Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
The only thing you need to be flexible is once you hit 200. Like IMO there should be a 200-245 class, and then Super Heavyweight being 260+

at heavyweight there is more of a disadvantage being that heavy...if you look at past heavyweight champions the ones more than 250-260 are outliers...those cats are NOT and have not historically dominated heavyweight division..thats why heavies are pretty much untouched

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I`m a casual but is there that much difference in 10lbs where these .5/.7/.8 weight classes are needed?

Like imagine if everyone between 140-150 had to fight, 151-160, 161-170, etc.

The only thing you need to be flexible is once you hit 200. Like IMO there should be a 200-245 class, and then Super Heavyweight being 260+

Honestly there makes more sense physiologically for a Junior Heavyweight, Heavyweight, and Super Heavyweight division than there is for a Junior Bantamweight division, Bantamweight division, and super Bantamweight division, but don't tell nikkas this because they gonna get sideways about the fact that there is only a 7 lb weight difference between them little divisions, yet a heavyweight can fight another heavyweight and have a 51 pound weight difference and they are supposed to just deal with it like them little nikkas can't deal with 7 fukking pounds. :mjlol:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Honestly there makes more sense physiologically for a Junior Heavyweight, Heavyweight, and Super Heavyweight division than there is for a Junior Bantamweight division, Bantamweight division, and super Bantamweight division, but don't tell nikkas this because they gonna get sideways about the fact that there is only a 7 lb weight difference between them little divisions, yet a heavyweight can fight another heavyweight and have a 51 pound weight difference and they are supposed to just deal with it like them little nikkas can't deal with 7 fukking pounds. :mjlol:

exactly breh, you got Wilder at 214 taking on a 270 cat lmfao. Yeah Wilder has crazy power but he is literally a one in a generation type (for power). Look at Usyk, I dont care how skilled he is, you think he stands a chance to do anything to Tyson Fury? Look at Michael Hunter too lol, breh had to get somewhat flabby to compete if you look at how he was built before he moved up.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
at heavyweight there is more of a disadvantage being that heavy...if you look at past heavyweight champions the ones more than 250-260 are outliers...those cats are NOT and have not historically dominated heavyweight division..thats why heavies are pretty much untouched

i feel it ties back to my NFL example too. The talent pool is damn near non existent, unless someone with a vision sets up some Boxing schools on the African Continent to funnel in brehs from there, because in the USA if you big you will lean towards football during your pivotal years.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
exactly breh, you got Wilder at 214 taking on a 270 cat lmfao. Yeah Wilder has crazy power but he is literally a one in a generation type (for power). Look at Usyk, I dont care how skilled he is, you think he stands a chance to do anything to Tyson Fury? Look at Michael Hunter too lol, breh had to get somewhat flabby to compete if you look at how he was built before he moved up.
People mention old time heavyweight but their frames despite being short was still huge. Usyk frame kinda smaller tbh. But honestly there are diminishing returns for bigger guys at some point.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
People mention old time heavyweight but their frames despite being short was still huge. Usyk frame kinda smaller tbh.

Chisora is like 240-250 and if it wasn't for stimina was giving Usyk problems initially. I think Usyk came in at 205-210, imo he shouldn't be fighting someone over 220. The one thing with weight is height is a factor too. Look at wilder and how skinny he is at 214-220 and 6'6/6'7, and compare that to a 5'11 guy at the same weight i.e. Mike Tyson. Id argue Tyson would cave in wilders chest.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
i feel it ties back to my NFL example too. The talent pool is damn near non existent, unless someone with a vision sets up some Boxing schools on the African Continent to funnel in brehs from there, because in the USA if you big you will lean towards football during your pivotal years.
nah youre not hearing me..its not talent..big heavyweights when they get too heavy its detrimental to their performance...how many dominant 260, 270, 280, 290 , 300+ heavyweights have you seen?

Fury is an outlier but he can be touched by smaller fighters and has been dropped hard by smaller fighters..2 not known for their power

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chisora is like 240-250 and if it wasn't for stimina was giving Usyk problems initially. I think Usyk came in at 205-210, imo he shouldn't be fighting someone over 220. The one thing with weight is height is a factor too. Look at wilder and how skinny he is at 214-220 and 6'6/6'7, and compare that to a 5'11 guy at the same weight i.e. Mike Tyson. Id argue Tyson would cave in wilders chest.

wilder is not a good example because he is optimal at that weight...thats how they used to do it...heavyweights used to cut weight esp in the 15 round era...when wilder got in the high 220s-low 230s he lost some physical advantages (stamina, some workrate, some speed)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
nah youre not hearing me..its not talent..big heavyweights when they get too heavy its detrimental to their performance...how many dominant 260, 270, 280, 290 , 300+ heavyweights have you seen?

Fury is an outlier but he can be touched by smaller fighters and has been dropped hard by smaller fighters..2 not known for their power

so in the context of talent, you feel skill doesn't matter? Fury looks God mode because he is extremely skilled. I'm not a trainer but from what I have seen it appears that it's hard to 'teach' people how to box after some point, and alot of these heavyweights were normal dudes and intro to boxing in like their mid 20s or something, compared to lower weights were people are funneled in as kids or teens.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
wilder is not a good example because he is optimal at that weight...thats how they used to do it...heavyweights used to cut weight esp in the 15 round era...when wilder got in the high 220s-low 230s he lost some physical advantages (stamina, some workrate, some speed)

thats why I used Usyk too. Wilder is an anomaly.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps

That's why divisions are based on weight and not height. Unless your height difference is just massive over a guy(talking at least 6+ inches here) height doesn't make that big if a difference, hell in a lot of situations your height can be a detriment against a shorter fighter if he can back you into the ropes. Weight and reach have a lot more impact on a fight than how tall you are.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
so in the context of talent, you feel skill doesn't matter? Fury looks God mode because he is extremely skilled. I'm not a trainer but from what I have seen it appears that it's hard to 'teach' people how to box after some point, and alot of these heavyweights were normal dudes and intro to boxing in like their mid 20s or something, compared to lower weights were people are funneled in as kids or teens.

im talking you thinking there needs to be distinction between heavyweights..thats where my argument is based off

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
That's why divisions are based on weight and not height. Unless your height difference is just massive over a guy(talking at least 6+ inches here) height doesn't make that big if a difference, hell in a lot of situations your height can be a detriment against a shorter fighter if he can back you into the ropes. Weight and reach have a lot more impact on a fight than how tall you are.

my point is Heavyweight serving as an 'open weight' class makes things very complicated when you factor in the other tangibles like height, reach, etc. All weight isn't created equally + the class being completely open adds another layer of complexity. Pair all this with how many people over 200 lbs opt to be a Boxer and you see where we are today.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
thats why I used Usyk too. Wilder is an anomaly.

chris byrd had no problem with it..that man was nothing more than a blown up super middle and he got in the ring with cats that routinely outweigh him 30+ lbs..his whos who is ridiculous or davaryll williamson was knocking bigger fighters than him cold with one shot..these were not big heavies