Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
:smugbiden:

-Maidana, right now, would beat the hell out of prime Ricardo Mayorga.

-Maidana, right now, would beat the hell out of Antonio Diaz

-Maidana, right now, wouldn't be a fair fight against a 140lb Jesse James Leija

-Maidana, at 140lb before Robert Garcia, would still beat Leija, but in a decision, Leija I believe was slick enough to win 3-5 rounds even at the tail end of his career and not get stopped

-Maidana, right now, would beat Paulie Malignaggi, right now. KO? No, decision, 117-111 range, no way Paulie keeps him at bay, movement & jab not good enough.

Maidana is a monster right now, keep doubting the effect of having a good trainer has on certain fighters.......

Ari Gold Bawse

The Bawse of all Bosses
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
watch the kevin johnson fight and you will see fury has skills

he fights wild without his uncle in the corner.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale

-Maidana, at 140lb before Robert Garcia, would still beat Leija, but in a decision, Leija I believe was slick enough to win 3-5 rounds even at the tail end of his career and not get stopped

-Maidana, right now, would beat Paulie Malignaggi, right now. KO? No, decision, 117-111 range, no way Paulie keeps him at bay, movement & jab not good enough.

Maidana is a monster right now, keep doubting the effect of having a good trainer has on certain fighters.......

I see Maidana/Mayorga as 50/50, although I think Mayorga is the better fighter (more power, quicker hands). but I agree with everything else.

On another not when comparing guys like Paulie and Maidana, most people tend to just gravitate towards the boxer in match ups that deal with brawlers due to them overstating the obvious skills seen in the boxer, all the while under appreciating the intangibles that the puncher/brawler brings to the table.

Sure, utilizing a good jab and movement should be acknowledged, but so should power, toughness and determination. It's not an easy task to keep charging at a guy throwing bombs while eating jabs and feints all night. Hanging in their to break opponents down is a skill in itself.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I said Leija and Maidana are on the same level. I never proposed a hypothetical match because Leija was a small guy who's started around 122 and best weight was 135.

Thats bold to say Maidana would beat prime Mayorga. Mayorga at 147 is the better fighter. Bigger, stronger, and hit much harder. Breh...u really think Broner that lost to Maidana couldve went 12 rounds with Mayorga??? the guy that separated Forrest (a far superior fighter to Broner) from his senses? the guy that put 6 Heads on queer street? Mayorga wasnt as crude a boxer as you think. He won a decision over Forrest. He was wild and unorthodox and slapped a lot...but his strength and power undeniable. Have you seen his knuckles? nikka got moose knuckles. Of course Mayorga would let Maidana get in a couple of free shots too. :smugbiden:
:ufdup: dont disrepect the nikkaraguan gawd of supreme fukkery :blessed:

BmaXc92.png

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I see Maidana/Mayorga as 50/50, although I think Mayorga is the better fighter (more power, quicker hands). but I agree with everything else.

On another not when comparing guys like Paulie and Maidana, most people tend to just gravitate towards the boxer in match ups that deal with brawlers due to them overstating the obvious skills seen in the boxer, all the while under appreciating the intangibles that the puncher/brawler brings to the table.

Sure, utilizing a good jab and movement should be acknowledged, but so should power, toughness and determination. It's not an easy task to keep charging at a guy throwing bombs while eating jabs and feints all night. Hanging in their to break opponents down is a skill in itself.

I dont think so. I think its the opposite a lot of times if not more. I wasnt even a big Danny Garcia fan at the time....one of his biggest critics...and you guys asked me why I was so sure he would beat Matthysse. Everybody and their momma picked Matthysse. Matthysse may be the exception to the rule...but I dont see the intangibles.

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
I dont think so. I think its the opposite a lot of times if not more. I wasnt even a big Danny Garcia fan at the time....one of his biggest critics...and you guys asked me why I was so sure he would beat Matthysse. Everybody and their momma picked Matthysse. Matthysse may be the exception to the rule...but I dont see the intangibles.

You gotta remember I was never one of those dudes claiming that Lucas should be favored and beats the shyt outta Danny. You can check my posts. I always stated that LM/Garcia was an even fight. I still picked LM to win, but I've mentioned before that if Garcia implements some movement and boxes a bit he could win. It's just that up until that point he never showed that much of that side of his game.

That's also a bad example since both boxers were looked at as good punchers.

