Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
So you're saying basically you have to have "less lyrical ability" to be considered "street"?

Read my post above. It's about INTENT. Street battlers, to me, are guys thats intent is to out street you in their battles. They are trying to prove they're tougher than you/been through more/are more authentic. It's not just about rapping about it, it's their main angle to beat you in nearly every battle. Look at Calicoe battles, he's always talking about how he really moves drugs and his opponent doesn't and tries to get descriptive as possible. Surf is always talking about really hearing voices of the mothers of people he put in work in against, Math is always talking about his life is realer than everyone elses. That's their MAIN angles when they battle nearly every single time.

Verb angle is never to prove he's MORE street. He talks about street shyt and what he's been through, but when he does it it's more of "You ain't special, we all been through street shyt before" type of angle. Not a "I'm really a gangster and you're not". Verb's varies by battle, but his main thing he's trying to out rap your first and foremost.

Delicious

The D is for Delicious
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland/Brooklyn
Y'all still confusing street person with street battler. This concept shouldn't be hard to grasp

Street battler - A Battler who's intent is to prove they're more street than you to win the battle. Rex, Cal, Surf, Hitman, Roc, Math, Ill Will, Qleen all rely on talking that authentic street shyt and making you feel like you softer tan them.

Lyrical battlers with angles: Verb, Mook, Lux, Hollow, these are guys that rap about street shyt but they are more into proving they're more lyrically superior and breaking you down piece by piece. They don't try to come off as tougher than you, but they'll have bars trying to dispel your toughness.

Bar guys with gun lines: Chilla, JC, Danja, Danny, YK, Rum Nitty, Magic - These guys are just trying to be as witty as possible, but they're just using gun bars to do it mostly. They're not trying to "out tough" you, they're all trying to out bar you. Their content is just about shooting and shyt but they're not "street" rappers.

I just caught up on this convo. Seems like an easy distinction for most battlers, though I would but Verb on the fringe of street/lyrical. He's capable of both and seems to carry the cred. It was a while back, but he did about 2 rounds of real-talk on Hitman and a little bit on Goodz that put him at least partially in that street category.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I just caught up on this convo. Seems like an easy distinction for most, though I would but Verb on the fringe of street/lyrical. He's capable of both and seems to carry the cred. It was a while back, but he did about 2 rounds of real-talk on Hitman and a little bit on Goodz that put him at least partially in that street category.

I guess Verb could be a fringe guy but he's definitely got more battles where he's trying to out rap his opponent and take a strategic angle on them.

The others in the street category are ALWAYS rapping about how much tougher they are than their opponent, as the foundation of their bars, for all three rounds

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
It's crazy

The idea of a DMV didn't exist but 15 years ago, if you were from the hardest hood in Maryland you were still country or suburban to people in DC (technically true :ehh: )

Virginia is still like look at the same way

And BMore was NEVER part of the equation, the two areas hated each other, to see guys from bmore say DMV is mind blowing shyt to someone my age

But if that + tay roc rising to the top off screams, puns, and guns means url events will hit the area, I'm not mad

I hope Henny Man gets a spot :troll:

I mean, years ago, it was some talk of the DMV area but not much. I can't speak for the areas in MD and VA much but I know DC is so transient just musically by itself that there was no focus on the DMV as a whole like that. The battle scene was like any of the freestyle battles where you basically battle a bunch of people in one day as the rounds go. But it was never like how it is with the leagues because just threw events and left it at that. If you were on the outskirts of DC in places like Suitland, Forestville, Arlington, and etc., you more than likely came thru DC for some shyt. But if you're in Bmore, Frederick, and maybe Columbia not really. Or if you're closer to Richmond, Norfolk, and VA Beach.....not really. Its cool to see them rep it like that but yeah, it was a different story back in the day.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jeezus christ. If you were to ask Verb to do a whole battle where he only used physical threats and hood shyt, he would say "That's dumb, why would I limit myself like that".
But there are multiple top tiers who do that. Those are the STREET battlers.

Caps asked Verb why he should get a Mount Rushmore spot over Clips, he said because Clips is too predictable, he's a 4 bar setup puncher. So that means Charlie is a PUNCHLINE rapper. Verb hangs his hat on being more creative with his pen. People like that are called LYRICISTS.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
I guess Verb could be a fringe guy but he's definitely got more battles where he's trying to out rap his opponent and take a strategic angle on them.

The others in the street category are ALWAYS rapping about how much tougher they are than their opponent, as the foundation of their bars, for all three rounds

I see where the confusion has started.

With Street battler you meant plan of attack.
Now, you using Mike P as an example made it seem like you meant Nerd persona.
Verb doesn't have any of that so that
That's where the two different views on "Streetbattler" out here started.

With that being said.
When it comes to plan of attack/skillset, verb is a hybrid of lyricism and street content.
Just like how (Hoodie)Lux WAS a hybrid of street content and lyricism.

Y'all still confusing street person with street battler. This concept shouldn't be hard to grasp

Street battler: A Battler who's intent is to prove they're more street than you to win the battle. Rex, Cal, Surf, Hitman, Roc, Math, Ill Will, Qleen all rely on talking that authentic street shyt and making you feel like you softer than them and aren't real.

Lyrical battlers with angles: Verb, Mook, Lux, Hollow, these are guys that rap about street shyt but they are more into proving they're more lyrically superior and breaking you down piece by piece. They don't try to come off as tougher than you, but they'll have bars trying to dispel your toughness.

Bar guys with gun lines: Chilla, JC, Danja, Danny, YK, Rum Nitty, Magic - These guys are just trying to be as witty as possible, but they're just using gun bars to do it mostly. They're not trying to "out tough" you, they're all trying to out bar you. Their content is just about shooting and shyt but they're not "street" rappers.

Let's take the new class for example.

T Top is in that Street lane
Mike P is in that Lyricists lane.
Ave is a hybrid in that lane of Hoodie Lux / Verb (Street/Lyricist)
Prep is in that Bar lane

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the NOME 6 trailer was supposed to drop monday :beli:

schedule is..PG event November 6th, then NOME 6 then BL4

ReasonableMatic

Daps
14632912_1262854717121416_5723883864365972413_n.jpg

If I gotta ride or sumn
Al black disguise or sumn
Poland Spring, Dasani, Evian or sumn
You gon need Floaty's raincoat a lifeguard or sumn
Whitney Houston, you gon drown for nuffin
- Savage in Unbias

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
I mean, years ago, it was some talk of the DMV area but not much. I can't speak for the areas in MD and VA much but I know DC is so transient just musically by itself that there was no focus on the DMV as a whole like that. The battle scene was like any of the freestyle battles where you basically battle a bunch of people in one day as the rounds go. But it was never like how it is with the leagues because just threw events and left it at that. If you were on the outskirts of DC in places like Suitland, Forestville, Arlington, and etc., you more than likely came thru DC for some shyt. But if you're in Bmore, Frederick, and maybe Columbia not really. Or if you're closer to Richmond, Norfolk, and VA Beach.....not really. Its cool to see them rep it like that but yeah, it was a different story back in the day.

In my mind if a gogo band never came to your town you're not dmv

JY and back would be in Richmond for DC college students at local schools at best

But now we're getting into local shyt. Roc would be a legend in the area if he really got things moving here for battlers. Willing to let anyone call themselves whatever they want if that's the price

dappadonna

'OOOOOHHHH DOOOONNNAA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
North London
"I ain't come to swag on Ars
I came to put an inf ray on Ray
and knock Swag on Ars"

"After this , don't try and be by me
unless you rolling all my blunts in the V.I.P
cops pull me over and they wanna see ID