Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

ReasonableMatic

Daps
He basically begging for a 360 deal
the thing is he is not unknown
Thats my point URL is promoting u
Take that buzz and push ur product its basically what Hollow was saying to Clips in their battle
These dudes wanna be spoon feed and then gonna complain when they realize what they gave away
I totally get what ur sayin.
Like I mentioned, I'm sayin neither way to go about it is wrong.

Hollow is a very smart businessman.
His LOM line worked because of these factors.
  • Hollow's brand is strong enough.
  • His fan base consists of (URL,KOTD, GrindTime, Udubb, others)
  • He's Top5
  • He licensed his name
  • His businessplan was solid + a great marketingplan = inflated chance of success
  • He makes sure his LOM shirts are seen with the right names at the right times (example, Rum Nitty was wearing it vs Ave)
  • He doesn't battle a lot, so he has time to manage his brand handson unlike many other toptiers
  • He battles the RIGHT names instead of checks, not all money is good money longterm if you hurt your brand
  • He has staff
Observing Hollow throughout the years I can't do nothing but say he made all the right moves to be successful and it showed.

Another example. Let's take Lux.
he had the biggest buzz in history. But the nikka didn't capitalize off his wave as much as he could have.
He took way too long to have a website and by the time he created it he named it (www.loadedlux.co)
You spend the money and buy ".com" so you're easier to find, nobody's gonna write ".co" out of the blue to find you
Anybody with marketing background would tell you that alone ain't smart.

My thing is, you sayin "he's begging for a 360 deal" like it's a bad thing.

A lotta nikkas don't see the advantages of a 360 deal.

So lemme break that down.
If you are under the old contract ur not as interesting for a label cause they only get money off album sales.
But let's take J Cole, he is doin so well because in a 360 the label is forced to create income for you.
Yeah they get a percentage off all these things.
But with being with Roc Nation, he also gets access to Live Nation = $$$$$$$
Since they get a piece of everything, they push him cause they benefit off his succes. It's not a one-way street.

Surf recognizes the strength of the brand "URL" and knows that if he attaches himself to them in a 360 he will earn more than bein independent. That's actually being smart if you look at his situation.

A wise man knows when something ain't his field and let's OTHERS do it for him.

If you're an indecent actor (Rapper), you really gonna get all the big money off rip?
Naah, you get an agency (Roc Nation) that knows the big clients and have they contact you wouldn't be able to get. But they can cause of their reputation and relationship and THAT'S how you get in.

I don't wanna write a whole paragraph but that's how it is.

Last edited:

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps

This what I was saying about Tay Roc. He raps on a beat well and it transcends in to this era of battle rap in a good way.

Bigg K claims TODD stole some of his bars.

in other news, water is wet and Trump has terrible hair...

Bigg K had me crackin' up with that "unhand the bars" shyt. Lmao. But he right tho, I give JJDD consistency but I never thought about how he worked his way into a lot of these battles. Glad to hear how that beef got started.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Lowkey Ryda v Trez was a better battle than Chess v Saga

It all honest it was . A lot cleaner in terms of continuity of a battle. Fire rebuttals, good crowd reaction and each battler got thru their rounds a lot smoother. At times Chess and Saga had a lot of filler.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
  • Another example. Let's take Lux.
he had the biggest buzz in history. But the nikka didn't capitalize off his wave as much as he could have.
He took way too long to have a website and by the time he created it he named it (www.loadedlux.co)
You spend the money and buy ".com" so you're easier to find, nobody's gonna write ".co" out of the blue to find you
Anybody with marketing background would tell you that alone ain't smart.
"HEADSHOT" - Shotgun Suge :scust:

I like how you just casually shytted on Lux's business acumen. Lux has seemingly nickel and dimed his way out of good business situations multiple times over the years. But that one is especially hilarious because I peeped it at the time (as many others did), but I was too caught up in Lux stannery to really call him on it.

Lmao didn't Lux fire the dude that worked out the deal that got him 80k for the Hollow battle? :russ::russ:

Man if someone got me 80k for a RAP BATTLE I'd need a REALLLLLY good reason not to do business with them anymore. I can't imagine what went wrong there. Ain't no personal discrepancies or falling outs to be had, I'm going to try to find a way to keep a business relationship with that person... I might walk in your office and notice a dead rat in your trash can... and just not bring it up :hubie:. We'll just do a conference call next time....

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
you guys talk about roc being developmentally delayed, but i think lux is a savant

his rounds are complex and highly artistic but listening to him in a conversation is almost pure nothingness. savant is too harsh, actually. more delusional, as in he thinks he's got more to say than he does, but his tone belies the vapidity

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Yall do realize none of that shyt is reallya freestyle right? At least not off top. Its just like the battles. Written and rehearsed.