Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Ripp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
He was saying how DMX came up battling, and spitting these long verses, but he actually listened when nikkas got him in the studio and learned how to structure songs.

Mase was saying he himself used to battle all the time, and 1 verse would be like 2 songs of rhymes, but he listened and learned how to craft songs

He was trying to teach Lux how to do the same, but he wasn't taking to the advise it seems.

Wrong and right. X came up battling but he was making music first. Theres songs as early as 91 with X spittin 3 verse songs (16 bars) with 8 bar hooks inbetween. He knew how to structure songs because he was rapping since the 80s. He leaned more into battles because it was how he was able to prove he was better than nikkas when he felt the music biz wasn't giving him the proper shot.. alot of his lyrics used on his songs he had already written by 94

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Wrong and right. X came up battling but he was making music first. Theres songs as early as 91 with X spittin 3 verse songs (16 bars) with 8 bar hooks inbetween. He knew how to structure songs because he was rapping since the 80s. He leaned more into battles because it was how he was able to prove he was better than nikkas when he felt the music biz wasn't giving him the proper shot.. alot of his lyrics used on his songs he had already written by 94
This is facts. I know all of X's old songs by heart too. lol. I will say, his structure definitely improved later on. But everyone's kinda did, a lot of rappers in the late 80s just rapped long verses. That's why songs was routinely 5-6 minutes

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is facts. I know all of X's old songs by heart too. lol. I will say, his structure definitely improved later on. But everyone's kinda did, a lot of rappers in the late 80s just rapped long verses. That's why songs was routinely 5-6 minutes

I will say this though. If Lux made the type of music that I believe he should, song structure wouldn’t matter as much. The type of nyggas that listen to Lux, wouldn’t care if he rapped 5 minutes straight.

Lol Remember that nygga Budden would make 10 to 12 min songs. However, he understood his lane.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I will say this though. If Lux made the type of music that I believe he should, song structure wouldn’t matter as much. The type of nyggas that listen to Lux, wouldn’t care if he rapped 5 minutes straight.

Lol Remember that nygga Budden would make 10 to 12 min songs. However, he understood his lane.
This is true, Lux lane isn't big records. He's never gone blow up. But he can still have a profitable career in the RJ Payne/Ransom/38 Spesh lane.

To be honest, Lux shouldn't be having to battle anymore. The fact he hasn't established himself enough musically to even have a Mickey Factz type career is actually ridiculous when you think about it. Even the way he raps currently isn't even intended to be used in current battle format. He's in a weird spot. Luckily for him his name still carries enough weight to get himself big battle bags.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
This is true, Lux lane isn't big records. He's never gone blow up. But he can still have a profitable career in the RJ Payne/Ransom/38 Spesh lane.

To be honest, Lux shouldn't be having to battle anymore. The fact he hasn't established himself enough musically to even have a Mickey Factz type career is actually ridiculous when you think about it. Even the way he raps currently isn't even intended to be used in current battle format. He's in a weird spot. Luckily for him his name still carries enough weight to get himself big battle bags.
All facts, but can Lux make records at all digestible to regular nikkas? That shyt with Cambatta may as well be Sanskrit to your average rap fan. I love rappity rap, and I wasn't thrilled about some of it.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
All facts, but can Lux make records at all digestible to regular nikkas? That shyt with Cambatta may as well be Sanskrit to your average rap fan. I love rappity rap, and I wasn't thrilled about some of it.
I loved it, not sure how well it did though lol, so fair point.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

issue is Lux doesn’t have the beat selection that those guys do

it would be great if any of those dudes just selected his beats for him

Their beats range from solid to great. Lux’s beats sound cheap to me.

In order for him to make that leap he’s going to have to elevate.

Ransom elevated over the years, although his ear for beats was never as bad as Lux.

lol Lux just does a lot of shyt in his music I just don’t like from him singing hooks with his crappy singing voice, rapping in weird voices, shytty beats.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I don't know why yall gassing the lil boy because when he actually gets destroyed and has tears in his eyes, yall are gonna say whoever did it went too far.

Yall did that. Just telling you now :francis:

superchoops

Superstar
Daps
finally gettin the chance to watch this Kyd Slade/RNB battle

Kyd Slade had potential in that UM4 tournament but this battle? :whoo:

"you told chef trez when you spin the block it sound like debo comin, it aint hard to believe those lines
nikka got the nerve to ask me what i got on his 40...NOTHIN, nikka, but it's a beam on mines" :whew:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

I usually ignore when people say "They heard the rounds and they're incredible" but I give Verb a little lee-way since he said the same thing about Danny before the Tay Roc performance. Verb is saying Cortez material for Surf is so good he's confident enough to bet on any round with Eazy wants.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I usually ignore when people say "They heard the rounds and they're incredible" but I give Verb a little lee-way since he said the same thing about Danny before the Tay Roc performance. Verb is saying Cortez material for Surf is so good he's confident enough to bet on any round with Eazy wants.

Man Jesus Christ could've said he heard Cortez rounds and they were dope, I believe it when I hear it :unimpressed:

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps

I'm glad Verb feels this way but I need to see it to believe it.