Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Thurman: I Want Amir Khan, Not Stuttering Spence!

Posted by: Victor Salazar on 7/13/2015 .

By Victor Salazar

Tampa, Florida - For Keith Thurman (26-0, 22 KO’s) his options are plentiful in a loaded welterweight division on the Premier Boxing Champions Series. After his victory over Luis Collazo, Thurman says he just wants the big names.

“I want Amir Khan, Marcos Maidana and Shawn Porter,” Thurman told BoxingScene.com. “This is boxing I want to fight the same guys you want me to fight. Right now we would like Amir Khan. He has finally started mentioning Keith Thurman’s name. When I hear those syllables coming out a fighters mouth, that’s what I like.”

The reason he wants Amir Khan is because he feels Khan is overrated and if Khan wants to prove he’s elite, he should take on a real welterweight like himself.

“I’ve said before that Amir Khan does not truly belong in the welterweight division,” said Thurman. “So if he truly wants to make a statement in the division, he should fight a true welterweight like a Keith Thurman or a Shawn Porter. His fellow countrymen, Kell Brook fought a great welterweight in Shawn Porter. So I would like to see Amir Khan do the same thing.

Recently the Floyd Mayweather camp have mentioned a fight between Keith Thurman and Errol Spence as a way for Thurman to prove himself against young welterweights. Thurman has dismissed the notion because he doesn’t feel Spence wants the fight.

“That boy (Errol Spence) don’t want it in the near future, his Uncle Floyd adopted him and told him to say that statement,” stated an amped up Thurman. “If he really wanted to state that statement, he wouldn’t have stuttered when he said it. He’s a young talented fighter. I sound like Floyd right now saying that. He hasn’t fought a B Class fighter. He keeps fighting these one week replacements. Go ahead and fight Diego Chaves, go fight Luis Collazo, or any ex world champion that I fought before you say my name out your mouth.”

Aside from not wanting the fight. Thurman feels Spence doesn’t deserve the fight. Even if Mayweather was to offer up one of the many ABC belts that he holds.

“C’mon, that’s Floyd playing games,” explained Thurman about fighting for one of the belts Mayweather may or may not dropped. “If he (Mayweather) wants to offer up something, tell him to offer 10 Million Dollars. If he’s about money and wants to make great fights, throw up some dollar bills. But at the end of the day, Spence needs to earn that shot.”

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=93439

:russ:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
and not to sound so boxing cliche..i miss them guys..Camden Buzzsaw and real deal.

my father absolutely loves this man and so do I..i was sad when i heard of his passing last year (? ) or year before..what a fighter!! the guy is just what makes you want to walk into a Gym..salute Brother Miracle Matt Muhammad!!!

They dont build fighters like these anymore

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
yeah but i feel like thats just breather for ab...maybe he needs one.

You think Lundy would be a better opponent than Figueroa?

I disagree, because I believe Figueroa would beat Lundy.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
By Miguel Rivera

Former three division world champion Felix "Tito" Trinidad feels the current landscape of the welterweight division is of low comparison when reflecting back on the fighters, and fights, of year's past.

Trinidad captured world titles at welterweight, junior middleweight and middleweight but made his name and career at 147-pounds.

He remembers back when the welterweight division staged the best fights in the entire sport. Those times have passed. These days the best fighters at 147 are rarely seen facing each other.

"[The level of fights have] diminished a bit, especially in the welterweight division, where there was always fire. Today, in the welterweight division it's missing the impact of years' past," Trinidad told Alex Figueroa.

"I look back to when I followed [the welterweight division], there was [Sugar Ray] Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran, [Wilfredo] Benitez ... After some time, there was myself, [Oscar] De La Hoya, Pernell Whitaker, Ike Quartey. In this time period things have lowered considerably, as to the level of fights."

and yet we have ppl who think this generation of welters is better than the tito's generation of welters :mjlol:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh