hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
So, this is sitting on a 72 on metacritic :patrice:

I wouldn't call that particularly good.

We'll see come Sunday

"Breaking Bad" season 1 is 72. "The Wire" season 1 is only 79.
:yeshrug:

Metacritic is kind of a joke breh. The site is great in theory because it compiles every review, the problem is it tries to break down the tone of a review into a number. They gave it a 72 with 8 positive reviews, 2 "mixed" reviews, and zero negative reviews.

Fred.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
"Breaking Bad" season 1 is 72. "The Wire" season 1 is only 79.
:yeshrug:

Metacritic is kind of a joke breh. The site is great in theory because it compiles every review, the problem is it tries to break down the tone of a review into a number. They gave it a 72 with 8 positive reviews, and 2 "mixed" reviews with no real criticisms, and zero negative reviews.

Fred.
Yeah, I read some of the reviews. They're not all great. I'm still gonna watch, but my expectations have been tempered.

It was only off 3 episodes though, so you know how it goes...

We'll see...

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, I read some of the reviews. They're not all great. I'm still gonna watch, but my expectations have been tempered.

It was only off 3 episodes though, so you know how it goes...

We'll see...

My expectations were always lowered. I expect this to be a solid B tier show like "Justified" or "The Americans" because this would be a three-peat for Vince Gilligan if it's anything beyond that. And statistically speaking, that's not gonna happen. Imagine if "Boardwalk Empire" was received as well as "The Sopranos". Gilligan came off "X-Files", did "Breaking Bad"....to do it again is virtually impossible.

Fred.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
My expectations were always lowered. I expect this to be a solid B tier show like "Justified" or "The Americans" because this would be a three-peat for Vince Gilligan if it's anything beyond that. And statistically speaking, that's not gonna happen. Imagine if "Boardwalk Empire" was received as well as "The Sopranos". Gilligan came off "X-Files", did "Breaking Bad"....to do it again is virtually impossible.

Fred.
And if he does do it then what :lupe:?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

Fred.

Vince wasn't listed as "Executive Producer" of the X-Files when the show was at its height. I think it might be fair to say that Vince learned how to run an elite show from the X-Files, rather than he personally ran an elite show.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Vince wasn't listed as "Executive Producer" of the X-Files when the show was at its height. I think it might be fair to say that Vince learned how to run an elite show from the X-Files, rather than he personally ran an elite show.

That's why I used the "Boardwalk"/"Sopranos" example. Terrence Winter wasn't the mastermind behind "Sopranos", David Chase was....but there's very few writers in history that worked on 3 monstrous pop culturally iconic shows in a row, regardless of their official title.

It was his first real writing job besides screen plays, so obviously he learned from it....but Vince Gilligan had nothing to do with the myth arcs that ruined the show. That was all Chris Carter. He ended "Breaking Bad" early because of what happened to "The X-Files".

He wrote some of the best standalone eps, including creating one of it's most iconic villains, Robert Patrick Modell. If "Better Call Saul" is anything above average, he'll be in an elite class of writers/show runners.

Fred.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
That's why I used the "Boardwalk"/"Sopranos" example. Terrence Winter wasn't the mastermind behind "Sopranos", David Chase was....but there's very few writers in history that worked on 3 monstrous pop culturally iconic shows in a row, regardless of their official title.

It was his first real writing job besides screen plays, so obviously he learned from it....but Vince Gilligan had nothing to do with the myth arcs that ruined the show. That was all Chris Carter. He ended "Breaking Bad" early because of what happened to "The X-Files".

He wrote some of the best standalone eps, including creating one of it's most iconic villains, Robert Patrick Modell. If "Better Call Saul" is anything above average, he'll be in an elite class of writers/show runners.

Fred.
Dropping knowledge :wow:And Pusher Modell was just :wow::wow::wow:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Where the hell is the promo for this show at?

:dwillhuh:

Commercials been airing the last 2-3 months, promo is all over the internet, every major and minor TV critic reviewed the first 3 episodes 2 weeks ago, there's billboards in every major city, there's ads on the side of buses even....not sure what you mean breh.

B8frA5QIcAAxXv0.jpg

Fred.

jaguar paw

Music Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Optimistic But I Got Hands Tho
Commercials been airing the last 2-3 months, promo is all over the internet, every major and minor TV critic reviewed the first 3 episodes 2 weeks ago, there's billboards in every major city, there's ads on the side of buses even....not sure what you mean breh.

B8frA5QIcAAxXv0.jpg

Fred.

Breh....I'm on the internet, traveling, living in a major city, and on social media everyday. Didn't even realize it was starting this weekend until I came in the Film Room.

And you know I followed Breaking Bad heavily.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Breh....I'm on the internet, traveling, living in a major city, and on social media everyday.

I feel you....but "Better Call Saul" is all over all of that, and has been for months. Hell, check earlier in the thread, the first promo came out 6 months ago.

Bob Odenkirk is on Jimmy Kimmel tomorrow and the show was even on the cover of Variety like a week ago:

tumblr_ni5div7vrb1tp4v85o1_1280.jpg

They've done every avenue of advertising possible, short of pulling a "Game Of Thrones" and dropping a trailer in IMAX. I dunno breh, maybe you're just busy as hell. :manny:

Fred.