Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
Lux was saying some real shyt when Fit asked about the talk that the Lux that battled Surf was beatable, etc..

And he's saying since the Calicoe battle he's had that performance following him in every other battle as a marker to reach. Whereas when the Calicoe battle happened he had freedom to do whatever he wanted because it was more of an "unknown" thing. Now he has people pulling at him from different angles wanting Lux to get back into certain modes and he tries to appease everyone.

I feel like fans for real can only be so critical of someone like Lux. If anything, he has every element of a battle rapper you want. Aside from a choke or so. And maybe a bad angle or two. His lyricism and performance hand in hand are both top notch. I get it tho...the pressure to not people down once they have you under a microscope. I guess he knew the impact of his battle against Calicoe was great but the aftermath of it following him was a bit much to live up to that expectation.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
:russ:I’m listening to Lux on the JBP. He’s talking straight to the point. None of that bullshyt talking in circles.

Considering Daylyt came off his greatest performance, this has to happen next. If Day fukks around and battles Rum next, he might get 3-0d or something.
I think he does have Nitty next

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Lux's performance vs Hollow is actually better to me than his Calicoe battle.
He needs to say fukk it and do what feels right, that’s how we got cal and hollow. He had some misses in those battles too, but they’re covered up by everything else being so dope

it’s funny because the problem he describes says that all his slogans and motivational nature is for himself more than anyone else

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its by FAR his best return game. Like I study that shyt when I get writer’s block. That shyt is a battle rap master class on bars vs angles

I think it's like one of the few last top tier megamatches that lived up to the hype. I really liked the narrative around that battle at the time., Lux was coming off the Calicoe battle and was pretty much untouchable, hollow stepped up to the plate, Lux's epic callout of Hollow on Vlad "hollow come get this medicine". And Hollow was basically the underdog at the time because of the momentum Lux had at that time.

Then they battle and have a debateable, monumental classic. Lux was able to follow up on the Cal battle with another great battle and even some quotables, hollow holds his own against Lux and makes him seem human again. Both Hollow and Lux use incredible angles on each other (hollow the drug addict/lux the overrated hypocrite) and as a result Hollow solidified himself as one of the GOATS for battling Lux at his peak and making it a debateable