Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Fury-Wilder II Prelims Average 1.42 Million Viewers Across ESPN, Fox Sports Platforms
By Jake Donovan

Published On Tue Feb 25, 2020, 07:02 PM EST

The past month has emphatically proven that the sport flows better when all parties work together.

A collaborative effort between ESPN and Fox Sports to present the February 22 rematch between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder resulted in unprecedented programming measures, a packed venue and favorable ratings leading up to the actual Pay-Per-View event. The televised preliminary undercard produced a combined average viewership of 1.42 million from coverage airing live across ESPN and Fox Sports platforms from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

FS1 and Fox Deportes carried the entire 90-minute telecast on its networks from 7:30-9:00pm ET, while ESPNews picked up the first 30 minutes of the show before turning over to ESPN just after the 8:00pm ET hour upon conclusion of live college basketball coverage.

ESPN boasted the highest viewership total among all platforms, with the 61-minute block on its flagship network averaging 862,000 viewers. The 92-minute slot on FS1 averaged 441,000 viewers, with the balance of the viewership total provided by Fox Deportes.

The final prelim bout prior to the PPV portion of the event saw a major upset as Petros Ananyan (15-2-2, 7KOs) rode a 7th round knockdown all the way to the finish line in a narrow 10-round decision win over previously unbeaten Subriel Matias (15-1, 15KOs).

The figure is the best performing PPV prelim since August 2017, when a Fox-televised card topped by Yordenis Ugas’ 10-round win over Thomas Dulorme averaged 2.438 million viewers live from T-Mobile Arena, also in Las Vegas. That event preceded what would serve as the second-highest grossing PPV event of all time, with Floyd Mayweather stopping UFC superstar and boxing rookie Conor McGregor for the 50th and final win of his legendary career atop a show which generated roughly 4.4 million units sold for the Showtime PPV event.

fury-wilder-rematch%20(3).jpg

The February 22 event—in which England’s Fury (30-0-1, 21KOs) scored a one-sided 7th round stoppage of Alabama’s Wilder (42-1-1, 41KOs) in their highly anticipated rematch—saw ESPN and Fox Sports join forces for the first time in a boxing event. The two platforms swarmed the public with high quality shoulder programming, all of which drew favorable numbers and reviews. Live coverage was provided across all ESPN and Fox Sports platforms and social media channels for the final main event pre-fight press conference on Wednesday, the undercard press conference on Thursday and the pre-fight weigh-in on Friday.

It is still too early for final PPV figures for the event, although all indications suggest the best-selling heavyweight headlined PPV since Lennox Lewis’ 8th round knockout of Mike Tyson in June 2002. That event marked the first joint collaboration between premium cable giants HBO and Showtime, generating 1.97 million PPV buys and more than $108 million in PPV revenue, the dollar amount serving as a record haul at the time.

For now, Fury’s revenge-fueled knockout of Wilder currently stands as the best-performing live gate for any heavyweight main event to take place in Las Vegas. Fight night reports of the event generating $16,916,440 at the box office surpassed the non-adjusted total for November 1999 rematch between Lewis and Evander Holyfield, which produced $16,860,300 in ticket sales [the figure adjusts to $26,107,253.61 with inflation).

A 30-minute pre-fight show carried by FS1 at the 7:00pm hour averaged 364,000 viewers leading into the non-PPV prelim telecast.

The rematch between Fury and Wilder came nearly 15 months after the two fought to a disputed 12-round draw in their December 2018 title fight. The Showtime PPV-headlined event sold a reported 325,000 units.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
I need a lot of these boxers to be tougher like if a dude fouls me foul his ass back. One of them rights to the body would have discouraged all that leaning

Even Lomachenko needed the Salido fight to get the message.

it's crazy that these fighters now and days aren't good or even prepared to fight on the inside/in clenches. It really came to light for me to pay more attention to that after the Dre-Kov fights with how inept Kov was fighing in the clenches or even establishing position. Wilder got pushed back EVERY SINGLE TIME in both fights with Fury when Fury clenched him. Didn't even have skills to fight or throw a punch until Fury first threw and he threw in reaction to Fury throwing first.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Ramirez has fought just once since abandoning his WBO super middleweight title reign, having scored a 4th round stoppage of journeyman Tommy Karpency last April. The unbeaten boxer has remained at odds with Top Rank, going as far as to claim free agent status although that remains very much in dispute.

He doesn't want to be on TR anymore.
He coincidentally wants to leave them when he's in a better division and they are finally about to step up his level of competition in a division where TR has 3 of the belts? :patrice:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I hate the idea of PPV in general so I don't say anything to that except that I'm glad in my country networks don't try to rob us like that (yet?)

:russ:...most ppl hate the idea of PPV...one boxing outlet, who shall remain nameless, even went as far as to advertise they will air PPV quality/level bouts on free TV to make PPV obsolete but that outlet now realized it needed PPV in order to pay out big money to fighters and their biggest marquee fighter has never done a bout on free TV for them...EVER!!

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
I need a lot of these boxers to be tougher like if a dude fouls me foul his ass back. One of them rights to the body would have discouraged all that leaning

This works well in the gym but in reality nikkas dont want to risk the point deduction when there are millions at stake. He fouls you it could be accidental but your retaliation isnt seen as an accident and you will get a point taken its in the instructions the ref gives in the back.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Maidana vs Broner
SOG vs Kovalev 2
Fury vs Wilder 2

these were some of the most satisfying big event wins and performances in recent years
Based on the stage though that wilder one was the worst. Broner was bad too. Kovalev was winning rounds. Wilder fury was one sided and when you the baddest man on the planet:huhldup:
Plus the excuses afterwards

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Based on the stage though that wilder one was the worst. Broner was bad too. Kovalev was winning rounds. Wilder fury was one sided and when you the baddest man on the planet:huhldup:
Plus the excuses afterwards
Broner was quite bad too, but not sure if he ever made any excuses. He was battered too but won a few rounds and he didn't seem panicky, took his beating, at the same time he left the arena crying and his dry hump of Maidana came back to bite him as a final nail in the coffin :russ: Also how he tried to DQ his way out of the fight. :scust:

Kovalev was bad as he got bullied and the air if invincibility was gone forever after he talked all that mad shyt on Ward in the lead up and how he was swearing Ward is a coward and that he will knock him out. :mjgrin:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Broner was quite bad too, but not sure if he ever made any excuses. He was battered too but won a few rounds and he didn't seem panicky, took his beating, at the same time he left the arena crying and his dry hump of Maidana came back to bite him as a final nail in the coffin :russ: Also how he tried to DQ his way out of the fight. :scust:

Kovalev was bad as he got bullied and the air if invincibility was gone forever after he talked all that mad shyt on Ward in the lead up and how he was swearing Ward is a coward and that he will knock him out. :mjgrin:
When he called him featherfisted then got ktfo