Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

TrifeGod

Chasing The Dragon
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
I have a question. Who painted the picture of "we don't want to here lyrical miracles in battle rap"? Was it the fans or the actual battlers? Daylyt vs Roc, prime example of the two worlds clashing. Do people not want to hear "backpacker lyrical miracles" and will people start to appreciate more "street lyrical miracles" ex. Lux/Verb/Nitty

Will our "Smack" street rappers evolve (Roc and Tsu) after being faced with the above?

The reason I respect Surf's pen, Ave's pen, and Jackboy because they're all a blend of both concepts. True lyricist fans that are fans of Surf more than likely thought Surf was going to be just that, an elite street lyrical with a touch of miracle (:mjlol:) against Lux.

What Lux told Surf was the truth sadly. Surf dropped the ball in regards to leveling up his pen. Lux reminded us again but in actuality we saw this during the Nitty battle.

I'm ranting but I'm just trying to figure out where we're going to be at in the next 10 years. I've always been a fan of Day even through the antics, his pen has always been dangerous and I see a lot of people are not becoming aware of his lyrical ability.

Day vs Lux will be interesting because IMO they both are S tier lyricist. They both are weird in a good way which comes with a side effect. They're flows aren't clean compared to other battles IMO. Lux seems to have fine tuned his flow either by choice or not. Day still has that lisp which he can't get rid of but his flow has advanced. He had no choice but to advance his flow if he's going to hit us with over over 50 god damn ways to present an entendre, similes and metaphors.

Rant almost over but I'm thinking which style has longevity as well.

oO J Smooth Oo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uk
For the people who are up on Daylyts battles, are there anymore of his where he showcases his ability for 3 rounds and no antics?

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For the people who are up on Daylyts battles, are there anymore of his where he showcases his ability for 3 rounds and no antics?
i dont know if youre gonna think its on the level of his roc battle but his best battles are vs chilla, clips, rich dollarz, philly swain, lotta zay. mike p , off the top of my head

noodles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Loving battles now with no huge crowd to gas them (that Old Smack/Black Star feel)..let's see where your bars are at.

Ironic the chokers are the ones with all the gas (Twork/Surf/Chess)..

Surf is particularly disappointing as if he even came with T-Top/Geechi levels he would have made this interesting..Lux just schooled him and wasted our time.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps

I always felt like he showcased it against MadChild on KOTD well. Him and Verb had a good back and forth too. When he went against Xcel, too. The other ones were already listed.

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld

Really just his Madchild/Tay Roc battles. All the other battles are just one/two rounds. His 1st vs Clips tbh mightve been better than what we got vs Tay Roc. His HEAD ICE battle is stoopid (its a one rounder though)

Last edited:

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I always felt the same way about Twork. To me he is by far the best battle rapper...always been my favorite...he just doesnt have a passion for it.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have a question. Who painted the picture of "we don't want to here lyrical miracles in battle rap"? Was it the fans or the actual battlers? Daylyt vs Roc, prime example of the two worlds clashing. Do people not want to hear "backpacker lyrical miracles" and will people start to appreciate more "street lyrical miracles" ex. Lux/Verb/Nitty

Will our "Smack" street rappers evolve (Roc and Tsu) after being faced with the above?

The reason I respect Surf's pen, Ave's pen, and Jackboy because they're all a blend of both concepts. True lyricist fans that are fans of Surf more than likely thought Surf was going to be just that, an elite street lyrical with a touch of miracle (:mjlol:) against Lux.

What Lux told Surf was the truth sadly. Surf dropped the ball in regards to leveling up his pen. Lux reminded us again but in actuality we saw this during the Nitty battle.

I'm ranting but I'm just trying to figure out where we're going to be at in the next 10 years. I've always been a fan of Day even through the antics, his pen has always been dangerous and I see a lot of people are not becoming aware of his lyrical ability.

Day vs Lux will be interesting because IMO they both are S tier lyricist. They both are weird in a good way which comes with a side effect. They're flows aren't clean compared to other battles IMO. Lux seems to have fine tuned his flow either by choice or not. Day still has that lisp which he can't get rid of but his flow has advanced. He had no choice but to advance his flow if he's going to hit us with over over 50 god damn ways to present an entendre, similes and metaphors.

Rant almost over but I'm thinking which style has longevity as well.

I don’t view Rum Nitty as lyrical miracle

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Verb is NOT washed lol

And quite honestly vegan verb on a bit of a run right now. Verb is just in that john john jc cortez space. No matter what they do fans just don't like them.

But all things considered

Verb beat bdot
Verb imo beat twork. Even if you say twork won you def can't make a case verb got killed.
Verb beat mook
Verb beat lux
Verb beat dna
Verb just beat geechie gotti. The 2x champ.

Island god on some other shyt right now frfr
Verb lost to Twork, Lux, and DNA (Mook too, but I dont got time for that argument). All of those battled were very competitive though.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I don’t view Rum Nitty as lyrical miracle

Mickey Factz on a podcast I listened to this morning said it perfect. Rum Nitty is a highlight reel. He's like the Shawn Kemp of battle rap. Nitty to me is like a punchline rapper (Cassidy, Big L, Banks) just probably the most advanced version we've seen of it. But he's not a lyrical miracle rapper that's gonna impress you with multi-layered syllables and a large vocabulary.