Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Also brehs, I started building my boxing knowledge up and watched some classic fights from the 80s (Leonard vs Duran I & II, Leonard vs Hagler, Leonard vs Hearns I & II, Hearns vs Hagler, I'll catch Duran-Hagler next week I guess). Good stuff really and different from the matches I watched this year. But I wonder what was Leonard's game-plan when he fought Duran the first time ? Why did he went to war, when it seemed clear that it was Duran territory ? Why didn't he "dance" around him like he did in the rematch or with Hagler ?
and I had this image of Leonard being some kind of nice guy but the breh was cocky and disrespectful as hell with his mind games :russ:

Also what are you guys take on the decisions of SRL-Hearns II and SRL-Hagler ? :mjpls:

I then watched some Roy Jones fights (against Toney, Hopkins I, Hall, Lebedev, the Olympics final) too and :wow:
Was his first two rounds against Hall the most disrespectful thing seen in boxing ? I mean, what Leonard did to Duran in the second fight was crazy but Jones actually backed that up (though Hall was clearly not on his level as opposed to Duran-Leonard being even, I know) by knocking the breh down thrice. I wonder what was the highest between Jones' cockiness, his hand speed or the level of disrespect he showed Hall. :scust: I felt bad for Hall who was badly beaten (above all when the commentary was like "Hall had a rough childhood with his uncle beating up and almost caught a murder charge when he tried to defend himself :sadcam:) above all with RJJ showboating like that. Poor Jamaican breh didn't deserve that and in my head I was like "fukk having heart, just throw the towel homie" :sadcam:

And really, I thought Jones was doing too much against an opponent he knew was far below him. And then I saw him getting KO'd by Lebedev (Jones was :flabbynsick: by then I guess) and then I was like :

NrcIRsB.gif

:manny:

But Jones style is really interesting. Unorthodox, super fast and charismatic. I'm not a fan of brehs flexing like in sports that but couldn't help but :wow: at this man's style. How did he became like that from a technical point of view though ? Leading with his left hook (and what left hook :wow:, still laughing at Toney taunting him then getting knocked down by it in return), not much guard, kinda jumpy style, not much clinching when in trouble it seems. Even in the Olympics final, as an amateur, he was already like that...

where are you watching the classic and old fights? Youtube?
and Make sure you kick it in here more often ..
:salute:

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
By the way, I wish Andre was fighting on HBO for exposure sake but on the other hand, assuming black folks still watch BET regularly, I'm looking forward to having good fights on BET if it means is leads to black folks getting into the sport of boxing down the road again big time and getting these eastern Europeans out of the game :takedat:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
There's a trend of him getting tagged up by people with no power (Monroe, Adama) but not eating anything significant from people with proven power (Stevens).

He also pressed for the knockout last night more than I've ever seen him. He's usually VERY patient after he knocks someone down but he rushed for the kill in the 2nd.

I think the likely explanation for last night is Monroe couldn't hurt him and he knew if he landed enough he'd KO him so he said fukk it and went for the kill.
He also appeared kinda short-breathed during those two rounds. Same explanation you think (trying to go for the kill) ?

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps

In a closely fought and ill-tempered bout Ilunga Makabu from the Democratic Republic of the Congo knocked out Thabiso Mchunu of South Africa in the eleventh round of a WBC cruiserweight title eliminator at the International Convention Centre in Durban on Saturday night. Both fighters were warned throughout by referee Daniel van der Wiele of Belgium for low blows, pushing and a number of foul tactics.

In a battle of southpaws, after a quiet opening round Mchunu (90.18kg) dominated with his right jab through the next five rounds as he continuously jolted Makabu’s head back. However, from round seven Makabu (87.56kg) picked up the pace as the South African began tire rather drastically and was punished by the aggressive Makabu. In round eleven Makabu came on strongly before Mchunu was backed up against the ropes and dropped on his face with a left uppercut where he was counted out by the referee at 1 minute 56 seconds into the round.

Makabu improved his record to 19-1 with 18 KOs and Mchunu dropped to 17-2, 11 KOs.

1431845380-makab.gif

Ari Gold Bawse

The Bawse of all Bosses
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
@Liu Kang going up to HW was Roy Jones downfall

he put on too much weight then had to lose it all again to fight Tarver, his athleticism went into heavy decline after that

funny that if he retired after beating Ruiz for the HW belt he would still be talked about as arguably the GOAT

i still say prime for prime Roy Jones is the GOAT dammit :mjcry:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
@Liu Kang going up to HW was Roy Jones downfall

he put on too much weight then had to lose it all again to fight Tarver, his athleticism went into heavy decline after that

funny that if he retired after beating Ruiz for the HW belt he would still be talked about as arguably the GOAT

i still say prime for prime Roy Jones is the GOAT dammit :mjcry:
Any fighter who can switch southpaw/orthodox with ease you'd recommend me ?

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
my bruh crawford already ranked 11th in p4p by ring magazine .........:whew::banderas:

Pound for Pound
All weights

• Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Record: 48-0-0 (26 KOs)
    Ranking:
    This Week: 1 | Last Week: 1 | Weeks On List: 191
    Title: RING, WBC, WBA jr. middleweight; RING, WBC, WBA, WBO welterweight

• Wladimir Klitschko

Record: 64-3-0 (53 KOs)
    Ranking:
    This Week: 2 | Last Week: 2 | Weeks On List: 249
    Title: RING, IBF, WBO, WBA heavyweight