Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
I also think Provodnikov still gives Bradley a good fight if they ever rematch, but I don't think it's going to be as close or some FOTY type bout. I'd still pick Bradley to win, but the difference between Bradley and Malignaggi is that he's shown throughout his career that he's a much better overall boxer than Provodnikov while Malinaggi hasn't shown that's he's a much better overall boxer than Maidana. The supposed gap in skills doesn't really exist in that match up like the gap in skill that exists in Bradley/Provodnikov.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the thing is...I dont think he has THAT type of boxing style. He has some boxing skill but he has been fighting a style that is not complimentary of him for some time now. That style only works against guys that cant punch and he can overpower. I dont think he can change straight away to be moving like those guys you mentioned. Well, he dont have no feet like SRL or Floyd....no way. Bradley has always been a guy that could fight on his toes too since he was fighting on Shobox. Whether he chose to do that or not, was a different story. I think AB should fight the same style he fought last time. He just needs movement. More head, feet, and hand movement.

agreed

Broner doesn't even fight like that. That's not what he does

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Broner is one of them dudes where you have to make what he's already good at sharper. Don't get him to switch his style up and starting moving a whole bunch. Just make him fight a lil smarter..(jab more, work the body, square up less, etc..)

Pretty much what Garcia did to Maidana. You try to make an overhaul of a boxers style an you'll get what Amir Khan is now under Hill. A guy who doesn't look comfortable trying to box at a more measured pace when he's use to throwing quick combos backing guys up while moving in an out.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lets look at it this way. we are only talking about official losses...ok? Cotto, Hatton, Diaz, Khan, and Broner.

not one of those fighters can Maidana be considered better than unless you want to say Broner...and that isnt clear unless he beats him again. every fighter Paulie lost to is better than Maidana. and Paulie won rounds on Broner, just didnt put him down. I dont think he lost to Ndou. Ndou was no more crude than Maidana. Paulie really lost to guys who had physical advantages over him. Cotto was a BIG jww with boxing skill that puts Maidana to shame. Hatton too physical..and knew how to use that physicality, plus a good body puncher. the only fight I would say he lost where he had somewhat even physical matchup was AB and he didnt do bad in that fight. Paulie's issue has always been brittle hands. He never could put the type of hurt on an opponent to totally discourage them from consistently staying in firing range.

A loss is a loss man whether it's official or not. Paulie's had the benefit of getting a couple of decisions in his favor.

You said Paulie would out box the shiit out of Maidana. When you say he would out box the shiit out of him, it's like your saying he would beat him in a shut out. He didn't outbox the shiit out of Ndou in their 2nd fight, a guy that is nowhere near as good as Maidana. The 2nd fight was debatable. He did not outbox the shiit out of Cayo. Ngoudjo simply got robbed.

I give Paulie credit for being able to stay relevant. I've always been impressed how he has managed his career, especially after the beating he got from Khan. It's just that he's on the same tier as guys like Maidana, Josesito Lopez, Soto Karass, etc.

The issue I have with Paulie is that I see fans paint him as some master boxer, which is not the case. Boxing is hit & not get hit. Paulie
doesn't do that. Paulie gets hit all the time. He out hustles guys

We'll agree to disagree

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
A loss is a loss man whether it's official or not. Paulie's had the benefit of getting a couple of decisions in his favor.

You said Paulie would out box the shiit out of Maidana. When you say he would out box the shiit out of him, it's like your saying he would beat him in a shut out. He didn't outbox the shiit out of Ndou in their 2nd fight, a guy that is nowhere near as good as Maidana. The 2nd fight was debatable. He did not outbox the shiit out of Cayo. Ngoudjo simply got robbed.

I give Paulie credit for being able to stay relevant. I've always been impressed how he has managed his career, especially after the beating he got from Khan. It's just that he's on the same tier as guys like Maidana, Josesito Lopez, Soto Karass, etc.

