The Official "Better Call Saul" Season 6 Thread (Final Season)

Barry Sanders

Barry>>>
Daps
Reppin
Silverdome
Gus is a military leader from Chile. It was confirmed when he met with the German and Lidya in the hotel room.

It’s why Don Eladio and company didn’t like or trust him. He’s not just a businessman. He’s a killer on a higher level who’s past is shrouded in mystery.

“In Gus' case, that world of order would have been the Chile of the dictator Augusto Pinochet, whose military government jailed, tortured, or killed tens of thousands in an effort to quash dissent after rising to power in 1973.”

“Hector Salamanca refers to him as "generalissimo" and Don Eladio Vuente tells him he's only alive because his reputation preceded him. What we do know is that he left Chile for
Even Lalo it's more.

@0:53

I think it would be dope if they do like a 2hr documentary on Gus background.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Episode was dope af :wow:
Lalo was a great villain, too bad he's gone, a one-man commando, who was pulling Mike and all on strings like it's nothing :whew: Only way they could write him out was the old "Villain gets overly cocky and pays the price" stuff. But it was fitting enough, didn't feel too forced either.
Would have been even colder had Mike shot Kim right on the sport when she pulled that gun out :mjlol:

Def didn't expect Lalo's death to come this early though, I believed Gus vs Lalo will be the main plot line throughout the season, kind of clueless where the show goes from here, on what way they can keep up this intensity, or even just ramp it up again by the end of it.

Kim's ending is the last big mystery out of the non-BB characters, I think she might kill herself out of the guilt she feels after Howard's death but I can also see her simply leaving.

OnlyFrans

subscribe today!
Supporter
Daps
Lalo was a great villain, too bad he's gone, a one-man commando, who was pulling Mike and all on strings like it's nothing :whew: Only way they could write him out was the old "Villain gets overly cocky and pays the price" stuff. But it was fitting enough, didn't feel too forced either.
Would have been even colder had Mike shot Kim right on the sport when she pulled that gun out :mjlol:

Def didn't expect Lalo's death to come this early though, I believed Gus vs Lalo will be the main plot line throughout the season, kind of clueless where the show goes from here, on what way they can keep up this intensity, or even just ramp it up again by the end of it.

Kim's ending is the last big mystery out of the non-BB characters, I think she might kill herself out of the guilt she feels after Howard's death but I can also see her simply leaving.
We have 5 episodes left.

in that time we have to cover

1. Connecting the show to the Breaking Bad timeline.
2. Why Kim isn't in Breaking Bad.
3. The fallout in the community with Howard's death
4. Kim's fate.
5. Gene's fate.

that's a lot to do in 5 episodes so I don't think we gonna be left with too many slow burns.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We have 5 episodes left.

4. Kim's fate.
5. Gene's fate.

that's a lot to do in 5 episodes so I don't think we gonna be left with too many slow burns.
Genes fate determined by Saul Goodman, one last hurrah

:blessed:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I think lalos death came this early because the final 4 episodes will be all gene/saul

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Episode 12 is written and directed by Vince Gilligan.

9Slsicv[1].gif

Fred.

Max.

Banned
WOAT
Daps
In 2009, Breaking Bad opened the book on Lalo Salamanca, and now, 13 years later, Better Call Saul writer-EP Gordon Smith has closed it.

After writing several of the most critically acclaimed hours in the series, Smith’s decorated career as a writer-producer on Better Call Saul has also come to a close as of Monday’s midseason premiere, “Point and Shoot.” The Michigan native started out as an office PA on Breaking Bad season three and worked his way up to executive producer on Saul, winning a WGA award for season three’s “Chicanery” along the way.

Together, with director and co-creator Vince Gilligan, Smith put the finishing touches on a backstory that was alluded to during Saul Goodman’s Breaking Bad debut, the aptly titled “Better Call Saul.” In the Peter Gould-scripted episode, a masked Walter White (Bryan Cranston) and Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) threaten a frightened Saul in the desert, and the criminal lawyer immediately fears that contract killers have come for him on behalf of someone named “Lalo.” Saul even blamed another mysterious figure named Ignacio (Michael Mando’s future role) by yelling, “It wasn’t me! It was Ignacio!”

Given the degree of difficulty required to flesh out a story from what were once considered throwaway lines, Smith and his colleagues felt it was important to be as exact and precise as possible in order to resolve these enduring questions on Saul. That meant having Bob Odenkirk’s Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman literally say the 13-year-old “Ignacio” line again, this time in front of Tony Dalton’s Lalo Salamanca.

“There are times to be oblique, and there are times where we like to give breadcrumbs. But these breadcrumbs are 13 years apart, so it felt like they needed to be big breadcrumbs,” Smith tells The Hollywood Reporter. “That was our thinking in terms of making it that exact and that specific. It also helps us feel why Jimmy is so scared in Breaking Bad’s [“Better Call Saul”]. He’s carried the terror of this moment all these years.”

In a recent spoiler conversation with THR, Smith also discusses Lalo’s final moments and how they differed from his script.

So the teaser is the last scene you shot for the entire series. It’s also the only time you’ve shot Better Call Saul outside of New Mexico, right?

Yeah, I don’t think we’ve shot outside of New Mexico. If we did, it was probably something pretty small, so this was certainly our first major shoot. There was a splinter unit with a fair amount of our crew, and our long-time DP Marshall Adams shot it because the episode’s DP, Paul Donachie, couldn’t get here from England or wherever he was. We shot it at Leo Carrillo State Beach, north of Malibu, which fit the bill and looked good.

Breaking Bad’s Duane Chow was really sold a bill of goods with that lemon of a Jaguar.

(Laughs.) It’s amazing that it made it back to New Mexico from a crime scene. Life finds a way as they say. [Writer’s Note: Smith’s tone was sarcastic, so don’t consider this confirmation that Howard Hamlin’s Jaguar and Duane Chow’s identical-looking Jaguar are one and the same.]

Max.

Banned
WOAT
Daps
So Lalo volunteers Jimmy to go kill Gus even though he really just wants to spread Gus’ security thin. However, Jimmy nominates Kim instead. Was Jimmy basically trading his life for hers?

Yeah, I would say that’s pretty much the calculus. When Lalo says, “And then you bring it back here where me and Mrs. Goodman will be waiting for you,” Jimmy knows that if he screws up, she’s dead. So the only place that’s safe is away from Lalo, and he knows he’s got to get her out of there because whoever stays there dies. So he’s willing to make that sacrifice. The interesting thing to me is how far she makes it in this journey. She knows that if she doesn’t succeed, then Jimmy dies. So had Mike not grabbed her, it’s an open question of whether she would have pulled that trigger, but I feel like the odds are better that she would have.

Right after you shot the scene with the three of them debating who should go assassinate Gus, Bob had his cardiac incident. What was your vantage point at the time?

We were in turnaround, as you say. We’d done a setup, we were in turnaround, and then I heard people calling out. There was a scattering of folks, and then Vince and I went over to Bob, which was where our set medic and [Health and Safety Supervisor] Rosa Estrada were congregating. So it was a very traumatic day for everybody, obviously. We were also so incredibly relieved when Bob seemed to come through. The man was in such good shape. For me and a lot of people, it was a real wake-up call. Almost immediately after we got back, Sony actually offered us a CPR training course. So several of us who were there and our post team all took that CPR training course. And on the other side of that CPR training course, I got an AED, which is an automated external defibrillator. So I now have one of those now in my house. They’re idiot proof, and they save lives including Bob’s life. Rosa saved his life by using her AED. There were a lot of other people involved in saving Bob’s life, but it was an intense day.

It’s quite macabre and eerie that all this happened while filming an episode where Patrick Fabian plays a dead Howard Hamlin on the floor and then is eventually joined by Tony Dalton’s Lalo.

It is eerie. You never know when things are gonna happen or how much time you have in life. Bob has spoken about it, but we were all really lucky that it happened while he was on stage. That meant there were hundreds of people around. When we go out on location, the crew kind of divides, but everyone, the entire crew, was right there and right in it. So we were able to draw upon our resources. Rosa Estrada, who’s also an ER nurse with military medical training, was our COVID officer, and she came rushing in alongside our set medic and a totally different show’s set medic from the next stage over. So as much as it feels like an eerie coincidence, it was a lifesaving coincidence that we were shooting the condo scene. Had we started some of our night work out in the world, it would’ve been much scarier without as many resources.

So once Jimmy is alone with Lalo and is eventually bound and gagged, that was shot two months later, right?

Yes, I think we went back to finish the work in late September, early October. The episode started shooting sometime in July of 2021, and we finished earlier this year. So it took us a while.

Max.

Banned
WOAT
Daps
13 years later, you were tasked with completing the famous backstory that Saul alludes to on Breaking Bad 208. At the time, Saul yelled, “No, it wasn’t me! It was Ignacio!” and now, in Better Call Saul 608, Jimmy literally says the line in response to Lalo’s suspicion that he was in cahoots with Ignacio (Michael Mando). While you didn’t necessarily need to have Jimmy say the exact line, was the difficulty of this plot line worth dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s?

Yes, you’re absolutely right. I think it was worth it. There are times to be oblique, and there are times where we like to give breadcrumbs. Sometimes, we’ll ask ourselves, “Have we put the breadcrumbs too far apart that people can’t follow the trail?” But these breadcrumbs are 13 years apart, so it felt like they needed to be big breadcrumbs. That was our thinking in terms of making it that exact and that specific. It also helps us feel why Jimmy is so scared in Breaking Bad 208. He’s carried the terror of this moment all these years. I think his lizard brain is always going to be sitting there with a gag in its mouth, going, “Oh my god, at any second, Lalo could come and snuff out my life and the life of anyone I’ve ever cared about.”

I just had to ask about the specificity of it since you often prefer us to do the math.

I think you are a special case. For you, it may feel like it’s either over-explained or really obvious, but I’ve had to explain it to a number of people already. That moment goes by so fast in 208 of Breaking Bad, and even though we’ve mined it for two major characters in our show, it’s still a breadcrumb that’s a long way away. So we felt like we couldn’t be too on the nose for people.

In Breaking Bad 208, Saul says to a masked Walt and Jesse, “Lalo didn’t send you? No Lalo?” That can be interpreted as him thinking Lalo is still alive, but are you of the mind that the trauma of Lalo’s first mistaken death stayed with him?

Yeah, that’s what I think. He thinks that Lalo is either still out there or if he’s not still out there, there’s a term known as mortmain. It means the “dead hand,” so the dead hand of Lalo could still be acting there. Either Lalo sent a hit and it took that long to get to him, or he sent instructions to avenge him that took a while to track down. In some way, it still could have circuitously landed on Jimmy, but he’s going to be freaked out about the specter of Lalo until the specter of Walt White becomes a better thing to fear.

When you echoed Breaking Bad 402’s overhead shot at Gus’ house, how complicated was that process?

It was nightmarishly difficult. Producer Jenn Carroll had a tablet with the image, but the lighting conditions and all these things were different. We had a camera platform up several hundred feet in the air on a movable rig, like a little cherry picker. So it’s a movable camera platform, and the camera itself can move on that rig. Jordan Slovin was our B camera operator on the platform, so Jenn was on the radio, saying, “We need you to go a tiny bit wider. We need you to go a tiny bit this way.” And this is not what industrial platform machinery is built for, so it took quite a bit of doing to replicate that shot. But it felt like it was worth it to echo that moment with Walt for Kim, and it turned out great. We did it with great apologies to anyone in that neighborhood who might have been annoyed. Every time you move the rig, it beeps, and we were doing it in the middle of the night. So I know we probably caused some annoyance to some folks in the neighborhood, which we apologized for.

Way more

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
We have 5 episodes left.

4. Kim's fate.
5. Gene's fate.

2 of those are pretty much the same (regarding Kim) and I’m not sure how much they need to connect it to BB because most of these charcters didn’t appear in BB season 1 and when they did in season 2-3 they pretty much already did what they’re doing now. I see what you’re saying though the Gene storlyine might really get more attention

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I think lalos death came this early because the final 4 episodes will be all gene/saul
Honestly thought they gonna keep that as a way to sometimes just show how miserable his life became and maybe cut back to it by the very end but considering the Lalo plot line being done already you might be right about it

Daps
We have 5 episodes left.

4. Kim's fate.
5. Gene's fate.

Most of this could be done pretty quickly depending how they want to do it. The most time consuming one is how Saul gets from that nondescript apartment to the ostentatious mansion we saw in the premier along with the iconic white Cadillac

OnlyFrans

subscribe today!
Supporter
Daps
2 of those are pretty much the same (regarding Kim) and I’m not sure how much they need to connect it to BB because most of these charcters didn’t appear in BB season 1 and when they did in season 2-3 they pretty much already did what they’re doing now. I see what you’re saying though the Gene storlyine might really get more attention
This is true, but its contingent on if Kim doesnt appear in the Gene timeline. If she survives this timeline and just dips out, i wouldnt be surprised if she shows up in some capacity during the Gene era.

Next week is titled “Fun and Games”, but whats more interesting is episode 10 is just called “Nippy”, which drops the “This and This” format the episodes have been using all season. So maybe next week is the last of this timeline?

Most of this could be done pretty quickly depending how they want to do it. The most time consuming one is how Saul gets from that nondescript apartment to the ostentatious mansion we saw in the premier along with the iconic white Cadillac

That prolly has to be the Breaking Bad portion.