Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
Only time I really think Jayblac was full of shyt was when he tried to play Danny Myers and he roasted him with some throwaway bars. This bigging up of Clips on WIld N Out is whatever.....obvious response to Surf but after a while, I'm pretty sure his fans will give him backlash for doing it ALL the time.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
I gotta give it up to Minnesota Luke. Dude sounds very creepy but he does his homework.

I remember getting into Grind Time since I fukked with the Scribble Jam, Blaze Battles, and etc. I was into SMACK DVDs a little bit but not much. I missed the hype with Jump Off and heard somewhat about LionzDen and Fight Klub. But when Arsonal and Okwerdz battle, I was into it. Partially because I had met Okwerdz years ago and he was on his shyt. And was surprised to see his battle with Arsonal was getting that kind of hype. Ended up going back thru and watching a bunch of GT battles. And somehow I came across the SMACK channel as like yo the dude with the DVDs. Lol.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Math probably didn't have enough dirt to take down "Hoody Lux".

But post "Lionz Den" Lux? There's enough info there for him to present Lux as a hypocrite & snake oil salesman.
That couldn't beat Lux though. I don't think you beat guys with personals that EVERYBODY already knows about (and have also already been used) unless you're incredibly creative with it and the guy falters. Unless you mean pre-Total Slaughter or something, and even then I don't think Math exactly has the ability to do what Mook did.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That couldn't beat Lux though. I don't think you beat guys with personals that EVERYBODY already knows about (and have also already been used) unless you're incredibly creative with it and the guy falters. Unless you mean pre-Total Slaughter or something, and even then I don't think Math exactly has the ability to do what Mook did.

I don't think most fans really know the extent of Lux's fukkery. Math's voice and projection don't match up to Mook's, but his storytelling ability gives him a chance. We heard the same story O-Red story told by 3 battlers, and it was entertaining each time.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't think most fans really know the extent of Lux's fukkery. Math's voice and projection don't match up to Mook's, but his storytelling ability gives him a chance. We heard the same story O-Red story told by 3 battlers, and it was entertaining each time.
Even though UW has a similar crowd it's unfortunate we didn't get to hear about the Lux fukkery in front of a URL crowd.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even though UW has a similar crowd it's unfortunate we didn't get to hear about the Lux fukkery in front of a URL crowd.

Honestly I don't think Hollow even knew the extent. He was doing Jumpoff, Grindtime & Fight Klub, etc. I don't think I ever saw him in any Lionz Den or Smack DVD era footage. All those old "Blue Collar Television" & "King of the Ring" battles, I never saw him in the footage. Not sure if he was even at the first Smack event. We didn't see him in the mix of all the gritty shyt until he battled Big T.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't understand how battlers can be so lyrical in battles but make music & dumb their shyt down to sound like 95% of the mainstream artists

That's because battling is the last platform where you CAN be lyrical, and have sustained success. It has replaced the "underground rap" scene.
They can't sell records rapping like they do in battles, they'd just be another dated sounding underground artist.

Charlie Clips, Bigg K, Cortez, Math Hoffa, Head Ice.... all these guys can make good music, but if you took all their joints and mixed them with tunes from 2000-2005, they wouldn't sound out of place. Rain isn't a battler, but his music is kinda dated too. I liked a lot of Big T's Appetizer mixtape, but again that was 2010 and his sound was dated by mainstream standards. Tay Roc, Rich Dolarz... their best song offerings are dated sounding.

Then you turn on a Shotgun Suge song and you think "WTF, is this the same guy?". But his music is popping more than all the battlers I just named.

Random, but not so random. Goodz makes consistently bad music. Not sure if I've ever enjoyed a Goodz song. It's bizarre, you'd think he'd have his own sound.