Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Yeah, Chilla looking type crazy turning down Hitman's card.....saying he'll stick with URL but then goes off and battles Caustic, I mean, Arcane.

In certain positions, you don't disclose information about how much you get paid depending on where you work. I have had it happen to me before as well as other people who are employed are aware. Yes, he let the cat out of the bag and it led to some muthafukkin' speculation that has now led to no SM6. It cause a domino effect amongst the top tiers and after SM2 you can see it. If anything, a contract stating that you are not allowed to say how much you get paid in your battle would've been smart on SMACK/URL's part.

Now I'm fine with there being no SM6 but what I am more concerned is how this affects other battles later on. I've been critical of URL but I also want them to succeed as a black owned business that makes the right moves however they can.

Putting he cant speak about his pay is illegal. Theres a reason big companies dont want you to say what you're getting paid, so other people wont ask for better pay. Its still illegal for companies to fire you or discipline you for saying it.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But the reason why big name matches aren't being booked is because of these large bag amounts

The market will reset itself. There's really no one to blame, this was going to happen eventually. There's no metric that links a battler's price & and the effort they put forth. The price is linked to ticket sales, sponsors, notoriety etc.

Right now you can't pay these guys based on whether they go hard all three rounds or not, because that's not what sells tickets. So you have to create a system that rewards these guys for putting their best foot forward. URL is trying to do that now. But you can't have PG's and Born Legacies, then just throw Clips a bag when the big events roll around, because the new guys won't respect your system. Even worse, the guy you're throwing the bag too starts to lose respect for you too, because he has all the leverage.

It's on the big names to decide whether they can accept that they are priced out. If they either want or need to battle they will accept smaller paydays as long as they are making more than people they are more popular than. You know damn well Aye Verb isn't going to stop battling, he will just take less money. DNA & K Shine will take less. Goodz has spent the last couple months talking about how he's finally ready to battle again. If that's the case, we will see him battling somewhere. He will tell himself, "That's less than I wanted, but more than everyone else on this card is getting". If he was only angling for a big bag, he will just do a couple more blogs whining about the current state of battle rap, then go away.

No seeing the problem with any of that....

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Smack should do incentives like the NFL

We're going to put up a poll after the battle to rate each battlers performance out of 10 each round. Each round you average a 9 or higher in the publics eyes you get an extra 2 gs. We'll also put a poll out asking if the battle itself was below average average great or classic. If the consensus by the public is that it's classic each battler gets an extra 2 gs.

Then lower the up front offer to offset these costs a little and give the battlers an incentive to perform well.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Smack should do incentives like the NFL

We're going to put up a poll after the battle to rate each battlers performance out of 10 each round. Each round you average a 9 or higher in the publics eyes you get an extra 2 gs. We'll also put a poll out asking if the battle itself was below average average great or classic. If the consensus by the public is that it's classic each battler gets an extra 2 gs.

Then lower the up front offer to offset these costs a little and give the battlers an incentive to perform well.
That's nonsense though because it's not how it really works. If he was gonna do incentives it would be for ticket sales, YouTube views, PPV numbers if they decided. You don't pay people based on their supposed skill level or effort they put in their rounds (not to mention that shyt can't even be quantified) you pay them based on the revenue they potentially will generate for your event.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Your post was irrelevant to what I was talking about, not to mention how none of us is involved in URL to have a real answer for that. I know the answer you WANT to believe, but also you gotta take into account that was the main event on the biggest card in Smack history, and who knows if all of the hype generated prior even happens if Mook isn't headlining. It's not like Smack paid him all of that money by mistake.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Your post was irrelevant to what I was talking about, not to mention how none of us is involved in URL to have a real answer for that. I know the answer you WANT to believe, but also you gotta take into account that was the main event on the biggest card in Smack history, and who knows if all of the hype generated prior even happens if Mook isn't headlining. It's not like Smack paid him all of that money by mistake.

Bro I asked a very simple question. Was it a great business move for UDUBB to pay Lux 30k

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
That's nonsense though because it's not how it really works. If he was gonna do incentives it would be for ticket sales, YouTube views, PPV numbers if they decided. You don't pay people based on their supposed skill level or effort they put in their rounds (not to mention that shyt can't even be quantified) you pay them based on the revenue they potentially will generate for your event.
Agreed. PPV numbers or attendance would make sense. Just trying to think of ways to guarantee effort everytime out.

It can be quantified by polls though.

There's also a direct correlation between effort and revenue.

Meaning the NFL will incentivize wins. Passing yards. TDs etc because star players and winning teams draw more revenue.

UFC will do fight of the night. Knock out of the night. Submission of the night etc to incentivize effort as well.

I agree it's harder to accurately quantify in battle rap.

Unless we they can agree on a commission and scoring system to actually judge rounds. It's just so subjective it's near impossible to do.

Last edited:

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Agreed. PPV numbers or attendance would make sense. Just trying to think of ways to guarantee effort everytime out.

It can be quantified by polls though.

Here's also a direct correlation between effort and revenue.

Meaning the NFL will incentivize wins. Passing yards. TDs etc because star players and winning teams draw more revenue.

UFC will do fight of the night. Knock out of the night. Submission of the night etc to incentivize effort as well.

I agree it's harder to accurately quantify in battle rap.

Unless we they can agree on a commission and scoring system to actually judge rounds. It's just so subjective it's near impossible to do.

The people who are running Smack will figure out which guys to run with, they have all the data so they won't need us to come up with a system. I think they look forward to that actually, I know I would if I was in their position. But the only way to make it work is to make everyone go through the SAME system, which means they'd have to stop working with most of the top tier "hired guns" unless a sponsor is footing the bill.
If you've battled 3 times in a row exclusively for URL by the time Summer Madness rolls around, they should have an idea of whether you belong on that card. If Hitman , Calicoe or Goodz would have made Summer Madness & Rum Nitty didn't, their whole system is pointless.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL

It really is an irrelevant question. It's easy to watch Mook & Iron as a fan who DIDN'T pay to attend SM 2 and say "It wasn't worth it". But let's not forget about all the hype that Mook's name brought to that event. Loaded Lux WAS NOT the headliner of that event. Mook headlining that card helped the company grow, it helped every battler on the card get more notoriety, it helped the league get sponsors & pack the venue, etc etc.

Paying 20k for a big name battler isn't nearly as big of an issue if URL still could do events at Webster Hall. No Webster Hall, No Stage 48, No Irving Plaza, No Santos Party House........... you really have to be from NYC to comprehend how huge of a blow the loss of those venues is. And even if you don't lose the venue, the prices the venue charges rap events goes up.
And it hasn't been proven that you can do a URL event in a different part of the country and generate a profit, so we can skip the idea of taking the show on the road.

Last edited: