Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I definitely can agree that the hype can be too much...and that GGG should earn it by facing the top guys (do they necessarily want to fight him?).
I like GGG and what he continues to show impresses me.
Where I would absolutely say GGG is different from Lucas is in their boxing skill. Although GGG doesn't fight as a "slick" fighter and fights as an offensive fighter, I think it is pretty obvious that the way he moves around the ring, his body position, and his ability to throw punches/vary his offense is completely different and far greater than Lucas.

Matthysse is the classic puncher, who can be severely exposed by boxing skills....not sure GGG is that guy.

Why?? Stevens speed was bothering GGG early in the fight...what skilled boxer have we seen GGG face??

Matthysse fought Judah N Alexander N should have been "undefeated" ...Matthysse boxing skills N defense was "underrated"...Matthysse made subtle moves N was so much more then a brawler...:comeon:

You don't remember that shyt cuz I sure as hell do N that's with Mathhysse resume shytting all over GGGs

I ain't saying GGG is a bum but the nikka ain't fight nobody....that division is trash N the king is :flabbynsick:....hes got it made right now

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
completely agree man. It is not a slight against Floyd, because the guy naturally weighs around 150 pounds. But the idea that he will back GGG up is ludicrous.

who said Floyd would back GGG up?

Matthysse is the classic puncher, who can be severely exposed by boxing skills....not sure GGG is that guy.

I am ABSOLUTELY positive he is that guy for the simple fact that he would be going against P4P one of the top 5 greatest boxing skills ever showcased in the ring. trust me, I aint catchin no feelings. not even a Floyd stan like that. but I do have eyes.

hell, I think TCraw would beat AB but I have nothing to go by to substantuate it as far as what they have done in the ring. with Floyd, we dont been there and done that countless times.

give me a scenario/gameplan where GGG has more success than Canelo or Guerrero. (this is not to see he cant, just saying give me the blueprint as Oscar would say.)

:ufdup: then show me where that blueprint has A) ever been employed against him and B) has ever been successful in beating his style.

......:thinkin:

til then....anything else is running off at the mouth with no facts to back it up.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Why?? Stevens speed was bothering GGG early in the fight...what skilled boxer have we seen GGG face??

Matthysse fought Judah N Alexander N should have been "undefeated" ...Matthysse boxing skills N defense was "underrated"...Matthysse made subtle moves N was so much more then a brawler...:comeon:

You don't remember that shyt cuz I sure as hell do N that's with Mathhysse resume shytting all over GGGs

I ain't saying GGG is a bum but the nikka ain't fight nobody....that division is trash N the king is :flabbynsick:....hes got it made right now
Yeah, Matthysse wasn't just a brawler (like a Rios), I agree. I guess I meant that more in relation to GGG. Boxing skill wise I think GGG is more talented with his footwork and ability to throw punches.
I don't think GGG is some mythical figure who is unbeatable. So far I like what I see and I like the fact he is willing to fight anyone in the division (Quillin won't happen, DiBella is against Martinez fighting him)...so it looks like the next 3 guys in the division would be Geale, Barker, and Murray. Sounds like the Murray fight is being talked about....and I guess all three of those fighters like to mix it up a fair amount, rather than box and move, which would set up well for GGG. I would agree that it appears a guy who could box GGG (Ward) is not present in the 160 pound division.

For reference, I had Matthysse beating Alexander in a squeaker and losing to Judah in a tight fight.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

my dudes, this aint no GGG bashing party, but it is what it is.

I would go out on a limb and say Matthysse is just as good a fighter but in a much more competitive division than GGG. you are right....LM fought Judah and Alexander. He lost. But what fighter of that caliber has GGG faced? not to shyt on my dude Stevens either. he is a legitimate threat in the MW division on any given night but he is terribly limited with what he can do and the adjustments he can make.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
who said Floyd would back GGG up?

I am ABSOLUTELY positive he is that guy for the simple fact that he would be going against P4P one of the top 5 greatest boxing skills ever showcased in the ring. trust me, I aint catchin no feelings. not even a Floyd stan like that. but I do have eyes.

hell, I think TCraw would beat AB but I have nothing to go by to substantuate it as far as what they have done in the ring. with Floyd, we dont been there and done that countless times.

give me a scenario/gameplan where GGG has more success than Canelo or Guerrero. (this is not to see he cant, just saying give me the blueprint as Oscar would say.)

:ufdup: then show me where that blueprint has A) ever been employed against him and B) has ever been successful in beating his style.

......:thinkin:

til then....anything else is running off at the mouth with no facts to back it up.
Maybe not you, but others were saying he would beat GGG like he did Canelo. Floyd backed up Canelo most of the fight, which was so surprising. No way I think he could ever do that to GGG.

:stopitslime: At having to provide substantive evidence for the Floyd blueprint. Floyd is undefeated and the best fighter, no one has disputed that...in fact I continually say and agree with that. Last I checked this was a discussion and if we are talking about a hypothetical matchup, than our discussion is in nature hypothetical - even though it will be backed on what we know about the fighters.
Like I have said before: Floyd beating GGG would not surprise me. Floyd is that skilled. What I have been saying is that GGG with the fact that he is a much bigger opponent and possibly wouldn't be affected much by Floyd's punches would be able to keep coming forward and pressuring Floyd.
I think there are two obvious scenarios:
1. Floyd is far to quick and skilled and beats GGG in a decision.
2. GGG is able to come forward and hit Floyd with punches (even if not clean head shots) that wear Floyd down.

With Floyd's skill level, I still would put him as the favorite...but if I consider every fighter from 160 down, my opinion is that GGG has the best shot at beating Floyd vs. everyone else he could fight.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so it looks like the next 3 guys in the division would be Geale, Barker, and Murray.

those names dont excite me unless the sequencing of the fights are done right. Like if he were to face Barker/Sturm then say get Martinez next. Or get Murray, then Martinez...that would be a start. Still, mostly Euro fighters with same styles. If a Quillin match could be made, that would really enhance his resume in my eyes. I just dont value wins over Serge's leftovers that highly. I want to see him fight a style that is different and a fighter who hasnt truly been exposed yet.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok, lets take this GGG convo in another direction. and not just GGG exclusively...

....but...whatever happened to guys being hyped and being put in with TOP LEVEL opposition IMMEDIATELY? what happened to guys being hyped facing fighters they are projected to be underdogs against?

(I aint talkin bout Rigo either...because TR expected him to be Donaire's next meal.)

remember when Floyd was dog against Hernandez? remember when Roy was dog against Toney?

thats what I want to get back to. if you are so good.....prove it. why be scared? I'll tell you why. its because too much emphasis is placed on undefeated records and cashing out than fighter development.

if GRjr was so good....he'd be fighting somebody wouldnt he? but his people see something in him that keeps him away from challenges.

Lomanchenko? Now thats a guy I will have to stan pretty damn soon. If they are putting him in with Salido straight away?

:whew:

:salute:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
those names dont excite me unless the sequencing of the fights are done right. Like if he were to face Barker/Sturm then say get Martinez next. Or get Murray, then Martinez...that would be a start. Still, mostly Euro fighters with same styles. If a Quillin match could be made, that would really enhance his resume in my eyes. I just dont value wins over Serge's leftovers that highly. I want to see him fight a style that is different and a fighter who hasnt truly been exposed yet.
Problem is that the fights that you (and I want) have the least likelihood of being made. With the GB/TR cold war, Quillin-GGG is impossible right now. And Martinez has said he would fight GGG, but DiBella has said he would advise Martinez against that fight. DiBella knows GGG is the toughest fight he can make, and the reward wouldn't be any greater. Martinez is the cash draw and a GGG fight doesn't make him much, if any, extra money than fighter other contenders in the division. And now it sounds like a tune up of Martinez after his rehab and then potentially the Cotto fight, which is the matchup that Martinez can make to maximize his paycheck.

Definitely not putting the blame of no interest in a GGG fight on Martinez as all the insiders say it is DiBella.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Problem is that the fights that you (and I want) have the least likelihood of being made. With the GB/TR cold war, Quillin-GGG is impossible right now. And Martinez has said he would fight GGG, but DiBella has said he would advise Martinez against that fight. DiBella knows GGG is the toughest fight he can make, and the reward wouldn't be any greater. Martinez is the cash draw and a GGG fight doesn't make him much, if any, extra money than fighter other contenders in the division. And now it sounds like a tune up of Martinez after his rehab and then potentially the Cotto fight, which is the matchup that Martinez can make to maximize his paycheck.

Definitely not putting the blame of no interest in a GGG fight on Martinez as all the insiders say it is DiBella.

then what GGG needs to do is walk it like he talk it. do a Hagler. take no soft touches and concentrate on ruling the division and the fighters will flock to him.

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
GBP is a lot more likely to throw their young guys to the Wolves

Swift - Khan , Matthysse
Canelo - Trout, Floyd N (possibly Cotto)
Mares - fought Errybody

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Boxing is Still a Goddamned Tragedy
original.jpg

Two weeks. We made it two damn weeks.

The sport had not had time to mourn the passing of Franky Leal when Magomed Abdusalamov stepped into the ring last night against "Irish" Mike Perez. In a rare departure from recent heavyweight fights, it was a fun scrap. Both men displayed plenty of shortcomings, but that made for an exciting fight, as they traded an unusual number of punches for big men. Neither man went down, but both were wobbled on several occasions. By the middle rounds, it was clear that the slicker Cuban fighter, Perez, was outboxing the hulking, awkward Abdusalamov, but "Mago" remained a danger to stop the fight at any point with one of his massive winging hooks.

As we watched the brutish looking Abdusalamov absorb punishment, most of us didn't recoil in horror - we laughed. We laughed when he asked his corner if he had a broken nose after the first round (he did). We laughed again a few rounds later when he asked if his face was really swollen (it was). We laughed because fighters don't ask those sorts of questions. We laughed because Mago, of all guys, looked invulnerable to damage, especially from a smaller opponent with no significant wins on his resume. We laughed because Jim Lampley could do no better than guessing that "something is broken in his face." We laughed because it somehow all seemed so pathetic compared to the usual inspirational back and forth between a fighter and his corner. I thought it was funny enough to tweet some idiotic nonsense.

Boxing is a Goddamned Tragedy
Yeah. I know I've said otherwise. But how does one make any sense of out of something like this? Journeyman bantamweight Francisco… Read…

This morning, we found out that it wasn't funny. The invincible looking Mago is just another human being, a human being who bleeds inside and out, and in this case, in his brain. The invincible looking Mago is now in a medically induced coma as doctors try to manage a blood clot on his brain. Two weeks. Two weeks since I wrote this. Two weeks and a few drinks was all it took for me to ignore the horror and laugh as a man absorbed a brutal beating to his skull, perhaps to his death.

It wasn't just Mago's gruff exterior that made us forget what was happening. Heavyweights, by and large, are less prone to these sorts of injuries. These sort of brain bleed injuries tend to be caused by an accumulation of punches, and heavyweights throw and absorb fewer punches than their smaller counterparts, both because they require more energy and because a single clean punch from a heavyweight is often enough to end a fight. Ironically, Perez's lack of power may be what did in Mago. The very thing that made last night so bloody exciting - an unusually high volume of heavyweight punches, no one of which was strong enough to end the fight - made it all the more dangerous.

Two weeks. Two weeks ago, I said that the boxing world would have forgotten Franky Leal by the time that last night's main event, Golovkin vs. Stevens, rolled around. It had: Franky's name didn't get a mention or ceremonial 10 count on the broadcast. But I hadn't forgotten him. So what's my excuse? How did I fall for it again? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me hundreds of times...

As I reflect on last night, and the horror in which I found something to laugh about, a part of me wonders how I can live with myself. For me, it's just a question. For the friends and family of Magomed Abdusalamov, it's something far more meaningful. So, say a little prayer for a frightening looking giant. He needs it. And all of us boxing fans could use it, too.

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
smfh..hes in a medically induced coma while they try to fix the blood clots in his brain