Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

dutchie

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's pretty much it. He's using "street battler" strictly as a battle rap style, and you're saying "If you say that, wouldn't that imply Verb is less of a street nygga than Rex?"

Nah breh im talking about same thing "street style battler" and not a street nikka in general. thats a whole different discussion itself.

To me saying rex cal roc are street battlers and Verb Hitman etc are not is wrong.
I can see where he's coming from though rex etc have more of that ignorant gully content.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I get what you're trying to say. Rex constantly makes this distinction between himself and Mook. He's not saying Mook's not from the hood. He's not saying Mook never battled on the streets. It's a specific style.
If your only angle in battles is "Nyggas like you couldn't thrive, or even survive the ups & downs of my environment" then you'd be considered a "street battler". Just like Head Ice would be considered a "street battler", but Lux wouldn't be.
THANK YOU! I feel like this is obvious but people are just being combative for no reason.

Mike P raps about guns. He's not a street battler. Like everybody raps about street shyt, but there's rappers that are known for their content and others are known for other things. It doesn't mean Verb isn't a street PERSON but he's not a street battler. I guarantee Verb wouldn't even classify himself as a street battler. He's in the lyrical/angle realm. He's a Lux type.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hollow fans will argue you down to the death to exempt Hollow from having a clear loss. They try to frame every Hollow round he doesn't clearly win as a debatable.
BRO Hollow fans are NUTS. Verb killed him both rounds. They try to act like the second round is debatable when Verb's second is better than his first. lmao

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the whole thing about Hollow/Roc is that Hollow has so many mediocre performances, what makes you think Roc can't beat him? It's like Roc is dismissed, but yet Hollow is going around battling clips, buddens, & Pat Stay and having shytty performances.

If we are basing this off their recent performances, I have Roc winning comfortably. I've been calling for this battle for over a year. It's a top tier style clash that can turn out to be really interesting. The thing Roc has going for him is he's not gonna try to have a chess match with this nygga. He's gonna come in there with some gun bars and he's not gonna fukk around.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Nah breh im talking about same thing "street style battler" and not a street nikka in general. thats a whole different discussion itself.

To me saying rex cal roc are street battlers and Verb Hitman etc are not is wrong.
I can see where he's coming from though rex etc have more of that ignorant gully content.

Bingo. How the fukk is Rex, Cal and Roc street battlers but Hitman and Verb not :mjlol:

I can see if someone said Con, JJDD, DNA, X factor aren't street battle rappers, I would agree.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
It was a sin to some of those guys back then though. Most fans believed he was coming up with all of his material on the spot. Dudes like Nocando used to live or die off 100% on the spot rhymes.

Oh no doubt, I remember how people felt about it. And I battled completely off the top for a while. But lets say, you see your opponent has a certain pair of shoes. You can come up with some shyt off the top OR expand on it with an idea or two beforehand. Its really observation and putting the words together a bit more slowly than just a freestyle.

I wish more people knew more of the shyt to freestyling that goes into it. I mean, we had meanings for all kinds of shyt for it. "Crutches" were words you kept repeating. You ran down the alphabet to work out thoughts in your head. shyt, muthafukkas would freestyle debate topics. All that kinda shyt can make you better at it but nikkas are so lazy recycling the same verses in cyphers that they don't expand to that level.

ReasonableMatic

Daps

Basically all of the nikkas we saw in the Lionz Den era were streetnikkas
The only nikka that could be seen as an exception in that era was Rich Dolarz

How is that up for discussion in 2016 :wtf:

Verb went to NY to battle Head Ice who Goodz even feared to battle in his hood.
Imagine him spittin this shyt to ICE right then and there IN NEW YORK

If your gorillas spent one day with us, trapped in a cage with us.
They'd come back tamed as fukk, dangerous as chained up pups.
I let that thing go buck 'til my wrist sprained and my finger cut.
Your hostile crowd don't mean a thing to us.
It aint strange if I hit that angel dust, get my anger up..
Turn Juggernaut, his frame gets crushed.
Shots point blank range, BANG he's fukked.
His soul flyin', I'm still firin'... Even his guardian angels duck!

Coming up the OGs use to talk to me
Loud nikkas was soft and weak
Gangstas had the softest speech
Soon as you get off a "P" you become a target, see?
It's better to be smart than street

How is Verb not a streetnikka spitting street content? HOW?
Let's not act like Verb is Dizaster or Mike P with that fo-fo surprisingly low shyt,
This is VERB we talkin bout

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
lmao I always laughed at Prep's whole "DMV Boys" shoutout. Who are those people? I think they asked Danja if he was affiliated at some point, and he was like "What? Who?" *Keith Murray voice* "Them nyggas is unlisted".

I'm hyped to see JC vs QP, but it's a little sketchy to drop it on the heels of Big T v Danja Zone being released. Danja Zone is Cartel, so as good as Big T was, that 3-0 was a bad look for the brand. I'm assuming this means Quantum held his own vs JC :leon: , because Quantum is Cartel also.
It's crazy

The idea of a DMV didn't exist but 15 years ago, if you were from the hardest hood in Maryland you were still country or suburban to people in DC (technically true :ehh: )

Virginia is still like look at the same way

And BMore was NEVER part of the equation, the two areas hated each other, to see guys from bmore say DMV is mind blowing shyt to someone my age

But if that + tay roc rising to the top off screams, puns, and guns means url events will hit the area, I'm not mad

I hope Henny Man gets a spot :troll:

ReasonableMatic

Daps
It's crazy

The idea of a DMV didn't exist but 15 years ago, if you were from the hardest hood in Maryland you were still country or suburban to people in DC (technically true :ehh: )

Virginia is still like look at the same way

And BMore was NEVER part of the equation, the two areas hated each other, to see guys from bmore say DMV is mind blowing shyt to someone my age

But if that + tay roc rising to the top off screams, puns, and guns means url events will hit the area, I'm not mad

I hope Henny Man gets a spot :troll:

:dj2:

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Basically all of the nikkas we saw in the Lionz Den era were streetnikkas
The only nikka that could be seen as an exception in that era was Rich Dolarz

How is that up for discussion in 2016 :wtf:

Verb went to NY to battle Head Ice who Goodz even feared to battle in his hood.
Imagine him spittin this shyt to ICE right then and there IN NEW YORK

If your gorillas spent one day with us, trapped in a cage with us.
They'd come back tamed as fukk, dangerous as chained up pups.
I let that thing go buck 'til my wrist sprained and my finger cut.
Your hostile crowd don't mean a thing to us.
It aint strange if I hit that angel dust, get my anger up..
Turn Juggernaut, his frame gets crushed.
Shots point blank range, BANG he's fukked.
His soul flyin', I'm still firin'... Even his guardian angels duck!

Coming up the OGs use to talk to me
Loud nikkas was soft and weak
Gangstas had the softest speech
Soon as you get off a "P" you become a target, see?
It's better to be smart than street

How is Verb not a streetnikka spitting street content? HOW?
Let's not act like Verb is Dizaster or Mike P with that fo-fo surprisingly low shyt,
This is VERB we talkin bout

TBZ is like the twigh light zone sometimes :dead:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Y'all still confusing street person with street battler. This concept shouldn't be hard to grasp

Street battler: A Battler who's intent is to prove they're more street than you to win the battle. Rex, Cal, Surf, Hitman, Roc, Math, Ill Will, Qleen all rely on talking that authentic street shyt and making you feel like you softer than them and aren't real.

Lyrical battlers with angles: Verb, Mook, Lux, Hollow, these are guys that rap about street shyt but they are more into proving they're more lyrically superior and breaking you down piece by piece. They don't try to come off as tougher than you, but they'll have bars trying to dispel your toughness.

Bar guys with gun lines: Chilla, JC, Danja, Danny, YK, Rum Nitty, Magic - These guys are just trying to be as witty as possible, but they're just using gun bars to do it mostly. They're not trying to "out tough" you, they're all trying to out bar you. Their content is just about shooting and shyt but they're not "street" rappers.

Delicious

The D is for Delicious
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland/Brooklyn
And when I say Tay is gonna fukk Hollow up that doesn't mean he's gonna 3-0 him or even win. It means he's gonna fukk him up. It's gonna be rough for Hollow.
Not sure what you mean here.

I think the whole thing about Hollow/Roc is that Hollow has so many mediocre performances, what makes you think Roc can't beat him? It's like Roc is dismissed, but yet Hollow is going around battling clips, buddens, & Pat Stay and having shytty performances.

If we are basing this off their recent performances, I have Roc winning comfortably. I've been calling for this battle for over a year. It's a top tier style clash that can turn out to be really interesting. The thing Roc has going for him is he's not gonna try to have a chess match with this nygga. He's gonna come in there with some gun bars and he's not gonna fukk around.

Strangely enough, I at least partially agree with this. It's a battle where Hollow can lose it all by trying to be everything we talk about in here (multifaceted, creative, analytical) vs. Roc, who is likely just show up with that same aggressive screaming and saying the right thing the right way to win the crowd.

I don't think Roc is a better rapper than Hollow by a long stretch, but he's proven to be better at captivating a URL crowd. Hollow would have stick to the parts of his style that are concise.. no long builds to punches, few schemes, and no squeaking.