Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Spence did 350k PPV buys against Shawn Porter aka Mr. Can't Sell Out a Family Dinner.

You think Spence Crawford fails to make those numbers?

Spence Crawford is a Vegas fight, not an LA, Omaha or Dallas fight. It's PPV. ESPN and Fox gets that machine going, it's selling.

Thing is ESPN is using the machine to hype Crawford. Nobody said he was P4P #1 a year ago(he was considered top 5), he is doing interviews on First Take, the whole 9, here is the thing bro I gotta take the blindfold off so you can really see it: NOBODY IS BUYING IT. Nobody thinks highly of anyone he has ever beaten, a lot of people don't think very highly of him no matter how much they hype him up, and his displays in the ring lately haven't exactly moved the needle any bro.

Spence-Porter made money because of Spence, Spence is a fledgling star, Porter is respected sure, but nobody cares that much about him.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Dallas' 4 Eva

I hear what you’re saying, but Spence/Crawford will never be a Oscar/Tito or Floyd/PAC type of situation. Spence and Crawford are just boxing stars, and need each other, to raise their profile. The other four guys I mentioned didn’t NEED each other.

Look at Wilder/Fury 1. They made the fight, because it was the biggest fight for both guys at the time. You could argue that they could have let that first fight marinate, but fukk it, they made it happen. That fight ended up raising both of their profiles. When they had the rematch, it was promoted everywhere, and they sold way more PPV’s. Their first fight was like 325k. The second fight was like 850k.

You just gotta make the fight happen. With Crawford’s reputation as a p4p guy, it could probably reach 375k-400k buys. If it’s a great fight, the rematch can do more.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
Thing is ESPN is using the machine to hype Crawford. Nobody said he was P4P #1 a year ago(he was considered top 5), he is doing interviews on First Take, the whole 9, here is the thing bro I gotta take the blindfold off so you can really see it: NOBODY IS BUYING IT. Nobody thinks highly of anyone he has ever beaten, a lot of people don't think very highly of him no matter how much they hype him up, and his displays in the ring lately haven't exactly moved the needle any bro.

Spence-Porter made money because of Spence, Spence is a fledgling star, Porter is respected sure, but nobody cares that much about him.

I agree with you only when you say that Spence sold the Porter PPV. I believe that shows that Fox has figured out how to better promote their PPVs, and also that Spence was crossing over as a buzzing mainstream attraction.

I don't agree with your assertion that Spence Crawford doesn't sell well because of Crawford's perceived lack of star power.

Take for example:

Wilder didn't clear 300,000 buys against Ortiz in their rematch.

Fury was struggling to fill seats in Vegas.

Together, they set a record for heavyweight gate, and did roughly 800,000-850,000 PPV buys.

I don't think it's far-fetched to believe that Spence and Crawford can headline another successful Fox ESPN PPV event. Crawford and Spence is like Lomachenko Davis, Joshua Wilder/Fury, Golovkin Canelo.

If Spence can do 350,000 against Porter, what will he be able to gross against an opponent seen as more dangerous?

The only people picking apart Crawford's resume are the hardcore fans, aka the people that don't bring in money. Casual fans ain't finna be arguing about Lundy and Diaz; they're going to see the KOs, listen to what Kellerman tells them, and buy the PPV.

Last edited:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I agree with you only when you say that Spence sold the Porter PPV. I believe that shows that Fox has figured out how to better promote their PPVs, and also that Spence was crossing over as a buzzing mainstream attr

I don't agree with your assertion that Spence Crawford doesn't sell well because of Crawford's perceived lack of star power.

Take for example:

Wilder didn't clear 300,000 buys against Ortiz in their rematch.

Fury was struggling to fill seats in Vegas.

Together, they set a record for heavyweight gate, and did roughly 800,000-850,000 PPV buys.

I don't think it's far-fetched to believe that Spence and Crawford can headline another successful Fox ESPN PPV event. Crawford and Spence is like Lomachenko Davis, Joshua Wilder/Fury, Golovkin Canelo.

If Spence can do 350,000 against Porter, what will he be able to gross against an opponent seen as more dangerous?

The only people picking apart Crawford's resume are the hardcore fans, aka the people that don't bring in money. Casual fans ain't finna be arguing about Lundy and Diaz; they're going to see the KOs, listen to what Kellerman tells them, and buy the PPV.

Yeah they did that on the second fight, the first fight sold 325k. Respectable, but not a major fight. Bro Crawford on free TV does similar numbers to average joe PBC fighters bruh. It will not sell as well as you think it will, and honestly I won't be surprised if one of them takes a loss before the fight happens.

