The Official Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Movie Thread

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
And those people asking questions are people that seem to be giving him the :camby:
I didn't want to indulge this tangent because it is besides the point. In the quasi-realistic world they've set this in it shouldn't even be a question. They should want him gone, end of story. The only catastrophe he has prevented only happened because he was here, the're nothing to weigh against it because he's done nothing else besides secretly saving an oil rig crew.

Superman can fly, has super strength, speed and bullets can bounce off his chest. By his very being, he's a potentially catastrophic threat to humanity. Realistically, you don't need to see him battle someone of equal ilk and destroy a bunch of shyt to question if he's dangerous or not. He was 10 years old lifting school buses full of children, even when he was saving people, he was still someone that you had to question.

You think realistically, no one would have a problem with Superman until a city is destroyed?

And surely you should be able to understand the other side. Someone sees the presence of a powerful alien that prevented the city from being destroyed by 3 similar aliens that came to Earth with that intention. It's not hard to see why some may see his presence as a good thing, if he can prevent total ruin, he can do it again.

Its not what he can do, it is what has already happened. People already have seen him involved in a fight that caused wide-scale destruction. At that point It was the first thing to happen involving Superman as far as most people know, so it is not even a matter of potential. Even if they went overboard showing him doing everything he could to preserve life it wouldn't have mattered because for most people his presence has meant destruction and nothing else by the final scene of the movie.

Of course he would be a problematic figure regardless but the events in mos take the debate of the table. There's no argument to be had because of how they set it up. and please stop skipping over the fact that total ruin was brought about as a result of his presence on the planet. At that point why wouldn't people think it would be better if he just left?
:beli:

Look at what happens at :52. That's the face and scream of someone that did something that they did not want to, something they realized immediately.

This goes back to my initial point. Zod was a bad choice. They added layers of controversy to an already controversial idea (superman) before it had even been established in peoples minds. It didn't make sense to put him in that position in the first place.

Then he's a problem, one that people will have to figure out how to handle, this was hinted at as we saw in MoS with the government coming at him on more than occasion. And as we'll see in BvS with him being questioned by the media, Lex Luthor, Batman and others.
The issue isn't that he's a problem. It's that with the balance of events as they are, he's a problem and nothing else.

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
I'll never understand why but I liked Sucker Punch enough to see it Twice.

No Guns but..
Vanessa-Sucker-Punch-2011-Promotional-vanessa-anne-hudgens-21687640-384-575.jpg

:mjcry:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I didn't want to indulge this tangent because it is besides the point. In the quasi-realistic world they've set this in it shouldn't even be a question. They should want him gone, end of story. The only catastrophe he has prevented only happened because he was here, the're nothing to weigh against it because he's done nothing else besides secretly saving an oil rig crew.

Its not what he can do, it is what has already happened. People already have seen him involved in a fight that caused wide-scale destruction. At that point It was the first thing to happen involving Superman as far as most people know, so it is not even a matter of potential. Even if they went overboard showing him doing everything he could to preserve life it wouldn't have mattered because for most people his presence has meant destruction and nothing else by the final scene of the movie.

Of course he would be a problematic figure regardless but the events in mos take the debate of the table. There's no argument to be had because of how they set it up. and please stop skipping over the fact that total ruin was brought about as a result of his presence on the planet. At that point why wouldn't people think it would be better if he just left?

This goes back to my initial point. Zod was a bad choice. They added layers of controversy to an already controversial idea (superman) before it had even been established in peoples minds. It didn't make sense to put him in that position in the first place.

The issue isn't that he's a problem. It's that with the balance of events as they are, he's a problem and nothing else.
The fact that Superman was ostensibly the reason why Zod came to Earth is a point in the column of those people who distrust Superman and want him gone. Superman fighting and defeating Zod and basically making it known to the world that he will defend it against anyone including his own people is the type of thing that can engender him to people. Also with the knowledge that Earth is not alone in the universe the idea that Superman exists and is on Earth's side is also one in the positive column.

Plus people all over the world love the Kardashians to death despite the entire family being nothing but a bunch of useless attention whores; so why would it be hard to fathom that a conventionally handsome white dude with super powers could have a huge fanbase? People are sheep for the most part, man.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
Look you don't like the story just say that cause you think it could of been handled differently . Your saying that superman has to only be done the way YOU think it should be and that's completely ridiculous and egotistical. In the wb/dcu universe they want to address supermans place in the modern world with this story and so they purposely had Him cause a shytload of collateral damage and even kill Zod . In the movie since he was inexperienced it is understandable that he couldn't stop The damage or stop a trained solider without killing him

Also it's a teaser they are trying to establish the way the world is reacting to superman , they show cops Bowing , they show a statue , they show it defaced also to go with the comments . If you can't get what those scenes are saying along with the quotes without seeing the movie then :yeshrug: that's on you
The boldest is among the daftest things i've read today. First off I don't believe Superman has to be done in any particular way. I just believe, same as I do with any story, that the narrative has to make sense and with mos I don't think it does. Second we all carry ideals with regard to everything whether we want to or not, pointing that out in defense of this is banal.

I have said that I have no problem with modernism/realism element of the story but they didn't follow through with it.

He's inexperienced, it is ok that they chose to show that but that is also why its dumb to throw him right into the deep end off the bat, as at that point humanity should want nothing to do with him. They shouldn't be asking what they want him to do they should be asking him to leave.

Again none of that happened in mos so how is that relevant to this discussion?

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Fans on IMDB making a lot of snap judgments based on the two minute trailer. Agree or disagree with this though?

disagree.....that is just another example of people complaining just to complain.....MoS isn't 'dark', but it isnt 'kiddy' either, it's a nice mix....but it seems since it wasn't all 'kiddy', people wanna act like it was as dark as the Nolan films....also, this movie will be a bit darker cause we'll get to see the world's reaction to superman (some will praise, some will fear, some will question, some will despise, etc.), how superman deals with that conflict within himself about what he should do/be in the world, batman getting introduced, and the most important reason: it's setting up the justice league...there needs to be a reason why the league forms...but that doesn't mean every character will be dark like batman, cause superman in MoS surely isn't like that.....

...what's funny is the same ones complaining would be still be complaining if the movie was kiddy....fukk them...

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The fact that Superman was ostensibly the reason why Zod came to Earth is a point in the column of those people who distrust Superman and want him gone. Superman fighting and defeating Zod and basically making it known to the world that he will defend it against anyone including his own people is the type of thing that can engender him to people. Also with the knowledge that Earth is not alone in the universe the idea that Superman exists and is on Earth's side is also one in the positive column.

Plus people all over the world love the Kardashians to death despite the entire family being nothing but a bunch of useless attention whores; so why would it be hard to fathom that a conventionally handsome white dude with super powers could have a huge fanbase? People are sheep for the most part, man.
Exactly . There's so many reasons that superman would have fans if he looked like doomsday he'd have a harder time of course but with his looks , abilities and the fact that he fought his own people to save the world would get him brownie points . Not to mention people who don't know what's going on would think superman was a human or something . It's not like at any point did superman go beating up humans

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Sure, he threw some guy with dynamite down a hole. And Nolan's Batman spent three movies emphasizing that he doesn't kill movie yet ending up with a far larger body count. What's your point?

Why don't people grasp that a Superman who shows no concern for collateral damage is a terrible interpretation of the character? It doesn't matter that he's green, he just flat out showed no signs that he even cared, which is the least they could do.

And aliens killed half of Manhattan, while the Avengers actively tried to save and evacuate as many people as possible while holding an entire alien army at bay. Again, Supes showed no signs that he could give a shyt, which again, is the least they could do.

Because, as I've said again and again, he doesn't necessarily have to succeed at rescuing people, but you got to, at the very least, show him trying to do so.

My point is it wasn't the end of the world that it happened and it was his interpretation of the character and there are many many fans of it and of his first batman movie in which he had missiles rockets and Gatling guns on the batwing and tried(but failed miserably) to shoot the joker. If you have a problem with all of that then cool go ahead and have your issues with superman not taking 5-10 min out of a fight to drag it away from a farm or away from an IHOP or be upset at him for fighting in a city that was in the process of being evacuated. But if you don't then let the shyt go and wait till the new movie comes out. If you still got beef then cool have it but until then let the shyt go because it's been debated to death. @obarth is right when he says this shyt is disingenuous at best because once again the quibbles of one movie don't apply to another when they very well could.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The boldest is among the daftest things i've read today. First off I don't believe Superman has to be done in any particular way. I just believe, same as I do with any story, that the narrative has to make sense and with mos I don't think it does. Second we all carry ideals with regard to everything whether we want to or not, pointing that out in defense of this is banal.

I have said that I have no problem with modernism/realism element of the story but they didn't follow through with it.

He's inexperienced, it is ok that they chose to show that but that is also why its dumb to throw him right into the deep end off the bat, as at that point humanity should want nothing to do with him. They shouldn't be asking what they want him to do they should be asking him to leave.

Again none of that happened in mos so how is that relevant to this discussion?
Didn't the point from Zod arriving and the public at large finding out about Superman/aliens only encompass like a couple days? There was no reveal of Superman and then time to get public perception...all of the action happened in a very short time span.
BvS is addressing the issues you are talking about based on the teaser.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps

You read comics from what I can tell, how many stories have you read about the problem of escalation and heroes being a lightning rod for disasters that counterbalance whatever good they do? These stories work and can even be great but with mos there was no counterbalance. He had done nothing else to engender goodwill besides stop a catastrophe that was a result of his presence. Whatever danger he could promise to prevent is mitigated by the fact that the biggest ever threat to humanity's existence occurred because he was here and there's no guarantee that he won't attract other such disasters

Last I checked our introduction to the Kardashians wasn't through alien invasion and wide-scale death and destruction. Most sane human beings have a pretty keen sense of self-preservation. Most people would be terrified had such a thing as in the movie occured.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
Didn't the point from Zod arriving and the public at large finding out about Superman/aliens only encompass like a couple days? There was no reveal of Superman and then time to get public perception...all of the action happened in a very short time span.
BvS is addressing the issues you are talking about based on the teaser.
That's exactly the problem. By the end of the movie, nobody knows who Superman is or what his intentions are but can see what his presence has caused. There's no realistic way to build trust on that.