As aways
MARGOLIS-anniv.jpg
:ohhh::ohhh: I just realized this.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I think what is happening here is the same thing that happened with Boardwalk Empire where the main character isn't bad, it's just that the supporting characters are just so damn entertaining. Mike, Gus, & Hector are killing it much like Capone, Luciano, Chalky, Mueller and the rest of the mob guys were in BE. Nucky & Jimmy right now are kinda like the straight man and these other characters are dropping the punchlines. I still enjoy Jimmy's story but it can't be denied the more entertaining stuff is happening elsewhere on the show.
Ive always liked Jimmys line way more :manny: if Mike and Gus line was the only thing happening on the show it wouldnt be anything much more than a BB knockoff. but then I like my shows like I like my books - slow burn over pure entertainment/action

of course they had to make jimmy likeable and way more multi-dimensional than he ever is on BB but I think it became way more interesting that way. also chuck is an amazing character and well portrayed by michael mckean

and Im totally sold on vince gilligan at this point. dope x-files episodes, the lone gunmen, bb and bcs :banderas:

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thought you guys might find this interesting. This is an interview with Thomas Schnauz, who directed tonight's episode. He also is an OG writer from Breaking Bad.

It shows they retconned a little of Mike's backstory to link him to Gus. Which was smart.

'Better Call Saul' Director on Why 'Sabrosito' Felt Like a 'Breaking Bad' Episode

You came onto the writing staff of Breaking Bad just as Mike was going from being introduced as Saul's fixer to being revealed to also work with Gus. What do you remember about how that relationship was initially kicked around in the writing room and what's it like now getting to play out the early stage of the relationship?

Yeah, there was a point where we had the Cousins going to Walter White's house and my head's a little hazy on some of the details, but Mike was watching Walter for Saul and we thought, "Well, if the Cousins show up, wouldn't it be interesting if Mike had a connection to Gus?" We needed to have Gus know that these killers were showing up to Walter White's house and Gus needed to stop them. That was the germ of the Mike-Gus connection and then it just blossomed from there, that Mike was working for two sides. Saul always had that gray line of "I know a guy who knows a guy who knows another guy" and once we started putting pieces together it was like, "Mike is one of the guys who knows another guy." It blossomed.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I fukking love this show :blessed:

I'm in the minority I guess but I'm still pretty interested in the Jimmy vs chuck storyline.
nah b I fukk with that storyline way more. I'm more interested in jimmy's transformation to saul, just like I was with walter white's transformation from teacher to criminal. mike's already same ol' mike and so is gus :manny: the gus/mike shyt is cool and all but a lot of it gets cartoonish.

like, how the fukk does the police ever not get a whiff of the scene in the los pollos hermanos ? no one dared to call 911 in 'murica after such bullshyt ? mustve been like 20+ people there not counting staff.
hector is a well known don in these places and if they even hear about it, police would launch a HUGE investigation into gus. not to mention what hector and his goons did was criminal in itself. no way this is kept under wraps.

Cool Dr. Money

I’m Lil Jimmy but my boys call me J-Murder!
Daps
Reppin
Q.U./N.J.
This episode went by fast it's time for Jimmy to turn into Saul we're getting closer but it's moving slower than a snail. Mike's story isn't always action packed but it's still interesting because he knows alot of people that play a part somehow

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
you guys keep saying its moving slow when the whole point of the show is to show the slow transformation from jimmy to saul; instead you seem to want saul goodmans fukkery like in BB just with more side fukkery.

I dont even think the transformation will be complete by the end of this season. and thats a good thing imo - its about the journey, not the destination :blessed:

MJX

Rookie
Daps
I think one of the major reasons people don't enjoy the Jimmy/Chuck storyline as much as they enjoy the Mike/Gus storyline is the stakes just aren't as high. People's lives are at risk when Gus/Mike/Hector put in work. There's a war brewing between Fring and Salamanca's respective operations and Mike's involvement grows with every episode. Anything can happen when they're on the screen. By comparison, Jimmy and Chuck's sibling rivalry playing out through the legal system just isn't as compelling (for most people, at least). The stakes just aren't as high and it's been an ongoing and relatively slow building storyline for three seasons now. While I've personally enjoyed every minute of it, I understand why others have grown tired of it and enjoy the Mike/Gus backstory more.

With all this said, tonight's episode was Breaking Bad level good and this season is shaping up to be the best yet with the promise of more to come.

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think one of the major reasons people don't enjoy the Jimmy/Chuck storyline as much as they enjoy the Mike/Gus storyline is the stakes just aren't as high. People's lives are at risk when Gus/Mike/Hector put in work. There's a war brewing between Fring and Salamanca's respective operations and Mike's involvement grows with every episode. Anything can happen when they're on the screen. By comparison, Jimmy and Chuck's sibling rivalry playing out through the legal system just isn't as compelling (for most people, at least). The stakes just aren't as high and it's been an ongoing and relatively slow building storyline for three seasons now. While I've personally enjoyed every minute of it, I understand why others have grown tired of it and enjoy the Mike/Gus backstory more.

With all this said, tonight's episode was Breaking Bad level good and this season is shaping up to be the best yet with the promise of more to come.
Are the stakes really that high for the viewer though? We already sort of know what happens to Gus and hector.

We don't know what happens to Kim and chuck

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
nah b I fukk with that storyline way more. I'm more interested in jimmy's transformation to saul, just like I was with walter white's transformation from teacher to criminal. mike's already same ol' mike and so is gus :manny: the gus/mike shyt is cool and all but a lot of it gets cartoonish.

like, how the fukk does the police ever not get a whiff of the scene in the los pollos hermanos ? no one dared to call 911 in 'murica after such bullshyt ? mustve been like 20+ people there not counting staff.
hector is a well known don in these places and if they even hear about it, police would launch a HUGE investigation into gus. not to mention what hector and his goons did was criminal in itself. no way this is kept under wraps.

Nah....Hector isn't well known at all. Hank didn't even know who he was when he brought him in to ask about Jesse, and he was obviously DEA.

So then it becomes a weird old guy smoking a cigar in a restaurant. Annoying sure, but hardly a reason to call the cops. As someone who has worked in restaurants half my life I can tell you I've seen far crazier shyt than this, and nobody called the cops.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I think what is happening here is the same thing that happened with Boardwalk Empire where the main character isn't bad, it's just that the supporting characters are just so damn entertaining. Mike, Gus, & Hector are killing it much like Capone, Luciano, Chalky, Mueller and the rest of the mob guys were in BE. Nucky & Jimmy right now are kinda like the straight man and these other characters are dropping the punchlines. I still enjoy Jimmy's story but it can't be denied the more entertaining stuff is happening elsewhere on the show.

Gotta agree with this, and I said it would happen when they introduced Gus. The same thing happened on "Breaking Bad"....there was a couple episodes in season 4 where Walt only appeared for 5-10 minutes. On his own show. And that was Walt....I like Jimmy and I don't mind his arc but this episode was half way over before they even showed him, and I barely noticed.

Regardless, I doubt it'll be too much longer before he's Saul so it's kind of a moot point.

Fred.