The Official "Avengers: Infinity War" Thread (SPOILERS)

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I didn't realize the Russo brothers were directing this. Thank God :blessed:
The light hearted tones are fun but they are better suited for standalone projects with low stakes than a universe shaking event.
Light hearted = fun / low stakes meaning who cares what effect it has on the rest of the world. That's fine with me. Spiderman loved it. Antman, same.
When they try combine light hearted with high stakes you end up with a ludo narrative dissidence that ruins the plot even though the movie may be entertaining.

1) Kill my best friends,
2) Destroy my home,
3) Displace my people,
4) Break my prized possession,
5) Disfigure me,
6) Girl friend left me
7) oh and my father is dead,
8) All because of the actions of my brother and sister.
:picard:

good time to crack a joke?:francis: = Thor Ragnarok a lesson in Ludo Narrative Dissidence
Meanwhile Iron Man has PTSD after falling through a wormhole and having a bad dream.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
tumblr_p0g6zpM5aL1v5thoao1_1280.jpg

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
What do you mean by light?

Fred.

Going to jump in since I've heard the argument before and I agree with it even though I still love the movie:

Tonally from what's happened before and what happens after, the airport scene feels like its from a different movie. It doesn't have any weight and its like okay are we fighting to the death or are we fighting to maim or wound or what? Wanda drops cars on Tony :russ: and he brushes it off. Not one car, not two, not three, but dozens of cars. Cap drops a trailer on spider-man and yeah he handles it but what are we going for here? It's a scene that's fun to watch and is filled with awesome moments but narratively it sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't have any real weight to it until the very end but even that's undercut and a mistake.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Going to jump in since I've heard the argument before and I agree with it even though I still love the movie:

Tonally from what's happened before and what happens after, the airport scene feels like its from a different movie. It doesn't have any weight and its like okay are we fighting to the death or are we fighting to maim or wound or what? Wanda drops cars on Tony :russ: and he brushes it off. Not one car, not two, not three, but dozens of cars. Cap drops a trailer on spider-man and yeah he handles it but what are we going for here? It's a scene that's fun to watch and is filled with awesome moments but narratively it sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't have any real weight to it until the very end but even that's undercut and a mistake.
what always puzzled me about this scene is...

what if Spidey DIDNT have super strength??
:jbhmm:

Did Cap even know?

has Hydra Steve been manifesting in Captain America all this time?

honestly i never sweated the whole airport scene being weak and all that.
they was basically out there slap boxing.
Vision and Scarlet Witch coulda ended that fight in a matter of minutes.:pachaha:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

I didn't comment yet because I wasn't sure what he meant....but I assumed this was it, because I've seen the complaint several times.

I kinda see the point but at the same time none of these guys (aside from BP and Cap) are veterans. They aren't fighting to the death....given how they reacted to War Machine getting fukked up I think it's safe to say they weren't even fighting to hurt each other. But most of them haven't had a reason to really cut loose so the fight escalated from "let's run at each other....oh shyt, neither side is backing down" to "let's throw cars at each other" because not only do most of them not know their own limits, they don't know how much their opponents can take, either.

It's kinda like if you see two people that can fight sparring....ideally both of them would be disciplined enough to know when to quit....but I've seen cats that should know better, kinda attempt to hurt each other just based on the fact that neither side wanted to give up. And when this kind of thing happens, it escalates fast.

Now imagine that, with super powers.

Fred.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

Did Cap even know?

Vision and Scarlet Witch coulda ended that fight in a matter of minutes.:pachaha:
When Cap's in combat he kills with no remorse. Spidey was just some guy who attacked him, he had better be prepared for what comes next. :francis:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Did Cap even know?

Lol that's what my boy asked me. Like he doesnt know this kid has any type of super strength lol so he could've crushed his ass and "squashed him like a bug" and that would've been that.

Like I said I hear the argument and I get it. I don't have any rebuttals for it. I like it and I enjoy it but I do get why it sticks out. I think too often now we get so caught up in defending something or liking something we can't see the faults in it. Loving something doesn't mean you think it's perfect:manny:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I didn't comment yet because I wasn't sure what he meant....but I assumed this was it, because I've seen the complaint several times.

I kinda see the point but at the same time none of these guys (aside from BP and Cap) are veterans. They aren't fighting to the death....given how they reacted to War Machine getting fukked up I think it's safe to say they weren't even fighting to hurt each other. But most of them haven't had a reason to really cut loose so the fight escalated from "let's run at each other....oh shyt, neither side is backing down" to "let's throw cars at each other" because not only do most of them not know their own limits, they don't know how much their opponents can take, either.

It's kinda like if you see two people that can fight sparring....ideally both of them would be disciplined enough to know when to quit....but I've seen cats that should know better, kinda attempt to hurt each other just based on the fact that neither side wanted to give up. And when this kind of thing happens, it escalates fast.

Now imagine that, with super powers.

Fred.

And I think that's the issue. It just feels like its in a different movie. Doesn't mean it's bad or should be excised from the flick. Like I just told @BXKingPin82 I can love something but still see its faults and that doesn't make me love it any less.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I assumed Steve could tell Spidey had super strength because he felt it during his little fight with him. Steve just got through pulling a helicopter so for him to struggle with Spidey throwing and kicking him around was enough for him to go “oh, we got another one”

Could just be my love of dbz influencing me. “I could sense his true power”:russ:

doublex

Pro
Daps

Did Cap even know?

Start at 1:25. Spiderman webs Cap up, yanks him off his feet, and kicks him several feet into the air.

Cap's gonna obviously know he's got super strength after that.