Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
I find Canelo’s choice of opponents to be underwhelming, but he does just enough to satisfy his fan base.

I’m not mad at the hustle. He really found something as far as utilizing unglamorous divisions like 168 & CW to add to his accomplishments.
That is a great assessment.

It looks glorious superficially.

You dig a little deeper and it's 'hey hang on, wait a minute'.

But hey, that's the game, can you blame him?

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
some mando notes from the WBC convention

Mandatories:

Heavyweight. Dillian Whyte is the mandatory but has taken legal action and it is in the Court of Arbitration.
Bridger. First ever champion Oscar Rivas has two mandatories.
Cruiser. Thabisco Mchunu.
Light heavy. Marcus Browne.
super middle. David Benavides was to fight Jose Uzcategui for the mandatory spot, but this didn`t happen. Kyrone Davis now steps in to fight David.
Middle. Final eliminator between Jaime Mungia and Sergey Derevyanchenko.
Super welter. Jermell Charlo has several mandatories. The mix of Erikson Lubin 1, and Sebastian Fundora 4 and Sergio Garcia 2. Fundora Vs Garcia and the winner will fight Lubin for the final mandatory spot.
Welter. Errol Spence cleared, following successful retina surgery. Thulani Mbenge Vs Edward Skavinskiy for the vacant silver title. That winner Vs Alexander Besputin for the final mandatory.
Super light. Jose “Chon” Zepeda is in the mandatory spot. But Josh Taylor, who`s undisputed champion fights his first defence against Jack Catterall.
Light. Franchise champion Teofimo Lopez Vs George Kambosos on Nov 27th. Devin Haney will defend his WBC crown against Jo Jo Diaz on Dec 4th.
Super feather. Proposed tournament between Robson Conceicao who lost narrowly in September to champion Oscar Valdez, O`shaquie Foster and Muhammadkhuja Magsayo.
Feather. Champion Gary Russell Vs Mark Magsayo. Winner will fight Rey Vargas.
super bantam. WBC champion Ryan Figueroa Vs WBO champion Stephen Fulton. Winner will fight Daniel Roman.
Bantam. Champion Nonito Donaire Vs Reymart Gaballo Dec 11th.
Super Fly. Champion Juan Francisco Estrada Vs Roman Chocolatito Gonzalez for the Franchise title. Srisaket Sor Rungvisai Vs Carlos “Prince” Cuadras for the vacant title.
Fly. Champion Julio Cesar Martinez Vs Interim Champ McWilliams Arroyo, Nov 20th.
Light fly. Masamichi Yabuki rematch with Kenshiro Teraji.
Straw. Panya Pradabsri in rematch Vs Wanheng Menayothin.

KingOFKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Inoue’s fight in December is going to be a PPV on Abema. This is interesting. I don’t think I’ve seen this in recent times. A boxing PPV in Japan. Usually it’s Fuji tv or another terrestrial tv platform.

It looks like 2 things are happening here.

1) Inoue has transcended regular TV in Japan and they want to test the waters with PPV.

2) Inoue is demanding a big purse so they had to take it to PPV.

Could also be a combination. Either way this is an interesting move. I translated some comments from the official yahoo article and the general sentiment seems to be that people are not pleased as it’s not a big opponent.

They will billboard and promote the hell out of this though.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

Inoue’s fight in December is going to be a PPV on Abema. This is interesting. I don’t think I’ve seen this in recent times. A boxing PPV in Japan. Usually it’s Fuji tv or another terrestrial tv platform.

It looks like 2 things are happening here.

1) Inoue has transcended regular TV in Japan and they want to test the waters with PPV.

2) Inoue is demanding a big purse so they had to take it to PPV.

Could also be a combination. Either way this is an interesting move. I translated some comments from the official yahoo article and the general sentiment seems to be that people are not pleased as it’s not a big opponent.

They will billboard and promote the hell out of this though.

yeah they are doing some wild things there...starting with GGG vs Murata they will start to air their fights on Amazon Prime Video which apparently is large over there

KingOFKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah they are doing some wild things there...starting with GGG vs Murata they will start to air their fights on Amazon Prime Video which apparently is large over there

Yeah, definitely. TR also inked a deal with Amazon Prime to air all of their US cards next year there.

Still have to officially announce Ioka vs Ancajas for in or around new years eve, that will have to fall on one of their regular channels (my guess).

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That is a great assessment.

It looks glorious superficially.

You dig a little deeper and it's 'hey hang on, wait a minute'.

But hey, that's the game, can you blame him?

It’s brilliant.

Most cash cows wouldn’t even bother with those divisions. They would stay with the money divisions. However, Canelo understands how to manage his career, which is to make the most money possible while minimizing your risk. His run at 168 is acceptable, because he’s going for undisputed. Him taking a fight at CW is acceptable, because it’s a big weight jump. Its like the opponents don’t even matter. Its pretty amazing :whew:

His b side can literally be whoever as long as he can sell an accomplishment along with it.

Last edited: