Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

charknicks

All Star
Daps
Boxing is a business first, sport second & I look at it as such. When I talk about boxing as a business, it has NOTHING to do with what I want as a fan. It should of been obvious when I typed that post I was thinking like a promoter.

I'm talking to synistr from a business perspective because he knows what I'm talking about.

Respect what you are saying. I KNOW what you are taking about. I'm not saying business wise you are wrong. It just a new way of thinking that needs to change with boxing. It robs us true boxing fans of great fights. Hell, as hype as the fight was last night, the rematch is believeable on PPV, or at least in Vegas. We need more big fights. No guarantee of a rematch way down the line. Careers can end in 1 punch. Strike while the iron is hot. That's good business!

charknicks

All Star
Daps
check the smelling salts ariza gave maidana -

(click the pic)

this guy needs to be banned from the sport :camby:

Have they not used smellling salts in boxing for YEARS? I saw that in many a fight clip in the 70s and 80s. If he didnt rub anything on him, or injest anything, nothing to see here.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Somebody named "yuppie" posted in "Why did smelling salts get banned from boxing" g on boxingscene.com a few months ago.....here's his post and if true, fukk Madonna, Robert Garcia, AND Alex Ariza because that shyt is ridiculous:pacspit:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588536

Yuppie said:
you dont know anything about boxing

cant believe i have to write this, the reason why smelling salts arent used inbetween rounds is because the minerals in the salts travel down the veins and solidify veins and skin tissue in and around the knuckle area. Essentially turning your hands into stones, the effects only last for about 40 minutes. They also improve 8 punch combination's by about 70%.

I need an explanation from Ariza or Madonna or Garcia:ufdup:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Swift wasn't goin be an option he fought in Sept N AB was scheduled to fight in Nov then December

You want ABs fat self not fighting til March to wait for Danny?? Then if he vacates his 147 belt to go to 140 he looks like a bytch ducking Chino N then who would he fight?? Swift jus fought same as Matthysse...Peterson coming off a ko?? Lundy?? The nikka AB would a been killed in the media N by fans

Maidana was a big fight they had a great crowd, all access N a good buzz....not to mention Maidana is with Haymon N casuals already talking bout him with Floyd.... Ortiz proved you can look horrible in defeat to Maidana N still come back as a draw....AB will be fine

no. you are missing the whole point of what I am sayin and just subscribing to the theory that things are what they are because they have to be. I am not saying it like that. I am saying, not just boxing, but basketball and some other sports..there is a need to microwave these athletes and get hype train going instead of building fighters with character. I have no problem with AB fighting a soft touch then moving to Swift...but the promoter and the network wont allow it. so in that regard you are right, but it dont help the fighter in the long run.

they basically say sink or swim. so you put him in with a guy he shouldve beat but it wasnt a guarantee and it backfires. now what?

he didnt have to vacate, nonsense, one, MM wasnt the mandatory and two, AB still champ at 135. didnt the nikka say he was still keeping his title at 135? see, you aint putting together all the facts. so if he gets stripped of his lightweight title, who is he duckin? same principle breh. he always could use the lightweight title as his out. they were trying to play the balancing act.

its the game. I am not saying it is gonna change...but it doesnt build the fighter, just like kids jumping to the NBA when they aint ready further convolutes the IQ of the game.

Haymon couldve let AB leave that belt for Thurman but that is not what the main objective was. it was to build AB into a PPV star ASAP and now it will take a long time before the public believes he is anything more than a fraud unless he beats Maidana in a rematch then beats another top fighter in his next fight. its sorta like how HBO's plans for Jermain Taylor didnt work like they thought.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
As I think about it, AB caught Madonna at the end of the 11th round with that clean left hook a second after the bell rung. If I could see the footage, if this happened between the end of the 11th and start of the 12th round, it was DEFINITELY smelling salts he was given bc Madonna was still a little woozy when he came out for the 12th. Even the announcers pointed out that he didnt look fully recovered.

Smelling salts would've helped him regain his composure better and is definitely some bullshyt:camby:

That shyt "yuppie" was talking about is his info from wherever he got it from, but I do know smelling salts makes fighters more alert.

Let me find out this was in the corner before the 12th round:ufdup:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
As I think about it, AB caught Madonna at the end of the 11th round with that clean left hook a second after the bell rung. If I could see the footage, if this happened between the end of the 11th and start of the 12th round, it was DEFINITELY smelling salts he was given bc Madonna was still a little woozy when he came out for the 12th. Even the announcers pointed out that he didnt look fully recovered.

Smelling salts would've helped him regain his composure better and is definitely some bullshyt:camby:

That shyt "yuppie" was talking about is his info from wherever he got it from, but I do know smelling salts makes fighters more alert.

Let me find out this was in the corner before the 12th round:ufdup:
It may have helped, and if Ariza did that he needs to get punished. But with or without smelling salts, Broner wasn't going to KO Maidana.

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
well, if you remember, a while back we were saying AB wasnt ready for a guy like Guerrero. he would have to start a lot faster to be able to deal with Ortiz.

for the life of me, I dont understand why fighters come in the ring without being thoroughly warmed up (wet)
both fighters were dry yesterday at that(no homillz)

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
It may have helped, and if Ariza did that he needs to get punished. But with or without smelling salts, Broner wasn't going to KO Maidana.

If Madonna was still woozy after inhaling smelling salts, you dont think he would've been even worse without taking it? Especially with how aggressive AB started off that 12th round, we will never know, but it's still something to think about.

Madonna was tired and woozy and AB was very aggressive. Without the smelling salts, anything could've happened.

fukk Alex Ariza:pacspit:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Boxing is a business first, sport second & I look at it as such. When I talk about boxing as a business, it has NOTHING to do with what I want as a fan. It should of been obvious when I typed that post I was thinking like a promoter.

I'm talking to synistr from a business perspective because he knows what I'm talking about.

I know what you are talkin about but its a bad move IMO. get MM straight away before somebody else eats your lunch. if MM loses again, and AB beats another fighter...it would be pointless. sorta like Tszyu vs Phillips II which never happened. if his team believes in him, take the fight. if they dont, stay away. the biz is bullshyt. AB was basically brainwashed into thinking he would be a PPV star if he could beat certain guys. the quickest way to being a star is by not fukking around with guys like Maidana...and taking the fight that makes not only the most money but boosts your stature equally. Maidana was seen as high reward/low risk for him...but now that the risk was realized...whats the fallout? they didnt think that far ahead. if they wouldve have, he wouldnt have ran out of the ring like he did.