I would wager at the most this fight is going to do 400k buys, respectable but they are trying to get it to do 600k+ I think which means it has a ways to go.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
@Dallas' 4 Eva

I hear what you’re saying, but Spence/Crawford will never be a Oscar/Tito or Floyd/PAC type of situation. Spence and Crawford are just boxing stars, and need each other, to raise their profile. The other four guys I mentioned didn’t NEED each other.

Look at Wilder/Fury 1. They made the fight, because it was the biggest fight for both guys at the time. You could argue that they could have let that first fight marinate, but fukk it, they made it happen. That fight ended up raising both of their profiles. When they had the rematch, it was promoted everywhere, and they sold way more PPV’s. Their first fight was like 325k. The second fight was like 850k.

You just gotta make the fight happen. With Crawford’s reputation as a p4p guy, it could probably reach 375k-400k buys. If it’s a great fight, the rematch can do more.

I mean way I look at it, Crawford said he don't need them, and Spence has become a star on his own without ever having to fight an ESPN/Top Rank guy... They really don't need each other. :yeshrug:

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean way I look at it, Crawford said he don't need them, and Spence has become a star on his own without ever having to fight an ESPN/Top Rank guy... They really don't need each other. :yeshrug:

Technically they don’t, if they’re content with their current pay, but I believe the winner could take his fame to another level.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
Yeah they did that on the second fight, the first fight sold 325k. Respectable, but not a major fight. Bro Crawford on free TV does similar numbers to average joe PBC fighters bruh. It will not sell as well as you think it will, and honestly I won't be surprised if one of them takes a loss before the fight happens.

I would wager at the most this fight is going to do 400k buys, respectable but they are trying to get it to do 600k+ I think which means it has a ways to go.

First fight was promoted by Showtime, with Fury being perceived as being out of shape, and Wilder not being a big draw.

Rematch was copromoted by Fox and ESPN, and the fight wasn't seen as a mismatch.

Crawford does average Joe numbers??
There was always a vision, and when Crawford returned to linear ESPN for his first welterweight title defense, a 12th-round TKO of Jose Benavidez Jr. on Saturday in Omaha, Nebraska, it all came to fruition.

The bout delivered 2.708 million viewers at its peak, according to Nielsen Media Research. Those figures earn Crawford-Benavidez the distinction of most-viewed fight — boxing or MMA — on broadcast or cable in 2018. (Khabib Nurmagmedov’s tapout of Conor McGregor reportedly generated 2.4 million buys, but pay-per-view is not included in the above research.)

There's also a big difference between fighting on Fox and ESPN+.

All it takes is for Fox and ESPN to start dedicating their air time to the fight, and everyone is going to start talking about the bout.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Technically they don’t, if they’re content with their current pay, but I believe the winner could take his fame to another level.

I agree, but at the same time I think even if the fight don't happen both could have a great career without it. Look at Crawfords top 5 in his mando list I posted last page, there are some GREAT fights to be made there, they don't NEED to wait on Spence, but for some reason they are. Spence been said he is going to 154 before too long and he has some great fights he can make there.

I blame Thurman personally, the fight to make was Spence-Thurman, but Thurman wanting to be a hippy loverboy done fukked up his whole career now the Crawford fight is here, which was never a part of the plan and nobody was asking for it before Thurman fell off a cliff, and it done fukked up the whole shyt.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree, but at the same time I think even if the fight don't happen both could have a great career without it. Look at Crawfords top 5 in his mando list I posted last page, there are some GREAT fights to be made there, they don't NEED to wait on Spence, but for some reason they are. Spence been said he is going to 154 before too long and he has some great fights he can make there.

I blame Thurman personally, the fight to make was Spence-Thurman, but Thurman wanting to be a hippy loverboy done fukked up his whole career now the Crawford fight is here, which was never a part of the plan and nobody was asking for it before Thurman fell off a cliff, and it done fukked up the whole shyt.

Yes they can go on to have great careers, but this fight can truly increase their status.

2 undefeated p4p fighters in their prime? There’s no else Right now that can increase their status like they can for each other, unless of course it’s PAC.

Last edited:

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
on paper and how it played it out its prolly PBC's best card to date

and it had to be the one i couldnt watch live due to a function i had to go to

barrios and the WSB cat was also a FOTY candidate along with porter and spence

barrios def got a gift for real
Everybody in the theater was shocked he won we all saying he needed the KD to get a draw