Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
I agree with Breadman, JRock is trying to build his brand, you was talking all that shyt about Hurd not taking the rematch just to go and not take the immediate rematch yourself. He has to knock him out or completely dominate him otherwise no one will take him serious. Look at Anthony Joshua, talking all that shyt before the first Ruiz fight and being all cocky just to get mixed up by a chubby mexican who he had a huge size advantage on, then when he took his belts back he did it in the most unimpressive fashion ever. Yeah he did what he had to do, but to the American audience he will forever be a joke. Once you get to this level it aint about juat boxing, you gotta build and protect the brand too and going out there and just trying to outpoint Rosario after Rosario beat Williams up aint a good look bruh.

As reckless as this sounds, there's truth to this. Like you said, to the casual American fan, they only know of AJ from getting washed. Hell they probably don't know he even won the belts back and that's not to knock the casuals or AJ, it's just that unless you built your career on winning defensive like Floyd then switching it up as a HW like AJ did in the rematch will have some folks thinking you shook to mix it up. We know the real, we know that isn't true, but that's just how it is

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
As reckless as this sounds, there's truth to this. Like you said, to the casual American fan, they only know of AJ from getting washed. Hell they probably don't know he even won the belts back and that's not to knock the casuals or AJ, it's just that unless you built your career on winning defensive like Floyd then switching it up as a HW like AJ did in the rematch will have some folks thinking you shook to mix it up. We know the real, we know that isn't true, but that's just how it is

Yup. Williams can go out there and point box Rosario, fine he'll have a good chance of winning but any hopes of him being a star are done. He already got put to sleep by big Charlo and Rosario literally beat him pillar to post. No one will take him seriously ever.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale

I feel where you coming from, but Ruiz did himself no favors coming in out of shape as fukk and carrying another person around his waist. He could have potentially caught up to AJ if he was in shape so we can't just completely blame Joshua for pitching a shut out against a guy mad nikkas was picking to win the rematch. Plus its not like Joshua hasn't had dud ass fights before where he just boxed. nikkas forgot the Parker performance which was worst than the Ruiz rematch.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
I feel where you coming from, but Ruiz did himself no favors coming in out of shape as fukk and carrying another person around his waist. He could have potentially caught up to AJ if he was in shape so we can't just completely blame Joshua for pitching a shut out against a guy mad nikkas was picking to win the rematch. Plus its not like Joshua hasn't had dud ass fights before where he just boxed. nikkas forgot the Parker performance which was worst than the Ruiz rematch.

Don't remind me of the Parker fight :snoop:. One of the most uneventful title bouts in any division that i've seen in a long while.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

The amount of ppl who were wrong about that rematch because they thought chief oluwafemi was some non boxing ass nikka like another recently disposed HW champ who shall remain nameless :russ:

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I agree with Breadman, JRock is trying to build his brand, you was talking all that shyt about Hurd not taking the rematch just to go and not take the immediate rematch yourself. He has to knock him out or completely dominate him otherwise no one will take him serious. Look at Anthony Joshua, talking all that shyt before the first Ruiz fight and being all cocky just to get mixed up by a chubby mexican who he had a huge size advantage on, then when he took his belts back he did it in the most unimpressive fashion ever. Yeah he did what he had to do, but to the American audience he will forever be a joke. Once you get to this level it aint about just boxing, you gotta build and protect the brand too and going out there and just trying to outpoint Rosario after Rosario beat Williams up aint a good look bruh.

Respect your opinion breh but I disagree with this through and through.

1: J Rock should outbox him not getting into a fire fight because that got him knocked out last time. Only an idiot would try the same thing again that knocked him out the first time just because a so called brand. Willing to outbox your opponent instead of taking his head off is usually less spectacular but it is entirely valid in boxing and you have to do what works in the given situation.

2: AJ isn't a particularly cocky dude I don't remember him talking much shyt at Ruiz other than the usual hype talk from boxers. He's one of the least cocky guys at HW actually from English speaking fighters.

3: His win on the rematch was impressive to me, he thoroughly outboxed Ruiz, Ruzi won 1-2 rounds at best. It's funny how cats been criticizing Joshua for being too stiff and all but when he shows his best boxing performance so far with being light on his feet and sharp with his jab the problem is suddenly him "running" away.

4: The US market is not the be all end all anymore. Sure it's still a big market but look at Joshua's case. Do we have any evidence that his status took a big hit because the loss? His rematch with Ruiz was a legit blockbuster with or without the US audience tuning in. In fact it was the most streamed DAZN event in the USA in 2019 He also earned more money than ever before with it. While it's not the US, it's worth noting it broke UK PPV records. After Wilder's loss he is reinstated as the number 1 ranked HW (Fury is the champ now) accross the more prestigous ranking boards.
So with all due respect, you saying he became a joke to American audience is without any evidence and it sounds like it's just your opinion based on what you have seen people talk around you or on boxing forums among hardcore fans. On the other side there are the facts about how well his rematch did. It's a huge stretch to say that he became a joke to American viewers, no evidence at all, man. If anything, their rematch being streamed more than any other event in the US suggests the opposite.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps

Don't remind me bruh, and now AJ will NEVER be able to crossover to the American market. This risk adverse style of managing boxing careers is why MMA took off in popularity. Casuals(who bring the big bucks) want to see knockouts or all out wars. This is a combat sport, at the end of the day nobody wants to see glorified sparring matches, especially from heavyweights.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Don't remind me bruh, and now AJ will NEVER be able to crossover to the American market. This risk adverse style of managing boxing careers is why MMA took off in popularity. Casuals(who bring the big bucks) want to see knockouts or all out wars. This is a combat sport, at the end of the day nobody wants to see glorified sparring matches, especially from heavyweights.

It's too early to say AJ will never crossover to the American market. He had a hiccup over here and he should have ran it back over here to be honest (regardless of how he won) Instead he chased the Arabian Nights bag and did it over there. I feel like he still needs to fight over here one more time (even if its not against Fury or Wilder) and get a win on U.S. soil. To his credit he still a global superstar, but nobody is gonna forget that ass whupping he took over here.

Right now, PBC is the best at mismanaging their heavyweight boxing careers as evidenced by last weekend.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

there is truth in that...but femi has 21 KO's in 24 fights...he is not Zuri Lawrence out there :heh:....He can box and box well and can punch...Wilder has 40 something KO's and got took apart on some boxing shyt..he lacks a solid technical foundation...this is why ppl are now seeing and saying the things ive talked about Wilder for years..Wilder has an eraser in his right hand yes that makes for exciting fights...but a supposed top heavy should not have been taken apart like he was breh