Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Only thing I wonder about Byrd is how good he could of been had he not wasted his counter opportunities, when he did counter and punch he bothered the shyt out hose heavies who didnt see those shots coming.....
byrd overachieved breh..he only has 2 losses in his prime...ike who had next and wlad who just had his number

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
if im not mistaken didnt byrd have like diarrhea or some wild shyt going into the fight with Vitali?

as for Ike...it wouldnt have mattered regardless Ike was going to send him to the moon at some point in the fight :mjgrin:

Ike and Bryd was competitive as hell up until the KO tho. I always wanted that rematch. :mjcry:

Too bad Ike ducked him by sending himself to prison :snoop:

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Only thing I wonder about Byrd is how good he could of been had he not wasted his counter opportunities, when he did counter and punch he bothered the shyt out hose heavies who didnt see those shots coming.....

Bryd was an Olympic silver medalist that became a 2x champ in a division where everyone was bigger and hit harder. He ain't do too bad for himself. He got some mil dollar paydays out of it too.

Bryd countered in combination. Most guys don't do that. The only time Bryd wouldn't let his hands go is if you weren't letting your hands go either. He'd still win because, most judges don't give the bigger guy credit for passively boxing a smaller man that doesn't punch hard. Pretty much why Touch of Sleep and Oquendo aint get the decision in those fights.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
Bryd was an Olympic silver medalist that became a 2x champ in a division where everyone was bigger and hit harder. He ain't do too bad for himself. He got some mil dollar paydays out of it too.

Bryd countered in combination. Most guys don't do that. The only time Bryd wouldn't let his hands go is if you weren't letting your hands go either. He'd still win because, most judges don't give the bigger guy credit for passively boxing a smaller man that doesn't punch hard. Pretty much why Touch of Sleep and Oquendo aint get the decision in those fights.
who do you think would have won chris byrd vs roy jones in late 2003-early 2004?

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
who do you think would have won chris byrd vs roy jones in late 2003-early 2004?

I wanted to see that fight bad. Bryd was prolly at his physical strongest during that time. He was more muscular for the Golota and McCline fights than he was for guys like Tua and Harris.

I think Bryd was a bad style match up for Roy. Pesky southpaw jab, slightly bigger and stronger, quick enough hands, great chin and stamina.

the x-factor is.....

Bryd would be facing someone more talented, quicker, and more dynamic than he is so he'd have to get used to that. I think he'd be fighting behind Roy for most of the 1st half before he turns it on late, but it might be too late by then.

I think Roy prolly edges it out in a close fight. Roy knew how to fight at a slow pace and humble you with pot shots or the threat of pot shots, but he knew how to challenge you aggressively with his explosiveness an angles too. If Roy landed some eye catchy shyt once or twice every rd, judges would prolly give it to him. Bryd would have to be be game as hell and get some get back any time he got caught.

I feel like Bryd could have beaten Toney. The fan in me wants to say Bryd beats Roy too, but I think that fight could go either way, but I'd prolly favor Jones.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
I wanted to see that fight bad. Bryd was prolly at his physical strongest during that time. He was more muscular for the Golota and McCline fights than he was for guys like Tua and Harris.

I think Bryd was a bad style match up for Roy. Pesky southpaw jab, slightly bigger and stronger, quick enough hands, great chin and stamina.

the x-factor is.....

Bryd would be facing someone more talented, quicker, and more dynamic than he is so he'd have to get used to that. I think he'd be fighting behind Roy for most of the 1st half before he turns it on late, but it might be too late by then.

I think Roy prolly edges it out in a close fight. Roy knew how to fight at a slow pace and humble you with pot shots or the threat of pot shots, but he knew how to challenge you aggressively with his explosiveness an angles too. If Roy landed some eye catchy shyt once or twice every rd, judges would prolly give it to him. Bryd would have to be be game as hell and get some get back any time he got caught.

I feel like Bryd could have beaten Toney. The fan in me wants to say Bryd beats Roy too, but I think that fight could go either way, but I'd prolly favor Jones.
i think all that trouble roy had with montell griffin down at light heavyweight, he would have had with chris byrd up at heavyweight.

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
i think all that trouble roy had with montell griffin down at light heavyweight, he would have had with chris byrd up at heavyweight.

I know exactly what you mean since Bryd did a lot of ducking and crouching and shot the jab from those positions as well.

Yeah he'd annoy and frustrate the shyt out of Roy for real. :mjlol:

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset
Did u not see bryd get crushed at 175...he can see them big heavy shots n slip, not so much with fighters that could match his speed, exactly how I kick his ass:mjgrin:

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
I'm sorry brehs but Lennox and Roy both 118-110 Byrd:francis:

We gonna have to cut all this out.

Byrd over acheived against a weak HW division and got utterly dominated by the two best ones he faced.

Cmon now.:picard:

Roy Tootsie rolls and pot shots for 12 rounds and I don't know why anyone thinks Wlad and Vitali can casually paint him with a jab all night but Lennox couldn't. There's a recipe to bother Lewis and Byrd ain't got none of it in his spice cabinet.

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset
I'm sorry brehs but Lennox and Roy both 118-110 Byrd:francis:

We gonna have to cut all this out.

Byrd over acheived against a weak HW division and got utterly dominated by the two best ones he faced.

Cmon now.:picard:
Nah they both brutally honest the man:mjgrin:

I liked bryd too pretty much rooted for him his whole career

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Did u not see bryd get crushed at 175...he can see them big heavy shots n slip, not so much with fighters that could match his speed, exactly how I kick his ass:mjgrin:

That wasn't prime Bryd tho. That was an old washed up Bryd that unwittingly dropped down to 175 after never really serious campaigning at that weight before. This aint even Bryd coming outta the Olympics at super middle fighting at light heavy.

@Yuzo asked about a match up that realistically could have happened at a certain time. (late 2003 - early 2004)

He didn't ask who would win between the washed up 2008 versions of both fighters. :hhh: