The Official "Better Call Saul" Season 2 Thread

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Looking at the 205 promo, I hope its over, he was at his best in season 1...but we still waiting from Jimmy to become Saul. I really hope the HHM & Davis and Main storyline is over. I can watch L.A. Law for legal drama.

I always felt on Breaking Bad he only advertised his law firm for appearances sake. He was knee deep in the game, and I was only interested in this show to see more of that, especially when he linked up with Mike I thought it was about to be lit.

The scene where he was with partners and they said they spent years building up their reputation, you can tell Jimmy was not trying to go that route.

Breh no offense but maybe this show isn't for you.

They're going 5 seasons same as "Breaking Bad". There's zero chance they turn Jimmy into Saul 5 episodes into season 2. Or episode 6, 7, 8, etc. The HHM/lawyer aspect of the show will be around for the foreseeable future.

Fred.

Soon

Banned
Daps
Breh no offense but maybe this show isn't for you.

They're going 5 seasons same as "Breaking Bad". There's zero chance they turn Jimmy into Saul 5 episodes into season 2. Or episode 6, 7, 8, etc. The HHM/lawyer aspect of the show will be around for the foreseeable future.

Fred.

lol@Breh no offense.

Anyway...everyone is talking about waiting on Jimmy becoming Saul. Not just me.

Dudes still coming with this honey lemon tea nonsense in 2016?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I can almost guarantee that's not Gus next episode. Mike has no rep in town. He's actively avoiding the kinds of jobs that would put him on Gus's radar.

Besides, whoever it is has a hat on. And who wears hats?

salamanca_zpsra1n1pzz.png

Fred.

Last edited:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
lol@Breh no offense.

Anyway...everyone is talking about waiting on Jimmy becoming Saul. Not just me.

Dudes still coming with this honey lemon tea nonsense in 2016?

Not sure what "honey lemon tea" is. Say what you mean.

Everyone is waiting on it because it's eventually the point of the show. The last two posts you made you're basically asking "ok, where is Saul?"

It ain't happening any time soon. If the show was failing somehow or critically ignored or something I could kinda understand expecting Saul 14 episodes into the series....but it's not. So they're going to continue at the same pace.

Fred.

Soon

Banned
Daps
Not sure what "honey lemon tea" is. Say what you mean.

Everyone is waiting on it because it's eventually the point of the show. The last two posts you made you're basically asking "ok, where is Saul?"

It ain't happening any time soon. If the show was failing somehow or critically ignored or something I could kinda understand expecting Saul 14 episodes into the series....but it's not. So they're going to continue at the same pace.

Fred.

I guess we will see.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The argument many are making and I see reviewers saying the same thing, this show doesn't stand well on its own. If this was a brand new show with no connection to Breaking Bad, I don't think people would be hyping it like they are.

Is this show really groundbreaking? Is it really in the top tier of shows? I don't think so. It's supporting characters aren't compelling. I mean really, Hamlin? Mike is the best character on this show. Jimmy McGill would be bashed if people didn't know he eventually will become Saul.

I'll say it again, this show is low stakes. That's it's biggest problem. Breaking Bad had HUGE STAKES right out the gate. BCS doesn't. It's laughable someone said this show was on the same level as THE WIRE. Narcos is way better than this show.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The argument many are making and I see reviewers saying the same thing, this show doesn't stand well on its own. If this was a brand new show with no connection to Breaking Bad, I don't think people would be hyping it like they are.

Is this show really groundbreaking? Is it really in the top tier of shows? I don't think so. It's supporting characters aren't compelling. I mean really, Hamlin? Mike is the best character on this show. Jimmy McGill would be bashed if people didn't know he eventually will become Saul.

I'll say it again, this show is low stakes. That's it's biggest problem. Breaking Bad had HUGE STAKES right out the gate. BCS doesn't. It's laughable someone said this show was on the same level as THE WIRE. Narcos is way better than this show.
The show doesn't stand well on it's own but it just won a WGA for the same writing and characters The Coli is saying don't work.
wtfmanzxf_zpslnyho0mw.png

It's one thing to criticize the show....it's another entirely to try to explain away why it's good to other people. It's popular and critically acclaimed because it's a great show.

