Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I have a question. Who painted the picture of "we don't want to here lyrical miracles in battle rap"? Was it the fans or the actual battlers? Daylyt vs Roc, prime example of the two worlds clashing. Do people not want to hear "backpacker lyrical miracles" and will people start to appreciate more "street lyrical miracles" ex. Lux/Verb/Nitty

Will our "Smack" street rappers evolve (Roc and Tsu) after being faced with the above?

The reason I respect Surf's pen, Ave's pen, and Jackboy because they're all a blend of both concepts. True lyricist fans that are fans of Surf more than likely thought Surf was going to be just that, an elite street lyrical with a touch of miracle (:mjlol:) against Lux.

What Lux told Surf was the truth sadly. Surf dropped the ball in regards to leveling up his pen. Lux reminded us again but in actuality we saw this during the Nitty battle.

I'm ranting but I'm just trying to figure out where we're going to be at in the next 10 years. I've always been a fan of Day even through the antics, his pen has always been dangerous and I see a lot of people are not becoming aware of his lyrical ability.

Day vs Lux will be interesting because IMO they both are S tier lyricist. They both are weird in a good way which comes with a side effect. They're flows aren't clean compared to other battles IMO. Lux seems to have fine tuned his flow either by choice or not. Day still has that lisp which he can't get rid of but his flow has advanced. He had no choice but to advance his flow if he's going to hit us with over over 50 god damn ways to present an entendre, similes and metaphors.

Rant almost over but I'm thinking which style has longevity as well.
Are you just using "lyrical miracle" for anyone who raps good?

You throwing a term out that has no clear definition so your rant isnt based on anything solid

IMO lyrical miracle is when nikkas rhyme 3+ syllable words together just for the sake of doing it. Majority of KOTD battlers would do this as filler material. It's a moreso a battle rap "move" in my opinion, like rebuttaling.

I dont see rum nitty doing much of that at all tbh, seems more like an Aye Verb/Bdot/Lux kinda thing

"I got a statement that i COULD get across in 2 bars, but instead imma add 4 extra bars of rhyming cuz it sounds nice :francis:"

It's always been annoying to me

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No crowd is fire to me.

All I know is nyggas better get there bars up. COVID is not going anywhere, any time soon.

All those “pen” nyggas that feel overlooked, and all the crying they’ve done over the years, they better take advantage of this stage.

They finally have a room that benefits their skill set.

Last edited:

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Verb lost to Twork, Lux, and DNA (Mook too, but I dont got time for that argument). All of those battled were very competitive though.
Verb and Surf are amazing talkers, lol. They talk shyt and boost themselves up so much qnd so well that you forget they're both light af

TrifeGod

Chasing The Dragon
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Are you just using "lyrical miracle" for anyone who raps good?

You throwing a term out that has no clear definition so your rant isnt based on anything solid

IMO lyrical miracle is when nikkas rhyme 3+ syllable words together just for the sake of doing it. Majority of KOTD battlers would do this as filler material. It's a moreso a battle rap "move" in my opinion, like rebuttaling.

I dont see rum nitty doing much of that at all tbh, seems more like an Aye Verb/Bdot/Lux kinda thing

"I got a statement that i COULD get across in 2 bars, but instead imma add 4 extra bars of rhyming cuz it sounds nice :francis:"

It's always been annoying to me
You right I was drinking last night but since I’m sober now I would havejust said higher level lyricism

which better fits the rappers I listed

superchoops

Superstar
Daps
Mickey Factz on a podcast I listened to this morning said it perfect. Rum Nitty is a highlight reel. He's like the Shawn Kemp of battle rap. Nitty to me is like a punchline rapper (Cassidy, Big L, Banks) just probably the most advanced version we've seen of it. But he's not a lyrical miracle rapper that's gonna impress you with multi-layered syllables and a large vocabulary.

:lupe: what podcast was this? I'm always down for Mickey Factz breaking down battlers

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I go to Champion, and I see this nygga really created a Murda Mook vs Tay Roc. I think these type of blogs are silly at this point.

Listen, I think there are a lot of matchups for Mook, but I think battlers have moved on from him.

I think nyggas have directed their attention towards Lux, because he actually battles. It’s not going to be easy to land a Lux battle, but his requirements aren’t even anything outrageous. It just has to be the biggest battle possible with a nice purse.

Mook? Who the hell knows what he looks for in a battle at this point. You can’t say the money isn’t there. You can’t say the opponents aren’t there.

Who cares at this point? He may do something that doesn’t hurt his status like a 2v2 or little quarantine battle where he knew who his opponent was while his opponent didn’t (ARP confirmed in an interview), but a true 1v1 battle?

I do think he’ll battle again, but his battles have such a significant gap between them, he’ll just be rusty anyway. He also waits so long, that matches that were there are no longer interesting.