The issue I have with Paulie is that I see fans paint him as some master boxer, which is not the case. Boxing is hit & not get hit. Paulie
doesn't do that. Paulie gets hit all the time. He out hustles guys

We'll agree to disagree

I've pretty much said the same thing you just said in my last several posts regarding a fight with Maidana and Paulie. I don't see how anybody can think Paulie boxes the shyt outta of Maidana after all the struggle performances he's had in his career against lesser fighters than Maidana.

Fans have always overrated Paulie's boxing ability, but after his fight with Broner that shyt has gone over board. nikkas is trying to make him out to be some master ring technician like he's Michael Nunn or some shyt. I never met anybody in real life that has given Paulie as much props as he gets online. Most nikkas see him as a dude who throws a bunch of pity pat jabs while moving around in circles. It works against a certain level of fighter, but against guys on his level or above the success rate drops and he struggles more or just plain loses.

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
:smugbiden:

Mayorga...........I remember him as a guy who only fought in spurts, had virtually no defense, wild looping punches, no jab; Though ery fast hands, very hard punches, very strong chin. Maidana in my view is right there with Mayorga in all last three categories. Ricardo always came to fight, but not always in top shape. But if we're talking a mythical dedicated Mayorga taking on Maidana, fine.......that guy only existed once but hey who's counting? (bringing up 6 heads, he won't shyt, never was shyt)

He'd still llose, only he makes it interesting, both guys hurt and/or probably tasting the canvas and his only real chance at winning would be by KO. Maidana is crude but he's a MUCH better body puncher, his jab and closing right hand are better than before, can fight all 12 rounds and not just in spurts. Neither guy can fight all that well backing up because it's not their style, but Maidana is still better technically than a guy who basically has a strong overhand right and weird uppercut and that was it. He'd jump in with a left hook at times, but that's it. Maidana's not a slick boxer, but he can box better than Mayorga who......to this day I doubt he even knows what the fukk he was doing, to him it was just fighting. Maidana picks up a world class trainer, can KO Lopez, Soto Karass and embarrass Broner and still be seen as the same guy who lost to Devon Alexander in his first bout up pre-Garcia, incredible......incredible how much trainers are disrespected around here but that's what ya'll wanna do even with resulting proof, fine. :ehh:

...he was thoroughly entertaining, made weight every time to my knowledge, but was never in great shape. Could he have done more has he dedicated himself? fukk yeah, but he didn't. The Mayorga that KO'd Forrest was a beast incarnate........shame we never saw that guy again, but he had his spurts didn't he?

And @LauderdaleBoss already explained how overrated Paulie is becoming. I blame Nazim talking about his success despite his punching power. Every time that Brotha speaks, we listen, and for great reason, however, Paulie is not some outside boxing genius, he's just active with his jab, which if other fighters would understand how useful that would be and stop relying on power punches, would have even MORE success than they already have.........just sayin :ld:

See, Paulie is FORCED to have a great jab, and it shows what a great jab can do for a fighter.......but Maidana would :heh: that and bum rush him for 12 rounds. Paulie is good, but not THAT good. Certainly not elite level good, never had been. He can prove me wrong in the future and since I like Paulie I hope he does, but as of right now, he's food for Maidana, make that fight and watch @krackdagawd end up with a new avatar for a week :myman:

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
:ufdup: I said he would beat your boy Lucas

I said no way he loses to Maidana by no 117-111. :camby:
116-112, but it would not be any closer than that..........don't worry bruh...........I got two different avatars ready for you in case of either bout taking place, you have nothing to worry about, you're in good hands :jawalrus:

Matthysse is another guy who would benefit with having a better trainer.....all those physical tools could be sharpened into a Hattori Hanzo samurai sword :wow:

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
:smugbiden:

Mayorga...........I remember him as a guy who only fought in spurts, had virtually no defense, wild looping punches, no jab; Though ery fast hands, very hard punches, very strong chin. Maidana in my view is right there with Mayorga in all last three categories. Ricardo always came to fight, but not always in top shape. But if we're talking a mythical dedicated Mayorga taking on Maidana, fine.......that guy only existed once but hey who's counting? (bringing up 6 heads, he won't shyt, never was shyt)

