don't know the marker yet, so how can you be so confident in your replies is what's killing me:snoop:

Second, you just said yourself that Swift and AB are the 2 biggest draws.

And they are.

They are the 2 biggest American Boxers today.

From the earlier article someone posted, PBC aint shyt right now. They should be drawing much more then 2.5 million people if they are such big draws.

2.4 million views for Broner vs Shawn Porter and 2.5 million for Garcia vs Guerrero isn't ENOUGH considering Broner was fighting a guy who's unknown to the public and Garcia's opponent was being called a cherry pick?:dahell:

Stop it:forreal:

Not cocky, no need to be. Just actual facts/ numbers to help you, bro.

:snoop:

You just happened to leave out the following numbers for your '1B' guy, so I will leave them here for you:
Showtime didn't fare any better, with the Broner-Allakhverdiev card averaging 400,000 viewers. The undercard fight between Pedraza-Cherry averaged 338,000, peaking at 514,000, while Broner-Allakhverdiev averaged 506,000, peaking at 609,000.

I see why you ride so much for the kid. Seems like no one else is.

The fight was aired the same exact night & time as Postol/Matthysse and also Notre Dame vs Clemson (ABC), and Oregon vs Colorado (ESPN) were on TV .....but you should know that since you know so much right?:usure:

:camby:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
-No one is making 2+ million/fight on PBC cause the money/ demand isnt there for the fights they are signing up for.

Broner got 1.3 million to face Porter (who received 1 million).......but the fight averaged 2.4 million views and peaked at 3.2 million.

Learn more about what you are attempting to talk about breh. You're coming off full of nothing but words and false info:snoop:

And these big fights wont happen if they are able to get paid $1-1.5 million to fight these C-level fighters. No need to risk yourself against the best when you get paid well to fight bums. BUT, no one will be checking to see you fight if you are fighting nothing but bums. Its a catch-22.

But yet in the PBC era all these guys fought tough opponents & NONE of em received 2 million or more to face them: Broner fought Porter, LSC vs Mares, Swift vs Peterson, Thurman vs Porter, Dirrell vs Degale, McDonnell vs Kameda, Dirrell vs Jack, Lee vs Quillin, Warren vs Payano TWICE, Charlo vs Trout, Frampton vs Quigg

So what are you talking about?:dahell:

Broner got paid almost the same amount to face John Molina Jr (1.25 million) as he did to face Shawn Porter (1.3 million).....so if your "catch-22" was correct, wouldn't Broner had never faced Porter?:jbhmm:

The PBC is vastly overpaying these fighters and it shows in the ratings.

Don't know what you're talking about brehs:wow:

-And what does putting off a fight ready now until next fall have to do with PPV fights? What the hell are you talking about? Canelo went from 'I aint scared' to Fall 2017 real quick. Sad part is I favor Canelo in the fight.

Im not talking about Canelo vs GGG....Im talking about PBC and PPV. You moving goal posts.

charknicks

All Star
Daps
You are.

But I just said this over and over again:snoop:

That's not guaranteed. There's a marker that has to be hit in order for the fight to start being profitable.

I.E. in the case of GGG vs Lemieux, 125k was the marker they claimed needed to be met in order for them (HBO/K2) to break even.

You don't know the marker yet, so how can you be so confident in your replies is what's killing me:snoop:

And they are.

They are the 2 biggest American Boxers today.

2.4 million views for Broner vs Shawn Porter and 2.5 million for Garcia vs Guerrero isn't ENOUGH considering Broner was fighting a guy who's unknown to the public and Garcia's opponent was being called a cherry pick?:dahell:

Stop it:forreal:

:snoop:

The fight was aired the same exact night & time as Postol/Matthysse and also Notre Dame vs Clemson (ABC), and Oregon vs Colorado (ESPN) were on TV .....but you should know that since you know so much right?:usure:

:camby:

- These are the 2 biggest boxing draws. Should be more then 1/2 million tuning in if thats the case. You throwing Colorado football as an excuse now? You using bum ass Postol/ Matthysse (which drew MORE then Broner) as an excuse now? Word? Postol-Matthysse (neither American by the way) went up against mighty Colorado football too and averaged 642,000, peaking at 814,000. More people wanted to watch Viktor Postol then Adrien Broner? Stop it
8054d31b6c3e26f79db1dfd012e7d4a0.png
:camby: Again, actual facts to help you, bro.

How do you know what the markers are? All I said it they make more money back having it on PPV then on regular cable due to the budget. I didnt say anything about break even. You seem ready to argue some point you have no idea about. You said Broner is a draw the the above numbers state otherwise, so who is to believe anything you make up from this point forward?