Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

superchoops

Superstar
Daps

I usually ignore when people say "They heard the rounds and they're incredible" but I give Verb a little lee-way since he said the same thing about Danny before the Tay Roc performance. Verb is saying Cortez material for Surf is so good he's confident enough to bet on any round with Eazy wants.

i aint gon lie, Cortez' calmness in all of this has given me some confidence in him...once he said he thought JJDD was gonna do what Cortez had planned but didnt, i figured he's got some good shyt to dive in on.
at the same time i hope he's got a good delivery to match whatever content he's bringin to the table next sunday

end of the day, i still wouldn't bet anything on him :yeshrug:

young yeesh

All Star
Daps
@theflyest who would you say is more hands on: Floyd with Mayweather Promotions or Smack with URL?

Boxers, battlers, and media seem to only mention Ellerbe and Beasley when discussing negotiations, especially Cal in this Chess faceoff

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
@Zero kind of right about Lil Slap. If anybody else wouldve said that Drakeo bar it wouldve been problems.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I usually ignore when people say "They heard the rounds and they're incredible" but I give Verb a little lee-way since he said the same thing about Danny before the Tay Roc performance. Verb is saying Cortez material for Surf is so good he's confident enough to bet on any round with Eazy wants.

I don’t doubt that he has written some great rounds. But you’ve got to PERFORM those rounds.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@theflyest who would you say is more hands on: Floyd with Mayweather Promotions or Smack with URL?

Boxers, battlers, and media seem to only mention Ellerbe and Beasley when discussing negotiations, especially Cal in this Chess faceoff

I honestly don’t know how anyone can gauge this unless you have inside knowledge. I actually lived in LV for a brief period, so I actually know what Floyd has done for fighters. Watching someone like Tank Davis train at his gym and giving him pointers is about as hands on as you can get.

With Smack, someone from Ny like @FreshAIG would know better then me just how “hands on” smack is.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I honestly don’t know how anyone can gauge this unless you have inside knowledge. I actually lived in LV for a brief period, so I actually know what Floyd has done for fighters. Watching someone like Tank Davis train at his gym and giving him pointers is about as hands on as you can get.

With Smack, someone from Ny like @FreshAIG would know better then me just how “hands on” smack is.
Yeah as far as I know, Beasley deals with most of the negotiations.

As far as hands on in other ways, I mean he has personal relationships with this battlers, but with Floyd it's hard to compare because he actually does what the same thing these fighters do. So he can give pointers on boxing, how to deal with money, groupies, family etc...but Smack isn't a battler or even a rapper. He can't really be that hands on in that capacity, but I know Smack has paid rent, bills, bails, lawyers for some battlers over the years.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
I don’t doubt that he has written some great rounds. But you’ve got to PERFORM those rounds.

True. We went thru this with Cassidy rounds for either Goodz and Arsonal and Danny Myers overhyped when it hit that stage. Knowing Cor, the material is there though. But I like how Verb broke it down as to why he didn’t place a bet at first and now he is.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
i aint gon lie, Cortez' calmness in all of this has given me some confidence in him...once he said he thought JJDD was gonna do what Cortez had planned but didnt, i figured he's got some good shyt to dive in on.
at the same time i hope he's got a good delivery to match whatever content he's bringin to the table next sunday

end of the day, i still wouldn't bet anything on him :yeshrug:

He is going about it somewhat right BUT we have to wait and see with this one. I would just say Cor gonna body this but can’t say that out the gate; not even a Surf fan but I can’t say this will be a walk in the park for either one of them. JJDD did ok with no slips or stumbles but he re-said things everyone already knew, didn’t sound as motivated, and it just wasn’t his night.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He is going about it somewhat right BUT we have to wait and see with this one. I would just say Cor gonna body this but can’t say that out the gate; not even a Surf fan but I can’t say this will be a walk in the park for either one of them. JJDD did ok with no slips or stumbles but he re-said things everyone already knew, didn’t sound as motivated, and it just wasn’t his night.
Cortez could have the same issue JJDD actually had. Getting through the rounds clean or not, being motivated or not, if Surf is also getting through his rounds clean, he’s simply a much better rapper than either one of them. So both coming on their A game is gonna just be a clear win for Surf. Cortez is gonna need to have something special or unexpected.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I can't see Smack being hands on. First 5 years of Smack URL I didn't even know he enjoyed battle rap. The one time I met their team years ago (Beasley/Cheeko/Smack/Norbes) Smack spoke the least out of all of them. I asked him a battle rap related question and he just stared off into space. I don't think he does anything besides host. He has the stripes off the work he put in with Smack DVD.