Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been sayin this for years. TBZ and the battle rap community as a whole treats Tay Roc like the autistic little brother that used to get picked on :mjlol:

Any slight bit of criticism or critiquing of Roc will bring out THE worst in battle rap fans. nikkaz will damn near want to fight you :heh:

nikkaz don't even cape for Lux and Mook like they do for Roc :wow:

I haven't been participating in this most recent discussion but Roc's narrative is so incredible though. He does have a little bit of the developmentally delayed thing going on, and it just makes him more relatable imo. Imo he comes across as a shorty shytstain type of cat who had more drive than everyone around him, and really made something of himself. He's a success story. He's very entertaining, live and on footage.

EDIT - The rest of this reply doesn't have anything to do with Tay Roc specifically, it's just in response to other posts I've seen recently.

We are from different places, in different stages of life. When I hear people try to make an association between IQ and preference of rapper, I automatically assume they are younger than me. I used to think more complicated material was automatically better in my younger years, but now I have a real job, a family to take care of, and real stress. I'm all about the feeling now, I have plenty other ways to challenge my mind besides battle rap lyrics.

I don't even get mad when y'all diss people I like, because even if we see the same thing, I know it might give me a completely different feeling than others. For example, someone said that when Ness raps, he hears the "Special Delivery" beat in his head. I can see that. But the "Special Delivery" beat always puts me in a good mood. It's not overly complicated, it didn't take a whole day to construct, but it gives me good feelings every time. Same with E Ness as a battle rapper.

Some things have a regional appeal that might not translate. I know people like Queenzflip. Being from NYC, I've been around people like that in every stage of life. I get why he can be irritating, but I do find his antics entertaining.
Chess is from the South Bronx, which is one of the poorest places in THE WHOLE DAMN COUNTRY. It's up there with Detroit, if not worse. I can automatically assume he has asthma, food allergies, possibly ADD, etc. So yeah his struggle bars hit a lot harder to me, I'm from the hood but that South Bronx shyt is a different level of struggle. I cringe at the thought of growing up there.

Last edited:

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm glad Chilla adjusted with the times and worked on his projection and energy :manny:

Chilla had a run where he was really dope. I think it started around the Blackheart Adonis battle, and possibly ended with the Prep battle. He was pretty good vs Danny, Saga, and Quantum Physics, but he wasn't turned all the way up for any of those three. It's been downhill since then.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven't been participating in this most recent discussion but Roc's narrative is so incredible though. He does have a little bit of the developmentally delayed thing going on, and it just makes him more relatable imo. Imo he comes across as a shorty shytstain type of cat who had more drive than everyone around him, and really made something of himself. He's a success story. He's very entertaining, live and on footage.

We are from different places, in different stages of life. When I hear people try to make an association between IQ and preference of rapper, I automatically assume they are younger than me. I used to think more complicated material was automatically better in my younger years, but now I have a real job, a family to take care of, and real stress. I'm all about the feeling now, I have plenty other ways to challenge my mind besides battle rap lyrics.

What kind of high horse shyt is this?:dahell:

We're lil nikkas to you for not liking Roc? That sounds pretentious as hell. You "have a real job" :rudy:

I don't even get mad when y'all diss people I like, because even if we see the same thing, I know it might give me a completely different feeling than others. For example, someone said that when Ness raps, he hears the "Special Delivery" beat in his head. I can see that. But the "Special Delivery" beat always puts me in a good mood. It's not overly complicated, it didn't take a whole day to construct, but it gives me good feelings every time. Same with E Ness as a battle rapper.

Some things have a regional appeal that might not translate. I know people like Queenzflip. Being from NYC, I've been around people like that in every stage of life. I get why he can be irritating, but I do find his antics entertaining.
Chess is from the South Bronx, which is one of the poorest places in THE WHOLE DAMN COUNTRY. It's up there with Detroit, if not worse. I can automatically assume he has asthma, food allergies, possibly ADD, etc. So yeah his struggle bars hit a lot harder to me, I'm from the hood but that South Bronx shyt is a different level of struggle. I cringe at the thought of growing up there.

:what: You're going places this convo doesn't need to go in. The South Bronx has nothing to do with this and just for reference I used to be out there often.

We know the difference between JC and Tech 9. What's so offensive about saying Roc doesn't have bars like some of his peers? It ain't that serious. Some of us like the small room over the big stage, or we just like to hear lines up to a certain standard. No need to psycho analyze things.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What kind of high horse shyt is this?:dahell:

We're lil nikkas to you for not liking Roc? That sounds pretentious as hell. You "have a real job" :rudy:

:what: You're going places this convo doesn't need to go in. The South Bronx has nothing to do with this and just for reference I used to be out there often.

We know the difference between JC and Tech 9. What's so offensive about saying Roc doesn't have bars like some of his peers? It ain't that serious. Some of us like the small room over the big stage, or we just like to hear lines up to a certain standard. No need to psycho analyze things.

Hit dogs holler. Look at what I said exactly, it's very specific. "When I hear people try to make an association between IQ and preference of rapper, I automatically assume they are younger than me" Now the question is, does that apply to you? Are YOU one of those people who tries to make an association between IQ level and preference of rapper? Then yeah, you might need to read more books, get a better job, take some AP classes, etc. Cut that shyt out. Battle rap is entertainment. I'm not relying on any of these dudes to educate or enlighten me. But if they can do it in an interesting way, then great. I didn't say it's WRONG to like more complex material.

The rest of the reply had to do with some other posts that I've seen on the boards lately. I just threw it all into one post.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
I've been sayin this for years. TBZ and the battle rap community as a whole treats Tay Roc like the autistic little brother that used to get picked on :mjlol:

Any slight bit of criticism or critiquing of Roc will bring out THE worst in battle rap fans. nikkaz will damn near want to fight you :heh:

nikkaz don't even cape for Lux and Mook like they do for Roc :wow:

I get why someone can't see the appeal of Tay Roc tho. He doesn't give certain fans everything as a battle rapper either. Like he has performance and projection more so point. His bars are cool but they don't always land. The way he says a good portion of them....nice. But he'll have something like that DNA NY line and you're like 'what?". I don't deny the progress he's made. He earned his spot and stayed consistent.

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk what you're all talking about. I like Roc because he actually BATTLES his opponent. He disrespects them, violates their space, uses aggressive bars, and does all the little shyt between rounds to fukk with them and throw them off.

Bruh, Roc made DNA stand there with his back turned to the crowd as he spit a whole round :wow:

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
fukk what you're all talking about. I like Roc because he actually BATTLES his opponent. He disrespects them, violates their space, uses aggressive bars, and does all the little shyt between rounds to fukk with them and throw them off.

Bruh, Roc made DNA stand there with his back turned to the crowd as he spit a whole round :wow:

:whoa:

Easy killa. All I'm saying is Roc is no different any other battle rapper that has a weakness here or there. Not a bad thing but I get it.

dutchie

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs i used this analogy before but it sums up Roc perfectly for me. When i feel like watching an over the top action movie with a basic story line and 90 min of entertainment I'll watch Die Hard 1 2 3. Thats whats Roc is to me. I dont watch Die hard when in the mood for a more intriguing storyline just as I dont look for bars when I watch a Roc battle. I watch Roc for that gully in your face ignorant type of battle rap. And if ur looking for anything else from Roc its on you brehs

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Battle Rap missed its Window to REALLY cash out.... It's funny to hear them talk about how it should be structured now lol. Been saying that for YEARS. I have no idea why URL wasn't doing that EARLY. Boggles my mind
Smack doesn't seem that business savvy lol. That nikka just seem like a street nikka that makes his little bread and gets out the way.