Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
gamboas an idiot..this win would put him right back on the map..instead he wants to fight one irrelevant fight every 18 months:beli:

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset
gamboas an idiot..this win would put him right back on the map..instead he wants to fight one irrelevant fight every 18 months:beli:
Dude is a fraud and cheat fukk him, he hasn't been shyt since he got popped for roids anyway

There are better fighters that actually earned a fight out there for Mikey rather than this hypejob

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
GARY RUSSELL JR: "WE READY TO TAKE ONE OF THESE DUDE'S TITLE...JHONNY, I WOULD LOVE TO GET THAT FIGHT"
By Percy Crawford | March 11, 2014
garyrusselljr.jpg

PC: Congratulations on your 4th round knockout over Miguel Tamayo. How do you feel about the performance?

GR: I felt alright. My performance, I felt it was okay. I gave myself probably a B. I grade myself a B just for the fact that I was under the weather. I had the flu. I was sick as hell for about a week and a half going into the fight. I was at the tail end of it by the time I fought, but we fought through it, man. We gladiators. You gotta be able to fight through adversity. I gave myself a B because I am my worst critic. It was little stuff; shots that I could have took that I didn't take. Little minor stuff that the naked eye wouldn't pick up on that I would. I gave myself a B, but overall, I felt I did good. We came there to get a W and that's what we did.

PC: In the past, your hands had been an issue. How did they hold up?

GR: My hands felt good, man. They held up. As far as preparation go, I saved them for the fight. Most guys are sparring in maybe 14 to 16 oz gloves. I do everything in 20 oz gloves. I hit the bag in 20 oz gloves, mitts and spar in 20 oz gloves, and to be honest, man, for this particular fight, we didn't hit a bag at all. Everything we did was on the double end. Everything we did was on the double end, so the double end is what got me in shape for this particular fight. It's less wear and tear on your body, less pounding on my hands, so it preserved my hands a lot better, so we good.

PC: You fought 6 times in 2011 and only 2 fights in the last two years. Is the goal to fight more, 4 to 5 times this year or fight for the title and stay in the 2 to 3 fight range?

GR: Honestly man, we ready to take one of these dude's title. If we can get the fight with Jhonny Gonzales for the WBC belt if the opportunity present itself; we offered the fight to him and I believe he turned it down once already and I can understand the reason why. When it comes to me fighting for other titles, I'm already the mandatory for the WBO belt, so with that being said, even though Salido lost the belt on the scales even though he beat Lomachenko, the belt is up for grabs and I'm the #1 contender and ranked #1 in the WBO. I'm the person in line to fight for that title and at this point, it's up to the WBO as to who we will compete against for the belt.

PC: You don't have a problem with ignoring critics and naysayers because we have spoke about that in the past. Is it tough that everyone always think it's you dragging your legs when, like you said, you guys offered Gonzales and was turned down? You just don't put it out there that these guys are turning you down?

GR: I mean, like I said, it comes with the territory; you're gonna have critics. Even if I come out here and take all of these guys belts who are supposed to be something special, I'm still gonna have critics. When I was 14-0 and 15-0, people were talking about me stepping up the competition and fighting for this and fighting for that, but what a lot of people fail to realize is, yeah, we are entertainers as far as being fighters and stuff like that. We are here to entertain, but ultimately, it is a business for us as well because it's a means for financial stability for our families. With all fighters, I believe that's the goal. Of course the goal is to be a world champion, but the ultimate goal is financial stability for them and their families. We had a game plan. We wanted to get to 23 or 24-0 before we competed for a world title. I will never allow anyone that has any criticism to push me to cater to them because it's not only gonna affect me, it's gonna affect my family. The true fans and people who care understand that this is a business and they have to understand that, and if not, cool. These are the same people that's gonna love me when I become a world champion and there will still be some that's gonna dislike me. It's not my job to worry about that. It's my job to continue to whoop ass and make sure that I cross my T's and dot my I's, which is what I'm doing.

PC: Social media and the fact that anyone can start a blog gives everyone a voice now.

GR: I mean, you have people that want to talk and criticize opponents, but never fought a day in their life. Their biggest opposition is to try to be creative and negative on the internet. So I honestly pay stuff like that no mind at all. Once again, it's comes with the territory. My job is to go out here and perform the way I do, with speed, power, and explosiveness, and keep the fans wanting to see what I bring to the table.
PC: Is there any date you are setting for a return as of now?

GR: I'm not sure. We are trying to get in no later than April or May. Definitely no later than May. We want to stay real active and figure out everything, especially with Salido just losing the title. I was already the mandatory there, so he had 180 days to compete against me when Salido fought Orlando Cruz. And then he fought Lomachenko, and I believe it was 75 days left. The winner of that fight would have to fight me within 75 days of that fight. Unfortunately, Salido lost the title on the scale, so we just trying to do the ground work now and found out who is it that the WBO is going to put in front of me as the mandatory. I'm already in line to fight for the title; it's up to them to see who we are going against. They are trying to do that now in a timely fashion because we are trying to stay active this year.

PC: You had a very decorated amateur career. With that being said, do you feel Lomachenko, with only 1 pro bout, should have even been fighting Salido for the title?

GR: Honestly man, I didn't feel any particular way about it because it didn't have anything to do with me. Whoever would have won that title would have had to compete against me and I didn't care who won. Whoever won was definitely going to suffer defeat once they got into the ring with me. It didn't matter who won. As far as the business side of it, I thought it was stupid to put him out there with only 1 professional fight to fight for a world title. You gotta cross your T's and dot your I's. One loss in this game now affects you and your market. You gotta be mindful of stuff like that because as far as marketability is concerned, you suffer from taking a loss like that. I thought it was a little premature for him to fight Salido for the belt, but at the same token, it didn't matter to me because I looked at them both as somebody I was gonna take the belt from.

PC: We spoke before and you said you pass on watching a lot of fights. With that one hitting so close to home, did you watch it or pass on it?

GR: Honestly, I really don't watch fights. Boxing is my life, it's what I do, so on my free time, I prefer not to watch it. But with that particular fight, I did watch it based on the fact that I knew I was the mandatory for the winner of that fight. Whoever won, I was gonna have to compete against, so I think it was smart for me and my team to actually sit down and actually critique both of these guys. I had never seen Lomachenko fight until then. From what I did see, he still fights like an amateur. That's another reason why I feel it was premature for him to fight for a title so soon. He still fights like an amateur. He doesn't have a lot of pop on his punches as far as his punching ability, and he has little flaws that I see a professional could jump on and take advantage of it. Salido did what I have always seen Salido do; same thing. He applies pressure, throws a lot of shots, and then tires out in the later rounds. It was an okay fight. We put an eye on it. I think it was in the benefit for both of them for it to work out the way it did. Salido losing the title on the scales, therefore he won't have to fight me, and Lomachenko losing the fight, therefore he don't have to face me. If I was to fight either Lomachenko or Salido, they would get embarassed.

PC: You told me before that guys like Abner Mares, who people think are all that, will either get exposed by you once you face them or prior to you facing them. So I take it you weren't all that surprised when Jhonny Gonzales stopped him.

GR: It didn't shock me too much with Jhonny. Jhonny always had a decent left hook. That's what he hit Abner with. I would have loved to see the fight play out a couple of more rounds just to see what would have happened. I honestly don't think the loss that Abner took will affect his credibility as far as his fan base because it wasn't like he took a beating for 12 rounds. He got caught early in the 1st round and never got a chance to recover. It could have been a lucky shot. Who knows what would have happened if he would have been able to recover and been able to change the fight. You never know what could have came out of that particular situation. It honestly didn't surprise me though. If the fight comes through with me and Jhonny, I would love to get that fight. I'll take the belt from him and if Abner wants a shot at his old belt, I would let him have a chance to get his belt back.

PC: I look forward to seeing you back in the ring hopefully for that WBO or WBC world title. Best of luck to you, Gary. Is there anything else you want to add?

GR: Not at all, man. I appreciate you having me, man.

Gary Russell Jr. talking that talk.........it's time for him to back it up now.

No more TBA:ufdup:

He wants Jhonny Gonzalez' head on a platter it seems. Says he's even been ducked by Jhonny:mjpls:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Saw Dan Rafael said that Charlo was still getting paid even though the fight was called. Molina of course, did not.

And the Mayweather ducking Lara stuff is pretty absurd. With Mayweather's current contract it is all about profit maximization. Fighting Lara may be a good match for the hardcore boxing fan, but it does nothing to sell PPV's.
The better fight is to match Canelo and Lara to determine the best 154 fighter not named Floyd. Canelo has a built in fan base and could sell that fight to his more modest PPV expectations...Canelo-Angulo is expected to be around 400,000 buys.
Having that fight builds Lara's profile...although many are turned off by the stylistic matchup that Mayweather-Lara is expected to be. I also still believe that Golden Boy would love to build Canelo into a beast beating top opponents, just in case a rematch with Floyd was possible at the end of his contract. Otherwise the try to have him be their next PPV guy to carry ratings.

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset
Saw Dan Rafael said that Charlo was still getting paid even though the fight was called. Molina of course, did not.

And the Mayweather ducking Lara stuff is pretty absurd. With Mayweather's current contract it is all about profit maximization. Fighting Lara may be a good match for the hardcore boxing fan, but it does nothing to sell PPV's.
The better fight is to match Canelo and Lara to determine the best 154 fighter not named Floyd. Canelo has a built in fan base and could sell that fight to his more modest PPV expectations...Canelo-Angulo is expected to be around 400,000 buys.
Having that fight builds Lara's profile...although many are turned off by the stylistic matchup that Mayweather-Lara is expected to be. I also still believe that Golden Boy would love to build Canelo into a beast beating top opponents, just in case a rematch with Floyd was possible at the end of his contract. Otherwise the try to have him be their next PPV guy to carry ratings.
Floyd is calming his next 3 opponents have to had earn that shot, so Garcia is the only viable opponent post Maidana as of now.....

Whoever wants Lara Floyd:pacspit:

Still :mjlol: at how Canelo shytted on Lara with a prime Oscar's swag......................:banderas:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Floyd is calming his next 3 opponents have to had earn that shot, so Garcia is the only viable opponent post Maidana as of now.....

Whoever wants Lara Floyd:pacspit:

Still :mjlol: at how Canelo shytted on Lara with a prime Oscar's swag......................:banderas:

I know.

I was just rewatching that again:heh:

Lara (19-1-2, 12 KOs), who, like Alvarez, is promoted by Golden Boy, took to the podium at the press conference and, with Alvarez standing right next to him, said, “Everyone wants to see the fight. When can you and I fight?”

It was only Lara’s latest attempt to lure Alvarez (43-1-1, 31 KOs) into facing him. Calm and cool, the Mexican star didn’t miss a beat.

“Everyone wants to see it? Who wants to see the fight,” Alvarez asked the crowd inside the media center at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

One person raised his hand – Luis DeCubas Jr., Lara’s manager.

“Isn’t that that your manager,” Alvarez asked Lara in a mocking fashion that drew laughter from the crowd. “This is not how you make fights, so you’ll have to wait.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael

He dismissed him like he was bugging him:russ:

"This is not how you make fights, so you'll have to wait":dead:

Put that nikka at the back of the line:bryan:

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
I legit felt bad for Lara there. Looks like he got shook once he actually stepped up.:lolbron:

Every statement he made could have been ended with :skip:

But everyone on twitter wants to see the fight :skip:

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
fukk you mean "this is not how you make fights" nikka that's exactly how you make fights :comeon: Gotta put yourself out there and build it up.

And I find it even funnier that this is coming from Canelo. Mind you, this is the same Canelo that pulled himself out of the undercard of Mayweather's undercard last year in May because they wouldn't guarantee him a Mayweather fight in September (and Floyd sonned him, telling him he don't run shyt, wait in line freckle face). Is that how you "make fights" :skip:

I swear, Canelo has become quite a diva ever since he got that Floyd fight :smh:

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset
I legit felt bad for Lara there. Looks like he got shook once he actually stepped up.:lolbron:

Every statement he made could have been ended with :skip:

But everyone on twitter wants to see the fight :skip:
That shyt was that ether, Canelo kept the facade and PR mode up and aint pay this lil nikka no mind, he didnt blink get flustered or nothing......Lara overestimated his hand here, he thought Canelo actually fears his average ass, when Lara saw otherwise and reality hit him it shook him to the core. The mental battle goes to Canelo although I always felt he'll beat the brakes off of Lara who has seemingly avoided fighters with good hand speed........

Expect a Canelo Mayweather rematch when Canelo gets a 160 strap, to much money to be made there still, even if the fight does half the numbers

Nobody on twitter want to see this got damn match, @King P and his boys better cut that shyt out............

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset
fukk you mean "this is not how you make fights" nikka that's exactly how you make fights :comeon: Gotta put yourself out there and build it up.

And I find it even funnier that this is coming from Canelo. Mind you, this is the same Canelo that pulled himself out of the undercard of Mayweather's undercard last year in May because they wouldn't guarantee him a Mayweather fight in September (and Floyd sonned him, telling him he don't run shyt, wait in line freckle face). Is that how you "make fights" :skip:

I swear, Canelo has become quite a diva ever since he got that Floyd fight :smh:
Canelo can do what he wants post Mayweather, dude was on the second biggest PPV in boxings history.......

Now if his numbers flop with Angulo, then you can call him a diva, but the truth is no name calling needs to happen in regards to Lara. Why has Lara not rematched Vanes or Molina, and the top dog is scared of his ass......................