Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Shine vs Chess soundin like its gonna happen 9/19 from the Primetime tonight

Why is this Charmeleon looking ass nikka still getting booked. If this is true then Smack just further confims he's a buster and lets nikkas disrespect him on his league. fakkit. Change his name from SMACK to SLAPONTHEWRIST. fakkit

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Watched ryda vs Mike p again

Ryda got robbed. Honestly it was highway robbery. Mike p stumbled once in the 2nd and twice in the 3rd and could make a argument he was choking to end the 3rd. Add in the fact ryda had the best round out of the entire match and again ryda got robbed.
Ryda won 3-0 imo, gentlemen's 3-0

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Mickey Facts said on Math's thing how Smack making the battles only available on the app is disrespectful to the battlers because it suppresses their popularity, and as a result, suppresses their opportunities. I agree. But the battlers go for it so hey
:mjgrin:They can always battle on RBE/KOTD if they dont like how URL does business.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Mickey Facts said on Math's thing how Smack making the battles only available on the app is disrespectful to the battlers because it suppresses their popularity, and as a result, suppresses their opportunities. I agree. But the battlers go for it so hey
Yea i dont know what kind of deals these battlers are signing with URL but if they arent getting a percentage off of their own battles then they taking a huge L

Imagine taking a flat fee when these nikkas gonna make subscription money forever off of 3 songs worth of bars you wrote :mjlol:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Battlers really ain't got a choice but to go for it. It's his platform. Nobody is stopping any of these guys from running their own leagues or producing their own battles.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
It makes no sense to put new url battlers on the app before they build a fan base.

URL should still be releasing battles of the guys trying to build a resume on YouTube still. Until they at least gain Swamp level traction.

You should be trying to get your new battlers as much exposure as possible. The App at best, has what, 25K subscribers? Even if you want to get crazy and push it to 50k, that’s nothing for exposure when the URL Youtube page is over a 1.2 million.

I understand they’re trying to build their app but this is like trying to secure fiends as clientele for some brand new work before they even get a sample of the product. Some times you gotta give them freebies so they can tell you if it’s potent or not.

H. Selassie

Black Royalty
Daps
this is like trying to secure fiends as clientele for some brand new work before they even get a sample of the product. Some times you gotta give them freebies so they can tell you if it’s potent or not.

(Playing DA here) Smack’s argument is “I gave you 10 years of free quality product”. Hence, the brand reputation should be enough to trust the app, even if it features unproven talent. “It’s the URL and we only co-sign the best” is the logic is the logic.

I mean...I get but I still ain’t paying for that damn app.

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
That's BS imo, they get paid handsomely to do what they do plus are promoted heavily across a multitude of platforms (Youtube, URL Twitter, URL App, watchbattlelive/Caffeine) . The onus is on the battler's to leverage that into something greater should they wish.

Last edited:

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
It makes no sense to put new url battlers on the app before they build a fan base.

URL should still be releasing battles of the guys trying to build a resume on YouTube still. Until they at least gain Swamp level traction.

You should be trying to get your new battlers as much exposure as possible. The App at best, has what, 25K subscribers? Even if you want to get crazy and push it to 50k, that’s nothing for exposure when the URL Youtube page is over a 1.2 million.

I understand they’re trying to build their app but this is like trying to secure fiends as clientele for some brand new work before they even get a sample of the product. Some times you gotta give them freebies so they can tell you if it’s potent or not.

I think what Smack has done in building and owning (& by consequence keeping BR alive) distribution shouldn't be understated, that said, if I have one major criticism which correlates with your post is that they should definitely have a free tier.

One of the three weekly battles should be made free, not only will it help promote the new guys but also, they'll (URL) make money in the long run as you it brings more eyes to the table and allows for easier conversion.

If I'm watching * new guy* vs *new guy* for free on the app , I'll be far more likely to upgrade to premium to watch *Known name* vs *known name*. It's basic business sense to have a free tier, a win win for all involved (consumers and vendors)

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
(Playing DA here) Smack’s argument is “I gave you 10 years of free quality product”. Hence, the brand reputation should be enough to trust the app, even if it features unproven talent. “It’s the URL and we only co-sign the best” is the logic is the logic.

I mean...I get but I still ain’t paying for that damn app.

I get that but the difference is, it's not so much about the app being the new product, the battlers are the new product. The app is just where it's housed. So yeah, the fiends may move to the new block you have work at, but they not copping brand new yellow tops for $10 that they never tried but they'll cop the red tops for $10 because they already know it's quality.

So the fans that have the app aren't even clicking on the new battlers battles because they don't know them. So the new guys need any kinda of exposure they can get, so dropping their battles on the Youtube will have at least a good portion of the 1.2 million click on their battles. Which, since people are starved for Youtube battles, will probably expose the new battlers to 100K new people. Where on the app that only has at best 50K subscribers, you'll be lucky if 1,000 people watch a new battler's battle.

WhoShotCha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DUUVALLLL
That's BS imo, they get paid handsomely to do what they do plus are promoted heavily across a multitude of platforms (Youtube, URL Twitter, URL App, watchbattlelive/Caffeine) . The onus is on the battler's to leverage that into something greater should they wish.
I definitely agree that the onus is on the battlers, but I dont think Twitter snippets and hiphopisreal interviews is equivalent to having your actual BATTLES readily available. Ppl who are new to battle rap don't necessarily utilize all these avenues, everybody uses YouTube tho

Last edited: