Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Shield & Sword

All Star
Daps
Funnily enough I actually wonder if the OGs (I personally thought of Lux) would ever do a Born Legacy. Kill their egos for one more small room challenge.

With all the fukkery going on, I just keep being reminded battle rap is very, very niche.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Mook didn't fukk it up because he made it known, he fukked it up because he laid a bad precedent in negotiations. The same way players in the league saw what mike conley got and all the other owners I'm sure did a collective :snoop: as they knew their star players are going to want a bag when it's time to re up. Difference is, the nba has the money to oblige, but because URL doesn't want to do ppv and can't find a bigger venue leaving the bulk of their revenue to still come from ticket sales, they can't pay out unless they get a sponsor, which btw mook is responsible for killing the big entertainers coming in and spending money due to mook 5 round snooze fest. So now people are worried about quality performances from the big money guys.
This is illogical. Mook didn't pay himself. Mook didn't force Smack to pay him for SM2. You're out here trying to blame Mook, when URL decided to pay him. Mook wouldn't be the first employee or contractor in the history of the world to underperform after getting a big payday either. People blaming Mook for this shyt have no actual business vision. How are you gonna be mad at somebody trying to get paid as much as they can get, and how are you going to be mad at a fukking BATTLE RAPPER using whatever they can to show themselves as better than their competition?

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Can't front, happy to see holding out for big paydays backfiring on dudes

Lux being barely relevant in 2016

:blessed:

Havent seen his name mentioned here at all these last few months.

I guarantee by the end of next year Lux and probably Mook will take a battle for way less than their asking price. Gotta pay rent

URL has a lot more negotiating power than they did a couple years ago. And you've got enough top tiers (Clips, Tay Roc, Surf) and rising stars (Ave, Rum Nitty) willing to battle for less that you can book a reasonably budgeted card and still sell out Irving plaza

Nice work Lux and Mook. Kill your own careers with short sightedness and greed. Ask your employer to pay you money they don't have brehs
:dwillhuh:

This post is full of petty hate. Your focus on these cats' pockets is disturbing.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is that what happened? Didn't realise:ohhh:. At least we got the T-Rex v Yung Ill classic out of it :wow:

Naw dude isn't locked up, I think the issue was that he wasn't turning a profit. He didn't want to pay big names every event, but once he stopped doing that, people stopped caring. Dude is a music producer as well as an artist, this is his twitter
SenecaDaProduct (@SenecaDaProduct) on Twitter

Maybe he should go on Angryfan or PSA and tell us exactly what happened, cause people will always wonder.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
This isn't Mook or Lux fault. Getting mad at them is like buying a car you can't afford then blaming the dealership when you go broke. They have their prices. If you pay them, that's on you. They're not putting a gun to anyones head and forcing them to pay them.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
Well Chilla ruined his URL spot

someone asked would URL do a judged battle if someone accepted Chilla challenge...Norbes said "Chilla battled Arcane, thats all imma say"

edit: Norbes said he doesn't have a problem with Chilla, he's just not excited about booking him now

Yeah, Chilla looking type crazy turning down Hitman's card.....saying he'll stick with URL but then goes off and battles Caustic, I mean, Arcane.

For you guys blaming Mook, do you NOT know how much you coworkers make? Battle rappers would have known regardless.

An employer would prefer you not share salary information with your fellow coworker, but it always gets around. Why would you expect battle rap to be any different?

In certain positions, you don't disclose information about how much you get paid depending on where you work. I have had it happen to me before as well as other people who are employed are aware. Yes, he let the cat out of the bag and it led to some muthafukkin' speculation that has now led to no SM6. It cause a domino effect amongst the top tiers and after SM2 you can see it. If anything, a contract stating that you are not allowed to say how much you get paid in your battle would've been smart on SMACK/URL's part.

Now I'm fine with there being no SM6 but what I am more concerned is how this affects other battles later on. I've been critical of URL but I also want them to succeed as a black owned business that makes the right moves however they can.

cornercommission2k12

so this were u dudes went
Daps
Reppin
300 murders a year
This is illogical. Mook didn't pay himself. Mook didn't force Smack to pay him for SM2. You're out here trying to blame Mook, when URL decided to pay him. Mook wouldn't be the first employee or contractor in the history of the world to underperform after getting a big payday either. People blaming Mook for this shyt have no actual business vision. How are you gonna be mad at somebody trying to get paid as much as they can get, and how are you going to be mad at a fukking BATTLE RAPPER using whatever they can to show themselves as better than their competition?
nobody has said they dont like the fact mook got 20k, you are imposing your own arguments on others and acting as if those are our sentiments.

the issues lies in mook telling what he made, to openly be a douche to the other battle rappers on the card, and also making the negotiations process worst for smack behind closed doors. then by following that up with a horrible 5 round snooze fest of a performance, he put smack in the absolute worst position to negotiate. at least if mook did a classic, then if battle rappers come in demanding more smack could justify giving mook that money, but now, smack look dumb as hell for giving him that money and makes it harder for him to not give that same money or more to others who have a better track record than mook. but all mook had to do to keep the business profitable was shut his damn mouth. mook can make as much as he wants to, im simply talking about the residual effects of the decisions. cant ignore that simply because you dont want to look like you hating.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
nobody has said they dont like the fact mook got 20k, you are imposing your own arguments on others and acting as if those are our sentiments.

the issues lies in mook telling what he made, to openly be a douche to the other battle rappers on the card, and also making the negotiations process worst for smack behind closed doors. then by following that up with a horrible 5 round snooze fest of a performance, he put smack in the absolute worst position to negotiate. at least if mook did a classic, then if battle rappers come in demanding more smack could justify giving mook that money, but now, smack look dumb as hell for giving him that money and makes it harder for him to not give that same money or more to others who have a better track record than mook. but all mook had to do to keep the business profitable was shut his damn mouth. mook can make as much as he wants to, im simply talking about the residual effects of the decisions. cant ignore that simply because you dont want to look like you hating.
Once again, you're blaming Mook for issues that would've come out anyway whether or not Mook spoke on it in his round. All of these other battle rappers know what was he getting paid or would have known. Having it out publicly really only can benefit the league because naïve fans such as yourself will simply blame the battlers for the league not being able to negotiate or get their shyt together and design a card.

Just think about this - you're here blaming Mook for something he said in 2012, for a battle event not happening in 2016, when that same event happened the last three years. Just think about that logically for a second.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps

Was is a great business move for URL in the long run?