Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Summer Madness & NOME gonna be PPV, smh. Beasley also said he offered to give battlers a YouTube drop in exchange for a pay cut but they decline it.

If the only way people can see your battles is when I take a loss and post them for free, then yes, you should pay me for that.

Last edited:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
This Beasley interview is hilarious. It’s a shame he has to do this, but the BRC is the cheapest community.

I was listening to a Norbes podcast last week. Just listen to the people that call in. It’s like our people don’t understand business.
AT ALL.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Why don’t URL go the sponsor route for YouTube drops? I can see a company dropping some bands to sponsor a Geechi vs Mook battle or something.

That seems like a better business move than having pissed off battlers on contract.

Last edited:
Daps
I didn't know Eazy battled on RBE until someone said it in otfmz comments, the hint by Beasley flew over my head 🤦🏾‍♂️. This nikka Eazy was rapping like Tay Roc in that battle a lil bit

dutchie

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why don’t URL go the sponsor route for YouTube drops? I can see a company dropping some bands to sponsor a Geechi vs Mook battle or something.

That seems like a better business move than having pissed off battlers on contract.

What respected brand (not exclusive vodka or blunts) do you see wanting to be associated with 2 guys rapping about crips and how they gonna kill each other and their families?

Why not use Yt drops as an incentive instead? If you come with 3 rounds, your battle does x amount of views/likes on the app, we'll realise it on YT. Or something like that

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
What respected brand (not exclusive vodka or blunts) do you see wanting to be associated with 2 guys rapping about crips and how they gonna kill each other and their families?

Why not use Yt drops as an incentive instead? If you come with 3 rounds, your battle does x amount of views/likes on the app, we'll realise it on YT. Or something like that
Cause of money, which I understand. Sponsors would cover some of that.

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
I don’t see how Jay Blac killed his argument when he mentioned Award. Beasley is right. People seem to act as if Award is this up and coming batter.

Award is a product of KOTD. They introduced him to the battle world, and gave him good names over there. They are one of the few leagues that can introduce new talent.

To his credit, he has been able to appeal to the street side of battle rap. How? I absolutely have no idea. However, because nyggas don’t really watch KOTD like that, it’s as if he came to battle rap doing it completely independently.

The only battler I can think of that truly did it on an independent level was Bdot.

Because nikkas subconsciously feel if they dont fukk with him they aint getting into heaven lol

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I don’t understand why people think it’s an either/or situation when it comes to the business in battle rap. URL are within their rights to lock their battles behind a paywall because they’re in the business of making money and battlers are within their rights to want to expand their brands.

The main issue here is the lack of options outside of URL so battlers feel compelled to deal with not having their battles accessible to a wider audience outside of the app. Eazy isn‘t at the point where he can bring out casual fans because casuals don’t have the app or caffeine.

Also, Beasley‘s being disingenuous by citing how many million view battles there are on YouTube since the app because a) only URL know how many subscribers they have (and it’s not even close to a million) and b) he also knows that battlers don’t have access to the metrics which means they have less leverage in negotiations.

BrooklynShow

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Crown Heights Brooklyn
I think Beasley is giving the URL app the credit that belongs to Caffeine. Those rappers grew because URL moved the big battles from 1 free platform (YouTube) to another (Caffeine) so the exposure wasn't lost as much. Now if all URL battles are behind a paywall, there will be a significant drop on viewership which I doubt URL will ever admit to.
Why not create an ad version and a pay for ad free version of the app like Hulu?

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Would the headliners for a certain card be in the wrong if they ask for a piece from the PPV revenue?
Aint that how it used to be when URL did ppvs? It would make sense they allowed it now. You getting less exposure from battling on caffeine now. I'm sure URL would argue the battler needs to take a paycut if they want points though. The ppl who locked into these long term contracts probably dont have much wiggle room though and probably dont care. The Mooks, Lux etc will be the ones that are savvy enough to negotiate that.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps

He says Ez said he was never offered the option for a youtube drop for less money.
Chris Unbias said Lu was asked if he knew it was an option to take less money for a yt drop and he said no. Lu said he will ask for youtube drops now that he knows that is an option though.
Now we will see if Beasley gonna keep up their end of letting them do youtube drops and letting battlers keep youtube revenue :manny:

App vs Caffeine when it comes to Ez thoughts. He also mentioned URL had to work hard to convince ppl like T Top and others to battle against Ez. Chris also mentioned Ez put in a lot of work outside of the app to get himself more exposure. Top Tier song, good interviews with JayBlac/15mof, faceoff with Ace etc.

Last edited: