Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How would u rate this year of battle rap

1-10

Double Impact was fun, KOTD had some good cards/ battles

Other than that... it was mostly just noise/ letdowns/ nothing.

The supposed mega card at MSG evaporated into thin air. Summer Madness getting cancelled was NOT a good look. Bloggers arguing with battle rappers all day instead of actual promo. Lots of hot air and ducking.

It's just not particularly enjoyable to follow the "sport" or root for your favorites any more. Everything is political and money driven and tends to fall through or be disappointing.

If you would have told me in 2013 how lackadaisical battle rap would be in 2016, I would have called you a liar. Sh1t had so much potential but the last two years have been subpar.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Banks top 5
14925653_10202148952522788_7151899761574845701_n.jpg
Good list

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How would u rate this year of battle rap

1-10
Probably a 2. Summer Madness not happening was a big loss to me, even if you wanna assume none of the battles would be classics or dope. None of the battles this year really been replay worthy to me; even the Nitty ones I don't double back to. Surf's fukk ups are probably clouding my judgment as well, since him vs. Rex is something I've looked forward to for years, and him vs. Suge also was interesting to me. I can't think of any of the traditional top tiers that did anything this year - no Lux, no Mook, no Hitman, Verb getting smacked up by the Henny Man, Clips just continues to fall into the abyss, Surf is well documented, Hollow and Pat Stay was a waste of everyone's time, Dizaster might as well retired, Hoffa came back on URL and embarrassed himself. And none of the newer guys have really caught on with me personally.

The other issue is a lot of stuff that got pumped up going into the year that I was actually hype about never happened. That huge card at MSG, nothing. Surf vs. Mook, Lux vs. Verb, Hitman vs. Suge, Hollow vs. Mook. Nada.

Tay Roc and Nitty have been shining lights though.

noodles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Battle rap on its last legs...God forbid someone like a Lyor was to throw a battle rap card...amount of "top-tiers" who'd come running out the woodworks whoring themselves..

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
battle rap got a well needed reality check this year if we bein honest, a lot of delusional league owners and battlers got humbled publicly and now the bullshyt they been feeding us is gonna be moot for 2017, fans have too many valid rebuttals for em

*lux voice* nikkas gon have to really RAP now :ufdup:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
shyt actually this was a really good year for mid tiers, now that the top tier nikkas gettin pushed out all these mid level guys are getting called back to smack, and they hungry

PG vs Mid tiers for 2017 gonna be lit, hopefully dudes like ored/danny/yk/jc take advantage and show up tryna catch bodybags all year

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
I give battle rap an 8. There have been so many personal classics and dope battles to me. A lot of cats have too many high expectations for these "top tiers" I have little to no expectations from those nikkaz. That's why at this point I've given more light and credit to PG's and mid tiers. Those are the hungry dudes putting out good to great content.

Sadly battle rap is turning into the music industry (politics wise) Some cats only wana see top tiers battle and rarely give small leagues or lesser known battlers credit. :snoop: