Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
:heh: A very contentious dinner tonight in the @Newzz household!

About Bridgework fought a close fight even with the 2 KD's if he actually boxed and properly clinched he could have won that fight, hopefully he's gonna come correct in the rematch
Wasn't a close fight at all. Maidana clearly won. Broner is gonna lose again and will officially be Andre Berto status. In fact, that should be his next fight after this ass whooping he takes

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Article Link -http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=72788#ixzz2q2PzOIj0
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

get

No Maidana-Broner Rematch Clause; Many Options For Each
Posted by: David P. Greisman on 12/15/2013 .
>>>Click Here For Tons of More Breaking Boxing News, Articles and Insider Information<<<

by David P. Greisman

There is no contractual clause that would mandate a rematch between newly crowned welterweight titleholder Marcos Maidana and now-deposed Adrien Broner, whom Maidana topped by unanimous decision on Saturday night.

Nevertheless, Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions said immediately afterward that he “wouldn’t mind a rematch.”

That would easily be doable, given that Golden Boy works with both Maidana and Broner.

Broner said afterward that he wanted an immediate rematch: “I don’t need a warm-up fight,” he said.

Maidana also wasn’t opposed to the idea: “I have no problems with a rematch,” he said.

Yet Schaefer also noted that there are many options available for each.

He noted that this was Broner’s second fight at welterweight, with the first coming as a split decision over Paulie Malignaggi this past June. Before that, he’d been a titleholder at junior lightweight and lightweight, then jumped up two divsions.

“I think he’s going to have to see if he wants to stay at 147 or wants to go down,” Schaefer said. “At the weigh-in, he came in way below 147 [at 144.2 pounds]. He told me at the weigh in [that] he can still make 135.”

Broner still holds his world title at lightweight.

“I would like to do a rematch, so why not?” Schaefer added later. “But there are other great fights and opportunities out there for Broner or for Maidana.”

Golden Boy works with several name fighters in the welterweight division, who are now potential foes for Maidana.

“I just had a new 147-pound IBF world champion here, Shawn Porter, and he said, ‘Look, I want to unify it,’ ” Schaefer said.

Among the other names Golden Boy has at welterweight are Keith Thurman, who stopped Jesus Soto Karass on Saturday’s undercard, Malignaggi, Victor Ortiz, Devon Alexander, Robert Guerrero and Amir Khan. And then there are junior welterweights such as Danny Garcia, Lucas Matthysse and Lamont Peterson.

Schaefer brought up the idea of Maidana vs. Thurman, and then, perhaps pondering the potential carnage, began laughing: “I can’t do that, come on,” he said repeatedly.

“The other fight that’s going to have to happen is Maidana vs. Matthysse,” he said. “You know how many great options we have?”

Pick up a copy of David’s new book, “Fighting Words: The Heart and Heartbreak of Boxing,” athttp://bit.ly/fightingwordsamazon or internationally at http://bit.ly/fightingwordsworldwide . Send questions/comments via email at fightingwords1@gmail.com

>>>Click Here For Tons of More Breaking Boxing News, Articles and Insider Information<<<

There was no contract clause which would cause for an immediate rematch between Maidana and Broner.....but Schaefer is saying now that "Broner has picked up his rematch option". How?:dwillhuh:

I thought Maidana was an option for Floyd in May? If Floyd hasnt picked his opponent yet, which is what he's saying, and Broner didnt have a rematch clause, why is Maidana being put back in the ring with Broner?

:youngsabo:

Last edited:

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
Props to Broner for stepping right back in the ring against Chino. Anxious to see how he responds after his loss. This could be a make or break fight for Broner.

He could either be Sugar Ray Leonard or Sugar Shane Mosley

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
@Newzz looks like theres only one person with a real boxing IQ in that household :mjpls:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Props to Broner for stepping right back in the ring against Chino. Anxious to see how he responds after his loss. This could be a make or break fight for Broner.

