Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikka this is every battle with Shine
you dont have to tell me i mostly agree with you but there are battles I have enjoyed Shine more like the rematch with tay roc or vs danny myers, vs verb. he was average as fukk vs chess to me. I know youll appreciate this one but I always thought his shyt vs JC was overated AF, his first two rounds are trash and even the MJ scheme in the third is overated just like any of his other gimmicks like professor shine which made no sense scientifically speaking

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ive rewatched chess/shine a few tines now and i felt this way on first watch but I didnt post in here but I dont see how shine won. it reminds me of roc/chess except roc was better than shine and chess was better vs roc than shine but chess bars were waaaaaayyyyy better, its not even close. its at least 2-1 chess and if chess didnt fumble on and off in his 2nd its a 3-0. what did shine say ? even shines 2nd, where he was so called talking to him, a lot of the shyt didnt even rhyme. there was nothing clever about it. he was getting gassed on mediocre shyt.
Battle rap is like 25% bars, 25% believability and 50% performance/delivery. Shine, Hitman Holla, Arsonal, etc... None of these dudes got serious pens like that (Shine's is probably the best out of this bunch), but they are still super tier battle rappers because of the other essentials. I'm like you tho, for me the shyt is 100% about bars/skills, unfortunately thats not how most people judge battles tho.

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Ive rewatched chess/shine a few tines now and i felt this way on first watch but I didnt post in here but I dont see how shine won. it reminds me of roc/chess except roc was better than shine and chess was better vs roc than shine but chess bars were waaaaaayyyyy better, its not even close. its at least 2-1 chess and if chess didnt fumble on and off in his 2nd its a 3-0. what did shine say ? even shines 2nd, where he was so called talking to him, a lot of the shyt didnt even rhyme. there was nothing clever about it. he was getting gassed on mediocre shyt.
Chess 2-1 clear but gas sells apparently

oO J Smooth Oo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uk
Battle rap is like 25% bars, 25% believability and 50% performance/delivery. Shine, Hitman Holla, Arsonal, etc... None of these dudes got serious pens like that (Shine's is probably the best out of this bunch), but they are still super tier battle rappers because of the other essentials. I'm like you tho, for me the shyt is 100% about bars/skills, unfortunately thats not how most people judge battles tho.
hitman is far superior in every department.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
caffeine crash dummy :dead:
Tay just had to stand in front of the hottest 6 rounds we've heard from Day and Mook :mjlol: if nikkas are gonna try to kill tay like this i got a whole list of nikkas i want battling him

He basically took over the mr classic debatable/loss lane from surf, this the whole reason surf status was where it was to begin with, long as he doesnt choke i say keep booking lil tay tay and let nikkas leave earth against him

oO J Smooth Oo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uk
Tay just had to stand in front of the hottest 6 rounds we've heard from Day and Mook :mjlol: if nikkas are gonna try to kill tay like this i got a whole list of nikkas i want battling him

He basically took over the mr classic debatable/loss lane from surf, this the whole reason surf status was where it was to begin with, long as he doesnt choke i say keep booking lil tay tay and let nikkas leave earth against him
:russ:roc stood infront of 6 great rounds, i always respect roc for coming prepared, but yeah dude is smack cannon fodder

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
:russ:roc stood infront of 6 great rounds, i always respect roc for coming prepared, but yeah dude is smack cannon fodder
Anything less than top tier rounds woulda hurt his career badly(this is my personal metric for who is top tier and who isnt), i aint mad at him at all for holding his own, wish more nikkas would do that instead of laying down and dying

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Its crazy how people pan nikkas like JC and Daylyt for quote on quote ARBITRATIONal bars but turn around and praise a nikka for moving around all hyperactive like the Gang Green Gang on coffee. Performance itself is arbitrational. shyt has nothing to do with RAPPING. And I dont miss crowds AT ALL.

mvp_status

Superstar
Daps
The narrative that Shine is some unbeatable battle rapper confuses me. I know I’m a pen geek but a lot of his bars are mad basic. He just has elite delivery.

I partly blame the culture for not checking him when he was was running around saying he 30'd Ave and Geechi when he lost both those battles

But to say he wasnt wilding on Chess is borderline hate imo

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I partly blame the culture for not checking him when he was was running around saying he 30'd Ave and Geechi when he lost both those battles

But to say he wasnt wilding on Chess is borderline hate imo

He definitely lost both those battles. Especially that Geechi battle because he showed up as a Super Blood and rapped like Twork.

He was good against Chess but Chess’ writing was high level for that battle and the only thing that held him back was his delivery lacking confidence at times. That’s the only reason why Shine has an argument but after several watches, I had Chess winning clearly.

Last edited:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Shine is the most overrated in the game right now, him or B. Dot.