Paulie vs Maidana is the classic example of a boxer vs brawler/puncher and most often dudes will look at the guy that can jab and move and forget what the puncher brings to the table which is very short sighted in this case because Paulie pretty much lost/struggled badly to a lesser version of Maidana. It's hard to look at his performance in that fight and say he outboxes the shyt out of Maidana.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always wanted to see Mayorga vs Margarito:ohlawd:

Mayorga at that time wouldve beat the juice outta Margarito. Margarito was a big guy with volume punching. Clottey was fukkin him up til he broke both hands on his face. Margs slow. Could deal with speed at all. Mayorga had enough speed to get his power off...he'd KO Margs IMO, no doubt about it. Mayorga also had a granite chin. Now I am speaking of Mayorga at 147. he wasnt shyt after that. the smoking, drinking, and lack of training made him a shell of what he was at 147. he really couldve became a champ a few times over at WW. he was flawed and could be beat but he was a force to be reckoned with physically for any 147 lber.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Maybe I'm crazy but Broner was backing Maidana up in the middle rounds. He got his whooped butnbut act like dude didn't do good. His problem ain't his coach. It's him. He didn't listen to a single word his said. His ego got the best of him.

ultimately he is the problem (no pun) but you gotta go with the stance that others are taking that Stafford cant control him. if he cant control him then he aint the guy to lead him.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You gotta remember I was never one of those dudes claiming that Lucas should be favored and beats the shyt outta Danny. You can check my posts. I always stated that LM/Garcia was an even fight. I still picked LM to win, but I've mentioned before that if Garcia implements some movement and boxes a bit he could win. It's just that up until that point he never showed that much of that side of his game.

Paulie vs Maidana is the classic example of a boxer vs brawler/puncher and most often dudes will look at the guy that can jab and move and forget what the puncher brings to the table which is very short sighted in this case because Paulie pretty much lost/struggled badly to a lesser version of Maidana. It's hard to look at his performance in that fight and say he outboxes the shyt out of Maidana.

I think it can go either way. I always knew B-Hop would be Tito. not the same example, I know, but close enough. I won money on that fight at 3-1 odds. What I take into account is a boxer a lot of times also has a good game plan he can implement to take away the puncher's strengths. Holyfield did it to Tyson too. With a brawler/KO artist...they usually cant put together a game plan that cant be superseded by the boxer's gameplan(s). they really only have one plan and thats to throw with full power. while they are hunting, the boxer is out thinking them. again, this doesnt work all the time, but for a veteran like Paulie, I feel he has the knowledge and discipline to take Maidana to school.

as far as Matthysse, to tell you the truth, I didnt see him winning under any circumstances outside of landing a KO punch.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

also...not the same thing again, I know...but NO WAY Prov puts hands on Bradley like he did the 1st time.

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
I think it can go either way. I always knew B-Hop would be Tito. not the same example, I know, but close enough. I won money on that fight at 3-1 odds. What I take into account is a boxer a lot of times also has a good game plan he can implement to take away the puncher's strengths. Holyfield did it to Tyson too. With a brawler/KO artist...they usually cant put together a game plan that cant be superseded by the boxer's gameplan(s). they really only have one plan and thats to throw with full power. while they are hunting, the boxer is out thinking them. again, this doesnt work all the time, but for a veteran like Paulie, I feel he has the knowledge and discipline to take Maidana to school.

The thing is with all these examples you're naming none of those dudes/boxer styles lost or struggled badly with lesser versions of their future opponents. To me that just nullifies everything you keep saying. You're basically looking hard at something that hasn't shown itself in these clash of styles used by Malinaggi and Maidana.

Hopkins, Holyfield although were underdogs actually had and shown overall better boxing skills than Trinidad and Tyson. Paulie may be the boxer in a potential Maidana match up, but he hasn't shown himself to be the better overall boxer since he gets hit just as much as Maidana does who has actually puts himself in the position to get hit more due to his style.

For example Tua is looked at as a lesser version of Tyson. I wouldn't think Bryd could hang with Tyson if he couldn't beat Tua.

You're pretty much saying that even though Paulie lost/struggled badly with Cano, he'll still be able to beat a better version of that fighter in Maidana.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think Maidana is made for a guy like Mayorga. A prime 147 Mayorga was broke, ran 5 plus miles a day, & sparred all the time. Mayorga has problems with guys that have a skill advantage.