Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps

Question is they still gonna put mostly the second rate fights on FOX or they can get bigger fights from the Haymon stable like Showtime?
The Charlos being there on the opening of the new deal and the new money raked up behind it tells me that some big names at least will appear.

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Question is they still gonna put mostly the second rate fights on FOX or they can get bigger fights from the Haymon stable like Showtime?
The Charlos being there on the opening of the new deal and the new money raked up behind it tells me that some big names at least will appear.
Can't imagine them putting bum fights on there, the reason why the Fox cards wound up being trash the past the last couple of years is because Showtime paid the premium for the major fights, so PBC dumped the leftovers on the time buys they had already paid for with Fox. This time around Fox is investing heavy, they're not gonna accept the scraps. PBC got too many guys that should be more active, I don't see why guys can't alternate b/w both networks. PBC is lucky ESPN got the UFC tv deal and that left Fox with TV time and money to spare, they can't fukk this up like they did with Spike, NBC, ESPN the first go around.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
back in, i think, 2002, lennox dropped the ibf belt to avoid his mandatory, guess who: chris byrd. byrd was come backing after putting together a few good looking wins, and, rumor was, manny steward wanted no parts of byrd, believing his style to be all wrong for lennox. that was right around the time byrd made holyfield look real, real dumb.

Yup pretty much nailed it.

I remember that Holyfield/Bryd broadcast and they were saying Lewis gave up that IBF belt to Don King for 1 mil and a range rover.

Lewis was the dude, but he ducked Bryd and Bryd earned that fight too.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
Yup pretty much nailed it.

I remember that Holyfield/Bryd broadcast and they were saying Lewis gave up that IBF belt to Don King for 1 mil and a range rover.

Lewis was the dude, but he ducked Bryd and Bryd earned that fight too.
man holyfield couldnt hit byrd with a boat oar. byrd was on a roll, and lennox, after that big payday he got from tyson, may have already been thinking about getting out of boxing, and who could blame him. when the ibf stripped him for not fighting byrd, he signed on to fight low risk kirk johnson. what is it they say about the best laid plans? kirk johnson pulled out with an injury leaving lennox to fight guess who.

Boxing: Lewis admits fight with Klitschko was 'business gamble'
"Yes, I gambled in taking Klitschko at such short notice," Lewis said, "I'm doing the business now and different things weigh on you. Kirk Johnson was supposed to be my tune-up fight, but when he pulled out so close to the fight date I realised they [Home Box Office television and the Staples Center site hosts] weren't really interested in anyone else but Klitschko, and when I said, 'OK, we'll fight Vitali,' there was an outcry from people just glad the fight was occurring and that it would be a good heavyweight fight and give them what they wanted - and expected."

he came into that fight with, what was that skip spoke of, the old man body, and perhaps with doubts he still wanted to be in the sport. if he had any doubts going into the fight, he would have none after, deciding to retire instead of taking that rematch and the big payday that would have come with it.
"But it's funny how quickly things can change," Steward said over a glass of Pinot Grigio in the Polo Lounge once frequented by Frank Sinatra and his Ratpack. "The night before the fight I went to bed around midnight and I woke up at 3.08. I felt something was wrong. I got a very bad feeling, something I'd never had so strongly before a Lennox fight. But it's an odd thing, on a night when everything could have gone so wrong, a night that was really a nightmare to live through, Lennox fought sloppy but didn't get beat and we finished up with a re-match that could make more than the first fight with Tyson - one of the richest in boxing history."

now, if there was ever a moment in time that all the stars aligned and chris byrd would beat lennox lewis, this, i think, was it.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps

:jbhmm:

Idk... We heard about this Japanese fight thing months before and the plan was him fighting in Japan and then Pac if he beats Broner right?
The "fight in Japan" seems to be the truth right now so based on that it's going according to the plan. So from this I wouldn't necessarily conclude that things are off between Mayweather and Haymon

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
man holyfield couldnt hit byrd with a boat oar. byrd was on a roll, and lennox, after that big payday he got from tyson, may have already been thinking about getting out of boxing, and who could blame him. when the ibf stripped him for not fighting byrd, he signed on to fight low risk kirk johnson. what is it they say about the best laid plans? kirk johnson pulled out with an injury leaving lennox to fight guess who.

he came into that fight with, what was that skip spoke of, the old man body, and perhaps with doubts he still wanted to be in the sport. if he had any doubts going into the fight, he would have none after, deciding to retire instead of taking that rematch and the big payday that would have come with it.

now, if there was ever a moment in time that all the stars aligned and chris byrd would beat lennox lewis, this, i think, was it.

Agreed. Bryd was peaking around that time with the Tua and Holyfield wins. While Lewis was dragging his ass around that time and was already one foot out the door

The big men that try to punch through Bryd in attempt to knock him out never seem to put hands on him like the guys that just try to punch at Bryd to land and keep him still.

Makes me wonder how much better Bryd could have performed against Vitali if it wasn't some 2 weeks notice type of fight. Dude even had some bruised/broken ribs going into the Ike fight.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Agreed. Bryd was peaking around that time with the Tua and Holyfield wins. While Lewis was dragging his ass around that time and was already one foot out the door

The big men that try to punch through Bryd in attempt to knock him out never seem to put hands on him like the guys that just try to punch at Bryd to land and keep him still.

Makes me wonder how much better Bryd could have performed against Vitali if it wasn't some 2 weeks notice type of fight. Dude even had some bruised/broken ribs going into the Ike fight.
if im not mistaken didnt byrd have like diarrhea or some wild shyt going into the fight with Vitali?

as for Ike...it wouldnt have mattered regardless Ike was going to send him to the moon at some point in the fight :mjgrin:

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps

Espinoza says they've started talking to Floyd about broadcasting the NYE fight. Also, as I listen to this, it's clear that this interviewer knows nothing about the boxing/MMA business in Japan. The interviewer couldn't pronounce Rizin and made a lot of shyt up in the interview.

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset

Did u see the shots Lennox delivered and took vs Klit, the boy was fighting for his life there........Both Lewis and Wlad was fast enough to catch Byrd

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset

Only thing I wonder about Byrd is how good he could of been had he not wasted his counter opportunities, when he did counter and punch he bothered the shyt out hose heavies who didnt see those shots coming.....