Essential The Official "All Things One Piece" Thread (The Final Saga Has Started))

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
One piece has always been a series about destiny and fate

Luffy been foreshadowed since loguetown that he is a special someone/chosen hero

Anyone bytching about spoilers clearly hasn't been paying attention to what this series was since the Loguetown Arc

There's been numerous showings that Luffy is the destined hero

From his dream, Shirley's prophecy , his similar look to Roger, WBs statement to BB, etc

No one missed the fate foreshadowing :mjlol:. People are trying to figure out how that element is gonna be implemented.

There's obviously a hero everyone's waiting for. That's obviously gonna wind up being Luffy since he's the protagonist. But it's how he gets there that theorize about. The debate is whether Luffy was predetermined from birth or whether he'll earn it. And I'd argue that there has been ample evidence for both to make sense.

Example: People mention the Will of D as proof that Luffy was born special. But Jaguar D Saul ain't Joyboy for damned sure. There have been hints that Vivi, Momo, Gol D, and plenty of others have special roles to play as well. Kaido thought HE was Joyboy. All of which can mean that Joyboy is more of a title than one individual that would be reincarnated.

But there's also things like the Sun God Nika and Luffy posing the exact same way. The lightning strike that saved Luffy. And a bunch of other lucky moments with "how could that be a coincidence" commentaries to support Luffy as a predestined figure. I think Oden's predictions seem like the biggest hint toward that (and one of Roger's crew asked if Luffy and his crew were the ones everyone had been waiting for at one point which is a good hint).

I agree that heads upset about the predestined angle are overdoing it. But the Naruto-style hero wasn't/isn't foregone. Oda loves subversion, so I always figured even if Luffy is a figure of destiny there'd be a twist to the formula. Luffy's whole concept of a pirate is someone who is free to do what they want. Freedom of choice and being bound by fate tend to be clashing themes. I just suspect that Oda would have a clever way to make Luffy both...like the D standing for candidates to inherit Joyboy's will, but the one who rises to that role still would have to earn the title or some ish.

Another example of "more than one path to the conclusion we know is coming" would be
How did Luffy wake up just now? Was it Joyboy possessing him, his devil fruit awakening, or is it some other explanation? I could make a narrative based case for each. DF awakening was the turning point of the BM fight and too many strong characters have shown that ability for Luffy not to have it. But there's also all the talk about ghosts in the fire festival, and Zunisha heard "Joyboy." Plus that'd leave the door open for other possessions like Zoro who also was implied as dead being possessed by the OG dragon slayer Ryuma so there's fun ish that Oda could toy with there.

Either way, the fun of narratives is that there are usually multiple directions an author can take. Heads being too dedicated to any one solution will wind up butthurt and complaining. Lit analysis and reading in general would be boring AF if every narrative moved in straight lines with themes.

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
I just need to see how this plays out because nobody has died and come back to life a different person. Does the Devil Fruits have a consciousness? Talking about awakenings would suggest that I guess.

Since Haki is connected to willpower - Only those with a strong enough willpower can live through their Devil Fruit while their original existence dies. :yeshrug:

Last edited:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I just need to see how this plays out because nobody has died and come back to life a different person. Does the Devil Fruits have a consciousness? Talking about awakenings would suggest that I guess.

Since Haki is connected to willpower - Only those with a strong enough willpower can live through their Devil Fruit while their original existence dies. :yeshrug:

I'm hoping after Wano, Vegapunk finally shows up and explains exactly how Devil Fruits work. Has to happen at some point. :wow:

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Hes either dead or super KO'd

Like Ace Died,

I dont think thats the case here. I mean if he had another soul living in his body or something i could be cool with that i guess.

If his gum gum fruit has some type of power that only gets activated when he dies like that dude from 'Misfits' i guess that cool too:francis:

I think Luffy will be back in some form, but I think it's clear he flatlined and Joy Boy's heart is now beating in him. :wow: @ Joy Boy's heartbeat sounding like the drums of liberation tho.

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
Joy Boys heartbeat sounding like

nigerian-dancing.gif

Objection

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
To be fair, Kaido got saved by the plot (vs. Oden and against Luffy) twice.

He's definitely the most powerful villain, but in terms of backstory/character I'd still put Doflamingo (or even Big Mom) over him. Dude barely has a backstory and IDK what his motive is other than just being evil and violent.

Take away his power level and Kaido is just some depressed alcoholic thug who wants to cause destruction.
I'm sure they will flesh out his backstory and we will see why he became that way. I doubt that's how he started. I agree that Kaido was saved when he fought Oden but I think he was going to eventually end up beating Luffy the way things were going. Gear 4 was damn near out of power and Kaido was handling it pretty well.

4-Rin

Superstar
Daps
This chapter made me realize this happened all because of Shanks. He probably knew what the fruit was from the beginning.

Why did the world government decide Luffy needs to die now when they've known about him wrecking havoc all these years? Because Shanks told them the fruit he ate wasnt the gomu gomu fruit, it was the one he stole from them.

Why would Shanks want the government to kill Luffy? Because he knew it will help trigger his awakening. But in order for it to awaken, the user needs to be strong as shyt. Thats why he told Luffy to come find him when he's a strong pirate. When he saw Luffy at the paramount war, it was obvious he was still too weak. Once Shanks read the Bad News Morgans report about Luffy becoming a yonkou, Shanks felt its time to act and took his ass to the reverie to set things in motion to help awaken Luffy since he was strong enough to fukk with Big Mom.

The movie Red better be canon, Shanks the real MVP :banderas:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
This chapter made me realize this happened all because of Shanks. He probably knew what the fruit was from the beginning.

Why did the world government decide Luffy needs to die now when they've known about him wrecking havoc all these years? Because Shanks told them the fruit he ate wasnt the gomu gomu fruit, it was the one he stole from them.

Why would Shanks want the government to kill Luffy? Because he knew it will help trigger his awakening. But in order for it to awaken, the user needs to be strong as shyt. Thats why he told Luffy to come find him when he's a strong pirate. When he saw Luffy at the paramount war, it was obvious he was still too weak. Once Shanks read the Bad News Morgans report about Luffy becoming a yonkou, Shanks felt its time to act and took his ass to the reverie to set things in motion to help awaken Luffy since he was strong enough to fukk with Big Mom.

The movie Red better be canon, Shanks the real MVP :banderas:

He also stopped kaido from reaching marineford but his army didn’t have a scratch on them when they arrived. Shanks has been making moves in the background for madd long.

zerorequiem

All Star
Daps
I'm definitely confused with what happened, but hyped at the same time. I hope it's not some body inhabitance type thing, but more of a reincarnation all along. I'm also curious about the powers I'm sure we'll see. Sucks there is a break. I can't wait to see this shyt animated also.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'm definitely confused with what happened, but hyped at the same time. I hope it's not some body inhabitance type thing, but more of a reincarnation all along. I'm also curious about the powers I'm sure we'll see. Sucks there is a break. I can't wait to see this shyt animated also.

Two weeks from tomorrow we're finally getting the rooftop faceoff in the anime :banderas:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This hoopla and commotion is a good example of actual Canon, themes. And hints in a series vs the head Canon BS expectation of fans

Some fans and readers r bad readers

If you can't pick up on obvious themes or want a series to go a way that u like and it has never ever built itself to be that way

It's not the writers(Oda) or seties(One piece) fault its yours as the reader

Op has never shied away from the destiny elements.
It has embraced it Long long ago

Luffy has always been special and been foreshadowed to be much more than we can imagine
"Inherited will" is a huge theme of One Piece.

It's pretty much the central theme of the entire Wano arc

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm starting to feel Oda is going to go somewhere down the middle. Luffywill be the one, but the one out of generations of potential ones. That shanks felt the same way, as well as others with knowledge of the worlds history saw the potential.

Daps
Agree, Yamato definitely fits in and has spit some fire this arc. She'd be the only Zoan on the crew too

I want Yamato to join the crew but Momo gonna block that move I feel,Yamato choosin also :takedat: if dat nikka Momo is wise he would wife that jawn and make her queen after this is over. Would be dope if Momo kept riding with Luffy all the way to the Onepiece also but he probably gonna stay in Wano and restore order.