He'd still llose, only he makes it interesting, both guys hurt and/or probably tasting the canvas and his only real chance at winning would be by KO. Maidana is crude but he's a MUCH better body puncher, his jab and closing right hand are better than before, can fight all 12 rounds and not just in spurts. Neither guy can fight all that well backing up because it's not their style, but Maidana is still better technically than a guy who basically has a strong overhand right and weird uppercut and that was it. He'd jump in with a left hook at times, but that's it. Maidana's not a slick boxer, but he can box better than Mayorga who......to this day I doubt he even knows what the fukk he was doing, to him it was just fighting. Maidana picks up a world class trainer, can KO Lopez, Soto Karass and embarrass Broner and still be seen as the same guy who lost to Devon Alexander in his first bout up pre-Garcia, incredible......incredible how much trainers are disrespected around here but that's what ya'll wanna do even with resulting proof, fine. :ehh:

...he was thoroughly entertaining, made weight every time to my knowledge, but was never in great shape. Could he have done more has he dedicated himself? fukk yeah, but he didn't. The Mayorga that KO'd Forrest was a beast incarnate........shame we never saw that guy again, but he had his spurts didn't he?

And @LauderdaleBoss already explained how overrated Paulie is becoming. I blame Nazim talking about his success despite his punching power. Every time that Brotha speaks, we listen, and for great reason, however, Paulie is not some outside boxing genius, he's just active with his jab, which if other fighters would understand how useful that would be and stop relying on power punches, would have even MORE success than they already have.........just sayin :ld:

See, Paulie is FORCED to have a great jab, and it shows what a great jab can do for a fighter.......but Maidana would :heh: that and bum rush him for 12 rounds. Paulie is good, but not THAT good. Certainly not elite level good, never had been. He can prove me wrong in the future and since I like Paulie I hope he does, but as of right now, he's food for Maidana, make that fight and watch @krackdagawd end up with a new avatar for a week :myman:

Exactly. Cats often forget that guys like Nazim are human and also subject to mistakes such as false assessments of certain fighters and styles. I evaluate dudes with my own eyes. I don't need world class trainers to tell me who has the goods or not.

Some cats tend to piggy back off of some of these guys outlooks on fighters even though sometimes their views are flawed and there's proof against it, but cats will ignore that and you'll eventually have a bunch of nikkas repeating the same shyt even though it's not really logical or right.

In addition to that some people would rather sympathize with Paulie's brittle hands and lack of punching power than to see that his biggest liability has always been his defense which always ends up getting exposed against guys on his level or above.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@SuikodenII @LauderdaleBoss

I think you guys are overrating Maidana's boxing ability if you dont think Paulie can outbox him. I dont think anyone here said Paulie is a master boxer, correct me if I am wrong. I said he would box the shyt outta Maidana. Not the same thing. I really dont see that as being some tall order or putting Paulie on the level of Sweet Pea. I really wasnt going by Naazim. I am not even sure which interview you are talking about unless its the one where he said Paulie was a special fighter because he has won titles and has zero punch. I dont remember Brother saying Paulie was a special boxer. I never saw him as one, but good enough to outbox opposition who wasnt as good as him technically but lacking the power to discourage stronger fighters from getting up in his personal space.

Only thing I can say is there are two opinions here. One that thinks Paulie beats Maidana and vice-versa. We can talk about what we see with our eyes and what not, the only thing we can hope for is a fight and see which opinion really holds true.

As far as the trainer, eh....subtle differences...but still see the same Maidana. Broner just didnt do his fukking homework. Let's get off Paulie and get on the fact that Maidana's days as WW champ are already numbered. He'd just better hope he can cash out with Floyd before his time runs out.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Broner is one of them dudes where you have to make what he's already good at sharper. Don't get him to switch his style up and starting moving a whole bunch. Just make him fight a lil smarter..(jab more, work the body, square up less, etc..)

