Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

MicIsGod

They like what that mean
Daps
Reppin
Atl
Watchin saga and chess again..I can see the shine vs chess steam building up again. They're so similar. The 2on2s were awhile ago so I wouldn't mind seeing it now.

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Battle Rap missed its Window to REALLY cash out.... It's funny to hear them talk about how it should be structured now lol. Been saying that for YEARS. I have no idea why URL wasn't doing that EARLY. Boggles my mind
he speaking nonsense why as an artist would u not wanna be free
all the shyt he talking bout he could do for himself
he doesnt have and merch that I see him promote
why not do for self and not have to give URL a cut

ReasonableMatic

Daps
he speaking nonsense why as an artist would u not wanna be free
all the shyt he talking bout he could do for himself
he doesnt have and merch that I see him promote
why not do for self and not have to give URL a cut
I know this is HipHop and all that. And being independent sounds cool in the culture but it doesn't work like that 90% of the time.

Be a unknown nikka and drop a battle right now and see how many views it does.
If you drop the same battle on URL it'll do better numbers, that's a fact.

If you attach your brand to a bigger entity it'll sell more because you automatically gain a part of their clientele.

Would you rather sell 1000 shirts 10 a pop bein independent with a lotta work.
Or 10.000 at 10 a pop - 20% = 80.000 Easy off the strength of being attached
to a bigger brand with a bigger clientele

You can do it both ways, but it's a difference..

Last edited:

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Why must I wait for battles? LEt me pay for content smh. :mindblown:
:francis:C'mon now, you know they'll be a ton bootlegs flying about. The bootleg Lux v Hollow did 1m views on YouTube in <24hrs.

I do think he should do more PPVs has he'll make more money from those than monetising on YT. Don't see how it makes sense for Don't Flop & KOTD but not Smack

Last edited:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I know this is HipHop and all that. And being independent sounds cool in the culture but it doesn't work like that 90% of the time.

If you attach your brand to a bigger entity it'll sell more because you automatically gain a part of their clientele.

Exactly. If you're looking for the most cash and most fame and less risk, you've gotta give up all control, and work underneath somebody else's brand.

If you want to be independent, you'll get ALL of the control, but you'll also get all of the risk and responsibility, and most likely you won't see anywhere near the same reward (almost certainly you won't see it in the short term), though there is potential for unlimited reward in that scenario.

That's not just battle rap or hip-hop or music, that's all business in general.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
Exactly. If you're looking for the most cash and most fame and less risk, you've gotta give up all control, and work underneath somebody else's brand.

If you want to be independent, you'll get ALL of the control, but you'll also get all of the risk and responsibility, and most likely you won't see anywhere near the same reward (almost certainly you won't see it in the short term), though there is potential for unlimited reward in that scenario.

Word.. I have a background in international business so that was me breaking that down in a simply way so nikkas understand.
A lotta fans and nikkas in this game simply go off what sounds cool instead of reality.
Something I observed

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

He basically begging for a 360 deal
the thing is he is not unknown
Thats my point URL is promoting u
Take that buzz and push ur product its basically what Hollow was saying to Clips in their battle
These dudes wanna be spoon feed and then gonna complain when they realize what they gave away

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

the thing is URL is not that big in the grand scheme of things
don't even have a million youtube subscribers
its not like their a major label
Being totally independent would be them running their own league which they are not doing
SMACK cutting them a check

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the thing is URL is not that big in the grand scheme of things
don't even have a million youtube subscribers
its not like their a major label
Being totally independent would be them running their own league which they are not doing
SMACK cutting them a check
In the grand scheme of what though? YouTube in general?

In the grand scheme of battle rap itself, URL is THE BIGGEST. They have the biggest platform for a battler to use.

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
In the grand scheme of what though? YouTube in general?

In the grand scheme of battle rap itself, URL is THE BIGGEST. They have the biggest platform for a battler to use.
In battle rap of course
but youtube and entertainment they barely exist

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps

Surf, as overrated as I feel he is in battle rap, I agree with him on alot of this. Been said it was everyone's fault. Day sounds like he is salty with AFM though for calling him out after he did SMACK URL dirty on NOME 6. I do hope we all in battle rap get it together. Battlers stop trippin', fans stop getting to reckless with the leagues and battlers when they communicate with them, bloggers see their faults in it, and league owners taking responsibility for their fukk ups.