The Official "Better Call Saul" Season 1 Thread

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
I just finished S5E4 and can see where the hate is coming from. Ever since she found out about Gus, shes been back to the cold bytchy character from season 2. I can slightly understand her fear, but her actions don't inspire sympathy at all.
Plus, with all the shyt shes put Walt through (the latest being that "all i can do is wait" line), a lot of other men wouldve whopped her ass long time ago. Her wishy washy ness is annoying. Shoulda just turned in the divorce papers.

But now for my Walking Dead break.
That's why I mentioned earlier in the thread that once she got involved in the business I began to like her less or not that because I still liked her character just stopped disagreed with and didn't defend more.
But where I differ is that I believe her actions against Walt have mainly been massively justified especially the wait for his cancer to come back line.
Walt is my second favorite character after Hank but I really wanted to see him get his so I tend to side with whoever is against him and by season 5a I was beginning to get physically disgusted when I saw him on screen.
Basically I chop it up to the writers making Walt too likeable and viewers (not you) not taking the show the way it was intended.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The end of Faceoff :banderas:. Ya boy Walt is diabolical! Series would've been perfect had it ended right there. But on to the next one :blessed:

You notice when he got the idea? Rewatch this scene from the episode before "Face Off":

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Vince Gilligan said he put the stuff in there with Gretchen as a way to show his real motives for being in the business, to give him an out but the majority of the fans of the series were still using the he's doing it for his family excuse up until the last season and some until this day and blaming everybody else for for his actions so that they could justify liking and rooting for him.
I always took his answer to Jesse in episode one about why he's doing it as his real answer.
And my interpretation of the knock scene was him taking out his anger and frustration and feelings of being trapped and inadequacy on his wife because he's the only person he held a modicum of power on in his life at that point.
But most people just went lol badass line.
And on the Skyler thing she has a ridiculously large hate base and that's not to say she doesn't do wrong because no one on this show is without a sin but goddamn you wouldn't believe the shyt said about her and the actress Anna Gunn.
She ended up writing an Op-Ed (which I don't totally agree with) in the NYtimes about the vitriolic response towards Skyler and even herself.

I took that line a different way. The post is kind of a long read but it was a good conversation. @PoPo if you read this don't do it until after you've finished the series:

http://www.thecoli.com/posts/9198973/

Fred.

Konnan

Undisputed Jack in the Box Parking Lot Champion
Daps
Reppin
#UGA #BirdBrehs #DSGB #StarkSet
I know people are wanting us to chill on posting shyt about BB but Im not looking for the BB thread so I'll say this last thing about that show

Seeing Walt waste away in that shack in the middle of nowhere and willing to pay some loser nobody delivery guy to sit with him is some of the saddest shyt Ive ever seen on tv :mjcry:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I know people are wanting us to chill on posting shyt about BB but Im not looking for the BB thread so I'll say this last thing about that show
Seeing Walt waste away in that shack in the middle of nowhere and willing to pay some loser nobody delivery guy to sit with him is some of the saddest shyt Ive ever seen on tv :mjcry:

Post all the "Breaking Bad" stuff you want in here. Knock yourself out. The official "BB" thread is in The Rafters so you can't post in it any way. Besides, "BB" is gonna come up in this discussion due to this being a spin-off.

Fred.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Just finished the first two episodes.

Its aight so far. Needs to find its own identity. Ill keep watching but Im pretty meh towards it.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I already feel like it has its own identity.
I can separate it from Breaking Bad at least.
Like a huge chunk of the the show so far is fan service to BB fans and its filled with BB characters, filmed like BB and dialogue like BB so I don't know how thats possible.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Like a huge chunk of the the show so far is fan service to BB fans and its filled with BB characters, filmed like BB and dialogue like BB so I don't know how thats possible.
Filmed like Breaking Bad? Sure they're similar but did you expect them to completely revamp their style? And even with that there's a lot if differences like the digital camera, the still wide shots, the zoom like in the scene where they close in on Mike leaning in or Abuelitos face or Saul while Tuco is breaking the skaters legs, or different cinematography in general like the date scene or Sauls argument with his brother and even the montage while being a montage was pretty damn different.
And dialogue? What did you want them to do? Get worse? If anything it's more comedic, the show in general is more comedic.
Oh and a huge chunk of the show is fan service and filled with Breaking Bad characters?
Anything fan service related I didn't even notice and the only people who do are the ones actively searching for that type of thing and you can see that in a lot of discussions on the show so it's nothing big or intrusive and guess what? This is in the same universe as Breaking Bad so if course there will be characters from the series and each of them makes sense to be in there and isn't some gratuitous throw in made for winks.
Tuco made perfect sense and was damn good television and damn good for Sauls character and introducing him to Nacho who we will actually be following and Mike is a co-star on the show and we've known this and we've known they had history pre breaking bad so there's nothing wrong with that at all.
The only people hung up on these things are the people who can't let go that it's a spin-off and having it form it's "own identity" so they harp on these little things and ruin enjoyment of the show for themselves.

GoPro

EscoBeard Season Has Returned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#CertLife #ITGang
That's why I mentioned earlier in the thread that once she got involved in the business I began to like her less or not that because I still liked her character just stopped disagreed with and didn't defend more.
But where I differ is that I believe her actions against Walt have mainly been massively justified especially the wait for his cancer to come back line.
Walt is my second favorite character after Hank but I really wanted to see him get his so I tend to side with whoever is against him and by season 5a I was beginning to get physically disgusted when I saw him on screen.
Basically I chop it up to the writers making Walt too likeable and viewers (not you) not taking the show the way it was intended.

Yea I'm actually back on team fukk Walt. Up until the 5th season he was irrational, but relatable. But now he's totally maniacal, practically malevolent. They might as well had named this "Scarface: New Mexico". Reminds me of that Rico line from Paid In Full "Half these nikkas wanna be the man just cause"..

You notice when he got the idea? Rewatch this scene from the episode before "Face Off":

Fred.

Yea I peeped it. Shoulda followed the first two spins.

I took that line a different way. The post is kind of a long read but it was a good conversation. @PoPo if you read this don't do it until after you've finished the series:

http://www.thecoli.com/posts/9198973/

Fred.

Just got done with S5E8 ("just shut the fukk up and let me die in peace" :wow:), and tbh, I'm not even liking S5 so far. I kinda just wanna watch the last two eps to wrap it up, but I'ma grind through tmrw. I mean I'm pretty sure I know what's gonna happen to Jesse, so its just waiting for the inevitable at this point.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Yea I'm actually back on team fukk Walt. Up until the 5th season he was irrational, but relatable. But now he's totally maniacal, practically malevolent. They might as well had named this "Scarface: New Mexico". Reminds me of that Rico line from Paid In Full "Half these nikkas wanna be the man just cause"..

Yea I peeped it. Shoulda followed the first two spins.

Just got done with S5E8 ("just shut the fukk up and let me die in peace" :wow:), and tbh, I'm not even liking S5 so far. I kinda just wanna watch the last two eps to wrap it up, but I'ma grind through tmrw. I mean I'm pretty sure I know what's gonna happen to Jesse, so its just waiting for the inevitable at this point.
You've probably heard this already but back in season one Vince Gilligan said that his goal for the show was to turn Mr.Chips (but Walt was never Mr.Chips if his backstory with his dad and Gretchen and general behavior in the first episode tells you anything) into Scarface so yah he did that for you.
His ego is on cloud nine. He was feeling himself way too much in th say my name scene practically jerking himself off.
You'd be surprised (maybe not) at the amount of apologists he has and the lengths they go to for Walt.