He could either be Sugar Ray Leonard or Sugar Shane Mosley

I was just coming here to make the same reference to Shane Mosley:salute:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Adrien Broner wants rematch
Updated: January 10, 2014, 5:47 PM ET
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Adrien Broner, who got knocked down twice, badly roughed up and lost his welterweight title to Marcos Maidana by clear unanimous decision on Dec. 14, wants to try his luck with the Argentine slugger once again.

Broner exercised his contractual right to a rematch on Friday, Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com.

"My mind is set on war," Broner told ESPN.com on Friday. "I had a bad night. He was the better man that night, but he didn't beat me. He outhustled me. I respect everything. I respect him. But I'm ready to go back to war and get my belt back.

"I'm taking boxing back to what it used to be. They created a monster. (The loss) woke up a monster."

Schaefer said he thinks the fight will be either April 19 or April 26 and take place at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., or San Antonio's Alamodome, which was where the December fight took place.

Although the underdog, Maidana, one of boxing's biggest punchers, stormed to Broner in the first round and never let up during a dramatic fight of the year candidate.

Maidana (35-3, 31 KOs) let his power shots fly and knocked Broner (27-1, 22 KOs) down in the second and eighth rounds, bloodied his nose and dished out a lot of punishment in the 117-109, 116-109, 115-110 victory.

"I think the first fight was a helluva fight and a fight of the year candidate," said Schaefer, who originally said at ringside after the fight that there was no rematch clause but corrected his mistake Friday. "Adrien is still very young and he wants to set the record straight. And for Maidana, I am sure he is licking his chops to get his hands on Broner again.

"I don't think there was much love between those two before the fight, during the fight or after the fight. I know we can expect fireworks again in the lead up to the fight, at the press conferences and during the fight. As a fight fan, I am excited. I can't wait."

Maidana, who won a world title in a second weight class, put on such an impressive performance that he was prominently mentioned as a possible May 3 opponent for pound-for-pound king and fellow welterweight titleholder Floyd Mayweather Jr., Broner's idol.

However, with Broner, 24, of Cincinnati, exercising his rematch clause with Maidana, 30, that almost certainly locks up the Mayweather fight for England's Amir Khan, the former junior welterweight titlist.

Schaefer declined Friday to comment on the status of the Mayweather fight.

Broner, who suffered the first loss of his career, also holds a lightweight title, but he has no intention of returning to that division or dropping down to the junior welterweight division.

"I wanted to go right back to camp after the fight but I knew my body wasn't able to go to camp physically," Broner said. "But mentally I wanted to box. I know what I gotta do in the rematch and I will do it. It will be a different outcome. I am starting to get myself ready. It'll be another good fight. I gotta go get mine back."

Broner, who was making his first defense after winning the welterweight belt in June by decision against Paulie Malignaggi, said he got over the loss quickly and was buoyed by support with daily phone calls from Mayweather, whom he calls his "big brother."

"I got real people in my corner," Broner said. "And I'm not going to change no trainers. It has nothing to do with the trainer. My trainer (Mike Stafford) can't fight for me. I have a helluva coach. He's one of the best in the world. So I took a loss. But my check was amazing."

While Maidana would prefer a more lucrative, higher-profile fight with Mayweather, manager Sebastian Contursi understands the rematch option.

"We are open to hear offers as always, and Broner may be of them, I guess," Contursi told ESPN.com. "All we know is Maidana has earned the right to fight for big money after his impressive win over Broner and after being one of the most attractive fighters out there in the last few years. ... But if Golden Boy and Al Haymon (adviser to Maidana, Broner and Mayweather) think a rematch with Broner is the best option, we will wait for their offer."

Said Broner: "The rematch will have a different outcome guaranteed. I'm happy for (Maidana). I want him to have his 15 minutes of fame. At the end of the day, nobody is talking about his victory. They are talking about Adrien Broner's loss. Some people don't even know who I lost to. They just know I lost."

We back:ohlawd:

h1i.gif

#BandCamp

:blessed:

Last edited:

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no interest in a Broner-Maidana rematch but we knew there was a huge chance that it would happen

As far as a prediction I'll have to think about. Broner has a really good chance. He has the experience of the first fight & he's definitely capable of winning rounds. I do believe he has a suspect chin & have doubts he can go a full 12 without suffering a couple of knockdowns.