Pretty much what Garcia did to Maidana. You try to make an overhaul of a boxers style an you'll get what Amir Khan is now under Hill. A guy who doesn't look comfortable trying to box at a more measured pace when he's use to throwing quick combos backing guys up while moving in an out.

also, you get a guy KTFO. Broner aint used to that moving like that. he has a simple style...guard then attack. too late to be fukkin with his style now. even going back to the high guard would get him KTFO to the body. What he needs to do is work on a game plan and execute it in sparring. Keeping a distance and using the jab, which was effective when he did use it. he is not going to be a mover...and truth is, you dont have to move a lot to make someone miss. he needs to learn how to turn his opponent and move his head. he's got the reflexes....he just fights in a style that looks lazy as hell.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
even going back to the high guard would get him KTFO to the body.
i was wondering when someone was going to point this out that high guard that broner has always makes me think he is going to get knocked out to the body every fight he has. he has that right elbow thats supposed to be covering up his liver all the way up at his chest. i keep thinking there is going to be rico ramos vs rigondeaux moment at any time he cant just keep getting away with doing that

iUZGwCYUoS6Jn.gif

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
another thing is, we need a Controversial Decision thread. Duke said a loss is a loss. Not in my book. Just like Floyd said...there's no such thing as a "really won". If its highway robbery, yeah. But people throw around that word robbery too much. If a case can be made for a fighter winning its not a robbery.

I have said this before about Alexander-Matthysse...whereas people said that was a robbery. I didnt see it that way. What I saw was a lot of close rounds that easily couldve went both ways depending on what you were looking at but the judges giving them to Alexander because he landed more. Yeah, I know, he only landed like 1 or 2 punches more per round....but it was enough to win that round. He put those rounds in the bank. the rounds Alexander won, he didnt do shyt. the problem for Matthysse was he did less. Now...when it gets to the last 4 rounds or so, Matthysse goes crazy. wins his rounds big. iirc the judges may have given Alexander the last round. in a 10 round fight, if Alexander wins 6 rounds by razor thin margin and Matthysse wins 3 rounds big including a 10-8 round...at the end it comes down to points which are added up by rounds won.
Alexander may have got the shyt kicked out of him but he was credited enough rounds to get the victory...which is by no means a robbery.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I've pretty much said the same thing you just said in my last several posts regarding a fight with Maidana and Paulie. I don't see how anybody can think Paulie boxes the shyt outta of Maidana after all the struggle performances he's had in his career against lesser fighters than Maidana.

Fans have always overrated Paulie's boxing ability, but after his fight with Broner that shyt has gone over board. nikkas is trying to make him out to be some master ring technician like he's Michael Nunn or some shyt. I never met anybody in real life that has given Paulie as much props as he gets online. Most nikkas see him as a dude who throws a bunch of pity pat jabs while moving around in circles. It works against a certain level of fighter, but against guys on his level or above the success rate drops and he struggles more or just plain loses.

If you're a master boxer, you hit me, and it feels like a soft breeze in a midsummers night. There is nothing you can do I will fukking throw everything and wont give a shyt, you cant do anything to me.

Thats why a guy like paulie is sad, no one is afraid they know nothing will happen. Floyd still has enough power so you give him respect.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i was wondering when someone was going to point this out that high guard that broner has always makes me think he is going to knocked out to the body every fight he has. he has that right elbow thats supposed to be covering up his liver all the way up at his chest. i keep thinking there is going to be rico ramos vs rigondeaux moment at any time he cant just keep getting away with doing that

iUZGwCYUoS6Jn.gif

this is why Floyd Mayweather is so masterful. its not really about the different defensive styles but more so when you use them. Floyd uses high guard when he goes into counter mode with the lead right. he uses the shoulder roll against the ropes for slipping. he uses the shoulder/shell in the center of the ring when in counter mode with the cross.

Broner and other fighters change from style to style. its not perfected. Floyd fought the same styles coming up. Another example is Winky Wright. A guy who started boxing late. He found a style that worked for him and mastered it.

Last edited: