Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
Roy Jones Jr. is at the Anderson Silva fight.........crowd cheered loud for em :obama:

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
Btw how many people here have ever tried to do the shoulder roll?

I was just doing some friendly sparring with my homeboy last week. Had him fire at will on me. That shyt had me with the :merchant: look the whole time.

That's why I have the utmost respect for anybody that uses that shyt effectively in boxing :wow:

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi

I was just doing some friendly sparring with my homeboy last week. Had him fire at will on me. That shyt had me with the :merchant: look the whole time.

That's why I have the utmost respect for anybody that uses that shyt effectively in boxing :wow:
I only train in my basement now, but I've been trying to work on the shoulder roll.....man it's a bytch. If you get it down pretty good then spar your shoulder is going to feel broken

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics

I don't think I have the reflexes for it.

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
I only train in my basement now, but I've been trying to work on the shoulder roll.....man it's a bytch. If you get it down pretty good then spar your shoulder is going to feel broken
Tell me about it. My shoulders were red as fukk, breh. Didn't get hit with alot of crazy shots, but I couldnt move my arm for a day lol

I don't think I have the reflexes for it.
I've actually always had pretty good reflexes thankfully. My biggest problem was anticipating the punches and rolling with them. The punch that my boy really had alot of success with though, was just a straight right down the middle.. Plus I learned the shoulder roll is useless if you don't throw anything back. Eventually you will get tagged and tagged hard.

When I used to go to the gym regularly to box, I saw alot of Mayweather fans with their struggle versions of the shoulder roll. I'm good on that. I'll just stink with the regular stance

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
youre not supposed to be blocking with it

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Y'all a lot more disciplined then me

Maybe cuz I trained with a bunch of Mexicans but offense was defense:shaq:

Come in with the double jab, dip , N come up with the Swift Hook (before that nikka made it famous) :banderas:

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
youre not supposed to be blocking with it
No you're not. But when you're at home/at the gym sparring with guys that aren't really trained and they're just throwing wild, your arms and shoulders are gonna bear the brunt of it lol

Come in with the double jab, dip , N come up with the Swift Hook (before that nikka made it famous) :banderas:
:russ:

When I went to the gym, we only had one Mexican there. And dude fought like Marquez. We were all :leon: @ how well he boxed

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
No you're not. But when you're at home/at the gym sparring with guys that aren't really trained and they're just throwing wild, your arms and shoulders are gonna bear the brunt of it lol

:russ:

When I went to the gym, we only had one Mexican there. And dude fought like Marquez. We were all :leon: @ how well he boxed

My pops taught me how to box N he loved the Jab....I could throw 100 jabs a Rd N he'd tell me..."you need to throw that Jab more"

I was one of the only Puerto Ricans at the gym N I can box...but you gotta show these Mexicans you can throw bombs :demonic:

Pops comes to the gym early N watch me spar N i was back to bouncin on my toes jab jab jab:youngsabo:

Amare's Right Hook

Southeast World Champion
Daps

The guys from Fight Sport I think the name of it is {guys travel the world, 2 of them, and train all styles} they went to Mexico and one went to Nacho's gym. He gets in the ring to spar doing some pit pat s-hit and Nacho stops him dead. " Look in Mexico we punch hard".

I was like :krs:, you tell em Nacho.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
how are you catching these right hands are you catching them flush on the shoulder? the shoulder roll doesnt actually have anything to do with the shoulder itself its really just a slip where your upper body shifts backwardly and away from right hands. that backward and away motion puts the shoulder in front of you but it just happens because of the way the body turns when you shift away from right hands the shoulder part of it is more of an accident than the actual point of doing the move. bill miller who first trained james toney and taught him how to fight called it a "twist" because of the way you twist the body away from right hands they didnt even refer to it as a shoulder anything which is really more accurate. it sounds like youre doing the andre berto shoulder roll where you cock the shoulder up like its there to block your jaw. shoulder roll is a slip not a way to block if the punches dont graze the shoulder youre doing it the wrong way as more of a block. its more of a from of head movement than anything.

i2HIGDejdjvqY.gif

Last edited:

mr. smoke weed

Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Tell me about it. My shoulders were red as fukk, breh. Didn't get hit with alot of crazy shots, but I couldnt move my arm for a day lol

I've actually always had pretty good reflexes thankfully. My biggest problem was anticipating the punches and rolling with them. The punch that my boy really had alot of success with though, was just a straight right down the middle.. Plus I learned the shoulder roll is useless if you don't throw anything back. Eventually you will get tagged and tagged hard.

When I used to go to the gym regularly to box, I saw alot of Mayweather fans with their struggle versions of the shoulder roll. I'm good on that. I'll just stink with the regular stance
The straight right or overhand right is the antithesis of the shoulder roll if you don't have your left shoulder and head moving almost the entire time. I recently learned how to throw a hard jab out of the roll and I'm loving it-but for any success you need A:Supreme Confidence in your ability to eat the punch with your shoulder B: Keep your head tucked behind the shoulder and about 3-4 inches behind it. C: Have the counter right ready to go at any second(depending on your foot positioning this can be a hard counter or just a stay the fukk back counter and the thing I have the most difficulty with D: Your foot positioning. Watch the difference between Floyd, James Toney and let's say Broner. Floyd keep's his feet closer together to duck dodge pivot to safety at any moment after delivering your counter. Toney's feet were further apart because he would mexican slip the punches then have a POWER counter ready to go. Yea the shoulder roll is a bytch, but it's fun to fukk around with. I like switching between the high guard and the shoulder roll it's definitely a mind fukk for the opponent. Especially if you can throw a hard snapping jab out of the roll.

mr. smoke weed

Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
how are you catching these right hands are you catching them flush on the shoulder? the shoulder roll doesnt actually have anything to do with the shoulder itself its really just a slip where your upper body shifts backwardly and away from right hands. that backward and away motion puts the shoulder in front of you but it just happens because of the way the body turns when you shift away from right hands the shoulder part of it is more of an accident than the actual point of doing the move. it sounds like youre doing the andre berto shoulder roll where you cock the shoulder up like its there to block your jaw. shoulder roll is a slip not a way to block if the punches dont graze the shoulder youre doing it the wrong way as more of a block. its more of a from of head movement than anything.

i2HIGDejdjvqY.gif
Props breh. However to breh's like King P and myself I think(speaking for myself) were just fukking around with the roll to try and learn it. Props for the info though :salute:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Never broke any knuckles, I'm sure I had micro fractures I just rested my hands. At one point in life I purposely calloused all of my knuckles by ditching hand wraps, doing knuckle pushups on rice and sand. But my hands were ugly so I let them get back to normal.

my knuckles are all calloused up esp from doing those..my gf hates them but im like its a badge of honor lol