Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Tim said himself that he was fukked up for about 3 months. He said he didn't feel 100% until training camp for Marquez.

By the way. Tim made jmm look far more amateur than I remember.
I knew about Timmy...I was referring to the fact that Ruslan said he was pissing black after the fight...I never saw that reported.
Sorry for any confusion.

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
dammit i missed the alvarado fight..had to go to a family function:stopitslime:

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One thing I noticed was that Rios did far less to get a stoppage against Alvarado than Ruslan did.

Also, Alvarado did NOT beat that first 10 count. Reminded me of Martinez vs. Cintron. I was looking like :what:

Reffing can be so inconsistent.
:bryan:i noticed that too
seems like he was well enough to continue but he clearly got up after da ref already said 10
i think it was a good judgement call by the ref

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
:bryan:i noticed that too
seems like he was well enough to continue but he clearly got up after da ref already said 10
i think it was a good judgement call by the ref
Completely agree. Tony Weeks did a great job in the fight. I loved how he knew Alvarado was a warrior and before listening to his corner made Alvarado look him in the eyes. Plus the lazy 10 count, Alvarado was hurt, but you could tell he still wanted to go.

I agreed with the criticism of the Mares fight, in that he may have been knocked out...but why wave it off before you make the 10 count. Refs are counting midway and calling fights off. Even if the odds are he won't make it, give the guy the 10 count before calling the fight.

Last edited:

yawn

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Who the fukk fights on a Wednesday? That alone should be enough to make Shane retire.

Wednesday is a weird fight day but he is getting 1,000,000 for this fight tho :whew:

Well I think HBO needs to overhaul their entire broadcast team. Max sucks, Lampley has been awful for close to a decade now and Harold Lederman must have Alzheimer's. I would keep Roy for color commentary and toss everyone else in the bushes.

Roy has become a better commentator since he's stopped fighting and Max does go against Lampley and the narrative HBO tries to push.

Listening to the Showtime crew during the Floyd PPV was :blessed:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Wednesday is a weird fight day but he is getting 1,000,000 for this fight tho :whew:

Roy has become a better commentator since he's stopped fighting and Max does go against Lampley and the narrative HBO tries to push.

Listening to the Showtime crew during the Floyd PPV was :blessed:
Both crews are homers, but I can't stand Showtime's commentating...I grew up on HBO though. Al Bernstein is really knowledgeable, but Mauro and Paulie are pretty bad. Being a former fighter shows you may not know how to judge a fight, because Paulie's cards are always :what:.
Surprisingly Kellerman has done a great job of replacing Merchant. That wasn't an easy task - especially since Merchant always was the one to break away from the corporate agenda. Lampley isn't what he used to be and he definitely can play the home team card...but his command over a broadcast is amazing. Personally as far as former boxing athlete analysts go, I like RJJ. I think he does a really nice job in calling what is happening, correcting on what punches are landing...he had Prov's game plan dialed in from the beginning and called that it would be the body shots to end Alvarado's night. Just one example...but I feel he is right a lot. I never have gotten the hate that some have for Roy. :yeshrug:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Both crews are homers, but I can't stand Showtime's commentating...I grew up on HBO though. Al Bernstein is really knowledgeable, but Mauro and Paulie are pretty bad. Being a former fighter shows you may not know how to judge a fight, because Paulie's cards are always :what:.
Surprisingly Kellerman has done a great job of replacing Merchant. That wasn't an easy task - especially since Merchant always was the one to break away from the corporate agenda. Lampley isn't what he used to be and he definitely can play the home team card...but his command over a broadcast is amazing. Personally as far as former boxing athlete analysts go, I like RJJ. I think he does a really nice job in calling what is happening, correcting on what punches are landing...he had Prov's game plan dialed in from the beginning and called that it would be the body shots to end Alvarado's night. Just one example...but I feel he is right a lot. I never have gotten the hate that some have for Roy. :yeshrug:

Sho commentators just sound dorky as hell...especially Farhood. Berstein is the man. I dont have a problem with the other guys...but Tarver was better than Paulie. HBO is the worst...but I will always be a Max fan. The guy has a lot of integrity for the most part. I think what comes out of his mouth most of the time is how he honestly feels. It may not seem that way because sometimes it does happen to fall in line with HBO's agenda. As far as boxers...there are a ton that would be great. HBO loves Roy because he is such a big name....as was Lennox. Other names that come to mind who do good commentary...but not as well known as Roy....Kevin Kelley, Too Sharp Johnson, and after seeing that special I wouldnt mind seeing Mickey Ward doing some guest work. One guy I think who is going to have a great commentating career is BJ Flores. He would need to start on ESPN or something because he doesnt have the name for the bigger networks yet.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Sho commentators just sound dorky as hell...especially Farhood. Berstein is the man. I dont have a problem with the other guys...but Tarver was better than Paulie. HBO is the worst...but I will always be a Max fan. The guy has a lot of integrity for the most part. I think what comes out of his mouth most of the time is how he honestly feels. It may not seem that way because sometimes it does happen to fall in line with HBO's agenda. As far as boxers...there are a ton that would be great. HBO loves Roy because he is such a big name....as was Lennox. Other names that come to mind who do good commentary...but not as well known as Roy....Kevin Kelley, Too Sharp Johnson, and after seeing that special I wouldnt mind seeing Mickey Ward doing some guest work. One guy I think who is going to have a great commentating career is BJ Flores. He would need to start on ESPN or something because he doesnt have the name for the bigger networks yet.
Farhood is dorky as hell, but I like him. He calls it like it is and seems to have a good judgment of the fight. I haven't be a SHO subscriber enough to listened to Tarver. Paulie is the guy now and has been on the FSN cards....not a fan.
I agree with you on Max. I really like the guy. He is a huge fan and I think he wants his career to be boxing - this HBO gig is probably his dream job - and I remember him from Around The Horn and then they pushed him out after he made that show...I am glad he has rebounded and has done well, he seems like he is very credible and has lots of integrity. His interview with Alvarado last night showed that IMO. Alvarado has to give that interview or risks creating rifts at HBO. Max did a good job of allowing Alvarado to not feel disrespected when his ego was clearly hurt and didn't want to be there.
HBO has always been my fav, maybe it is because what I am familiar with. Love him or hate him, I think Lampley controls a broadcast very skillfully (a la Bob Costas)...now with that skill he can certainly direct it to his agenda, but no one can be the lead guy of a broadcast even close to him.
I like Roy...could there be someone better...sure, but I think his insights are pretty spot on. He definitely isn't George Foreman good - when George was on :wow:, but sometimes George was humorously off. Overall I think Roy does a good job, he isn't flashy, but I don't think he stands out in a bad way...which too many fighters do in that position.

yawn

All Star
Supporter
Daps

I agree that Mauro can :camby: but Paulie and Trout the few times he's commentated bring great insight

George Foreman is one of the greats. He had Jim shook when he was going at Islam and with one arm he stopped like 4 dudes from going in the ring during the Bowe/Golota fight :wow:

do yall agree with b hop?

He's right and wrong. He feels this way because his style is being attacked and but he could do more in his fights

He's right about :merchant: dude wanted everyone to stand there and slug instead of box. Good riddance :pacspit:

That "You want to be able to count your money" line is the truth.
It hurts to think Rios and other fighters like him won't be able to :to: