Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
That's because battling is the last platform where you CAN be lyrical, and have sustained success. It has replaced the "underground rap" scene.
They can't sell records rapping like they do in battles, they'd just be another dated sounding underground artist.

Charlie Clips, Bigg K, Cortez, Math Hoffa, Head Ice.... all these guys can make good music, but if you took all their joints and mixed them with tunes from 2000-2005, they wouldn't sound out of place. Rain isn't a battler, but his music is kinda dated too. I liked a lot of Big T's Appetizer mixtape, but again that was 2010 and his sound was dated by mainstream standards. Tay Roc, Rich Dolarz... their best song offerings are dated sounding.

Then you turn on a Shotgun Suge song and you think "WTF, is this the same guy?". But his music is popping more than all the battlers I just named.

Random, but not so random. Goodz makes consistently bad music. Not sure if I've ever enjoyed a Goodz song. It's bizarre, you'd think he'd have his own sound.
Joey Bada$$ music up until just recently sounded dated..its a damn shame when actually being nice on the mic is sounding dated..Tbh tho i haven't listened to some of the battlers you just named music..I heard some of B Magic stuff & it was some trap shyt..Heard some of Hollow's & it was terrible..Lux has some joints I like..I really don't like Surf as a battler but his music is decent..Suge is decent too..he had a record with Styles that I liked..I heard some club record Cortez made a little while ago that was terrible
I'm not saying they should be rapping like Immortal Technique but rapping like popular mainstream rapper A,B & C isn't gonna help either

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
And there is a market for lyricists to have a fanbase,do shows & release music
I just think some of these battlers need a & r's, producers & executive producers like the 90's to show them guidance on how to make records but still be lyrical..Biggie Smalls wouldn't of been who he was without Puff's guidance..Em wouldn't be who he was without Dre..A lot of our favorite rappers from that era were from the battle world so it's no excuse..Some of these battlers have the ability to be real nice they just need musical guidance & not dumb their shyt all the way down

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
That's because battling is the last platform where you CAN be lyrical, and have sustained success. It has replaced the "underground rap" scene.
They can't sell records rapping like they do in battles, they'd just be another dated sounding underground artist.

Charlie Clips, Bigg K, Cortez, Math Hoffa, Head Ice.... all these guys can make good music, but if you took all their joints and mixed them with tunes from 2000-2005, they wouldn't sound out of place. Rain isn't a battler, but his music is kinda dated too. I liked a lot of Big T's Appetizer mixtape, but again that was 2010 and his sound was dated by mainstream standards. Tay Roc, Rich Dolarz... their best song offerings are dated sounding.

Then you turn on a Shotgun Suge song and you think "WTF, is this the same guy?". But his music is popping more than all the battlers I just named.

Random, but not so random. Goodz makes consistently bad music. Not sure if I've ever enjoyed a Goodz song. It's bizarre, you'd think he'd have his own sound.

I think Hollow "whippin that Yola, ova and ova and ova" is a rap low on many levels :francis:

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And there is a market for lyricists to have a fanbase,do shows & release music
I just think some of these battlers need a & r's, producers & executive producers like the 90's to show them guidance on how to make records but still be lyrical..Biggie Smalls wouldn't of been who he was without Puff's guidance..Em wouldn't be who he was without Dre..A lot of our favorite rappers from that era were from the battle world so it's no excuse..Some of these battlers have the ability to be real nice they just need musical guidance & not dumb their shyt all the way down

The market for these types of rappers is insanely small compared to the vinyl indie era, and the industry doesn't have that type of guidance built into it's infrastructure anymore. Quite a few of these battle rap stars stopped battling 6-8 years ago to focus exclusively on music... then eventually came back.
Labels have no interest in assessing your talent level, it's all metrics now. Radio spins, Youtube views, Instagram & Twitter followers, mixtape downloads, the amount of people that go to your shows, etc.

Trust, I know a grip of secretly depressed, 30 something year old talented rappers. Until you've done the open mic scenes, you don't have a real idea of how many "talented" rappers are out there that the masses will NEVER hear from. Many of them believed in the '90s formulas that you spoke of, and foolishly believed that those type of looks still existed 10-15 years later.

And were not even talking about what it take to promote yourself effectively. So many battle rap fans find Surf & Mook's behavior to be off putting. But these guys have done the best job of promoting themselves. Most people aren't willing to go to those lengths.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
So Hoffa made a song addressing Hollow
The verses were decent, but I don't think they were worth putting out
Why can't rappers recognize a hook is wack when they're workin on a song :snoop:

Talk that disgruntled thug shyt :dead:

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
The market for these types of rappers is insanely small compared to the vinyl indie era, and the industry doesn't have that type of guidance built into it's infrastructure anymore. Quite a few of these battle rap stars stopped battling 6-8 years ago to focus exclusively on music... then eventually came back.
Labels have no interest in assessing your talent level, it's all metrics now. Radio spins, Youtube views, Instagram & Twitter followers, mixtape downloads, the amount of people that go to your shows, etc.

Trust, I know a grip of secretly depressed, 30 something year old talented rappers. Until you've done the open mic scenes, you don't have a real idea of how many "talented" rappers are out there that the masses will NEVER hear from. Many of them believed in the '90s formulas that you spoke of, and foolishly believed that those type of looks still existed 10-15 years later.

And were not even talking about what it take to promote yourself effectively. So many battle rap fans find Surf & Mook's behavior to be off putting. But these guys have done the best job of promoting themselves. Most people aren't willing to go to those lengths.
I'm not saying rely on the labels tho..fukk the labels..you don't need them anymore..you have to get on ya indie grind..plenty of my fav rappers who are lyricists aren't relying on major labels & still do shows..I understand how the mainstream is now & I know the audience is way different but I refuse to believe that nobody at all wants to hear niccas that's nice at putting words together..Lyricists still sell the most records..Hov,Nas,J Cole, Kendrick & even Logic does good numbers & I don't even like him..Don't get me wrong I know it takes much more than being nice to get that type of mainstream success but it's not impossible..especially to get shows & eat on the underground..Look at Curren$y..You can't aim at the top of the Billboard just because you can put a 16 together but you can still eat on the underground & make moves

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
And the underground is way diff nowadays due to the internet..underground used to be unknown but it's plenty of underground rappers who are semi popular

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
Surf shyts on bloggers for not supporting battler's music and Wild N Out appearances... so what does this political fakkit Jayblac immediately do in his next blog?

(First 2 min)

:salute:

I told nikkas jayblac is a dikkriding fakkit. Freshaig in blogger form.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why can't rappers recognize a hook is wack when they're workin on a song :snoop:

Lmao at this hug a thug sensual shyt. C'mon guy. All of this could have been avoided if you showed up to the Saurus battle and Hollow heard the first shot you took at him live in the building. Now Math is killing whatever hype that the Unbias vid has created.

Does he play these tracks for his peoples before he puts them out? Is he just a difficult person to give critical feedback to? I'd imagine so. Cortez and them nyggas (or maybe it's just Cortez at this point) sitting there, nodding their heads to Math's prison love anthem. I hope they talk about this on Angryfan, too much comedy.

Math 0 for 3 with battle rapper diss tracks. And none of these songs are wack lyrically, but everything else besides the lyrics are wack.

EDIT - HE'S 0 for 4. I totally forgot about "Kill Calicoe" This one is the best of the bunch though, if you want to say he's 1 for 4 I'll take it.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK

Song is dope though

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The amount of Donald Trump bars at Nome 6 :scust:
I'm more mad at Clips on the card than Trump being president. No one has to be skilled anymore in America. I won't even repost this in other areas of the forum. If there is one thing you learn from what Trump did it should be that. If you can sell the dream you can have the dream.