You can disagree but talking about "well, if it wasn't for 'Breaking Bad'"....c'mon man. That's silly.

When has that ever worked in favor of a spin-off? Ever in history? For every "A Different World" there is 20 "After M.A.S.H".

Lastly who compared this to "The Wire"? :dahell:

Fred.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who cares if it won an award. Lots of things win awards that people don't agree with. Are you really going to use that as your argument?

Weren't you hating on last season of Game of Thrones? Guess what, that won best series Emmy. So your point about awards recognition doesn't exactly jive with what you are saying.

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
@Soon You want Hex to @ you when Jimmy becomes Saul? Could save you a couple seasons of watching how Jimmy becomes Saul which is the whole point of the show.

I don't know what some you are expecting? I mean I guess I do. You are here waiting for Saul and Gus and the cartels to be popping off. The thing is if you watched BB it was a slow build up. Yeah, it might have been more exciting because Walt was doing illegal stuff and almost always getting caught. Jimmy/Saul isn't really doing anything illegal. He's just teetering between good and bad when it comes to ethics. Eventually something is going to "Break" Jimmy. We aren't sure what that is yet, but that's why I'm watching.

A slow methodical show that builds a back story is more entertaining to me then a show like NCIS where every episode is just about running around and shooting guns with no follow up the next episode to what happened the previous.

Mike might be the most entreating part of the show right now and I think it's because we all like the violence that we know will come with his character.

In Vince I Trust.

Soon

Banned
Daps
@Soon You want Hex to @ you when Jimmy becomes Saul? Could save you a couple seasons of watching how Jimmy becomes Saul which is the whole point of the show.

I don't know what some you are expecting? I mean I guess I do. You are here waiting for Saul and Gus and the cartels to be popping off. The thing is if you watched BB it was a slow build up. Yeah, it might have been more exciting because Walt was doing illegal stuff and almost always getting caught. Jimmy/Saul isn't really doing anything illegal. He's just teetering between good and bad when it comes to ethics. Eventually something is going to "Break" Jimmy. We aren't sure what that is yet, but that's why I'm watching.

A slow methodical show that builds a back story is more entertaining to me then a show like NCIS where every episode is just about running around and shooting guns with no follow up the next episode to what happened the previous.

Mike might be the most entreating part of the show right now and I think it's because we all like the violence that we know will come with his character.

In Vince I Trust.

I learned Mike had military training this episode. That M-40 was a good choice.

That gun runner tried to sell him a 50 cal.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Who cares if it won an award. Lots of things win awards that people don't agree with. Are you really going to use that as your argument?

Breh please make some sense here.

Your posts starts with "what reviewers said". Which is false, but I'll get to that in a minute.

So....reviewers are fair game, but the actual Writer's Guild isn't? :what:

As far as reviewers....you're cherry picking a couple lines from otherwise positive reviews.

94% on Rottentomatoes.
85% on Metacritic.
B+ from Hitfix.
Alan Sepinwall compared it to season 2 of "Breaking Bad"
A from Indiewire.
4/5 from Empire.
4/5 from Vulture.
9.2 from IGN.

Den Of Geek:

There are a lot of things Better Call Saul deserves praise for, but one often overlooked element is just how well it understands the mechanics of a good prequel.

NY Daily News:

But this point, it’s time to start coming to the realization that “Better Call Saul” is no longer a spinoff. It is so much more.

WIRED:

Better Call Saul was one of the best TV surprises of last year.

etc. etc. etc.

I'm sure this is all a moot point because you'll just say "well, they're just saying that because of 'Breaking Bad'".

Like I said if you don't like the show, cool. But all these excuses for why the show is praised is corny. It can be a great show and you can not like it. I'm not a fan of "Mad Men".

Fred.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You also knocked GAME OF THRONES which is heavily praised and won awards. So your awards chatter still doesn't hold weight.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'd say the stakes are pretty high. we're watching someone make poor decisions that will take their life from a decent/successful career as a lawyer to working at a cinnabon in nebraska living a life of paranoia hiding from the feds.