Essential The Official "All Things One Piece" Thread (The Final Saga Has Started))

wise prophet

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:rudy: Could you elaborate on that?

Spoiler for those who aren't up to date:

Luffy/Akainu is bound to happen near the end of the series. Given that:

-Akainu is the Fleet Admiral and essentially represents the Marines

-He's leading the Marines during of the Age of Pirates, a time that is more dangerous for the Marines/World Government than when Roger reigned supreme

-Luffy should be at or surpass Roger's level by the time they fight

it wouldn't make sense to me that Akainu winds up being weaker than Garp/Sengoku. I think they were all relatively equal pre-time skip with Akainu being a bit above them, but I feel he got stronger post time skip. Maybe he honed his skills, advanced his fruit, improved his Haki, or shyt, maybe even told Vegapunk to experiment on him to make him stronger...or maybe his potential strength increase is related to what Jinbe said about the World Government granting the Marines 'unprecedented strength' making them stronger than ever.

And I don't care what Garp said when Akainu killed Ace. If we're going to take a characters actions and words at face value why not look at Blackbeard's? He and his crew had no problem fighting Garp/Sengoku at the same time, but didn't waste a second running away when he saw that Akainu was coming after him.

I think Garp is supposed to be equal to or close to Gol D. Roger which would put him at the top as far as power goes. I mean you seen how bossed up an old ass whitebeard was and he was secondary to Rogers in their primes. So the only thing about Garp is probably old age at this point. Akainu gets an edge because of that ruthlessness though I would think. I don't know about Sengouku
as far as him and Garps powers are concerned.

Thing is, it's hard to say how close Garp was to Roger in strength. The most we know is that they ran into each other a bunch of times, Roger got 'cornered' (which could mean anything) and Roger wound up giving himself up to Garp after he found out he was dying.

As far as Sengoku, he was BY FAR the least impressive top tier in the war to me. This might be my disappointment talking but I feel like he may even be weaker than all three Admirals, with his greatest strength being his strategic mind. If he was meant to be portrayed as stronger than that, Oda did a poor job at doing it.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Spoiler for those who aren't up to date:

Luffy/Akainu is bound to happen near the end of the series. Given that:

-Akainu is the Fleet Admiral and essentially represents the Marines

-He's leading the Marines during of the Age of Pirates, a time that is more dangerous for the Marines/World Government than when Roger reigned supreme

-Luffy should be at or surpass Roger's level by the time they fight

it wouldn't make sense to me that Akainu winds up being weaker than Garp/Sengoku. I think they were all relatively equal pre-time skip with Akainu being a bit above them, but I feel he got stronger post time skip. Maybe he honed his skills, advanced his fruit, improved his Haki, or shyt, maybe even told Vegapunk to experiment on him to make him stronger...or maybe his potential strength increase is related to what Jinbe said about the World Government granting the Marines 'unprecedented strength' making them stronger than ever.

And I don't care what Garp said when Akainu killed Ace. If we're going to take a characters actions and words at face value why not look at Blackbeard's? He and his crew had no problem fighting Garp/Sengoku at the same time, but didn't waste a second running away when he saw that Akainu was coming after him.

Thing is, it's hard to say how close Garp was to Roger in strength. The most we know is that they ran into each other a bunch of times, Roger got 'cornered' (which could mean anything) and Roger wound up giving himself up to Garp after he found out he was dying.

As far as Sengoku, he was BY FAR the least impressive top tier in the war to me. This might be my disappointment talking but I feel like he may even be weaker than all three Admirals, with his greatest strength being his strategic mind. If he was meant to be portrayed as stronger than that, Oda did a poor job at doing it.

Stop overrating this dude Akainu pre-time skip. :why:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
How am I overrating him?

He wasn't seeing Garp or Sengoku...there's a reason they were his superiors up until retirement. By the end of the series, I'm sure this generation will surpass the old one but as of right now...the three admirals (in one on ones) got checked by Rayleigh (second to Gol D.), Shanks' crew and couldn't take out Marco (WB's second) solo...and it's not like Akainu is so much better than Aokiji or Kizaru

Aokiji and Akainu had a close head to head fight to rule

There's no actual evidence Akainu is better than Garp/Sengoku besides the fact that he'll probably be fighting Luffy late in the series...which means at some point he and Luffy will be superior to their older counterparts.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Any one know where I can find a torrent batch of episodes in mp4 from ep.504 to present.
Rest of my pack is in fukkin' mkv. :beli:

It's slowing down my pace watching it on the computer.

wise prophet

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He wasn't seeing Garp or Sengoku...there's a reason they were his superiors up until retirement. By the end of the series, I'm sure this generation will surpass the old one but as of right now...the three admirals (in one on ones) got checked by Rayleigh (second to Gol D.), Shanks' crew and couldn't take out Marco (WB's second) solo...and it's not like Akainu is so much better than Aokiji or Kizaru

Aokiji and Akainu had a close head to head fight to rule

There's no actual evidence Akainu is better than Garp/Sengoku besides the fact that he'll probably be fighting Luffy late in the series...which means at some point he and Luffy will be superior to their older counterparts.

Garp/Sengoku being his (and the other Admirals) superiors was probably related to their seniority, accomplishments and reputation more than anything.

And let's not act like Rayleigh is some scrub. His fight against Kizaru wasn't even some beatdown, they were relatively even, and Kizaru tends goof around a lot. I doubt Garp and Sengoku would have done THAT much better against Rayleigh.

Marco is somewhat different, he never actually fought against any of the Admirals solo for a long period of time, just a couple of blocks and kicks. I don't think Marco could realistically beat the Admirals tho, it took him and the rest of the Whitebeard commanders and Crocodile just to stop Akainu from going after Luffy.

Being completely honest, from everything I've seen in the series I'm not buying that Garp/Sengoku were that much stronger than not only Akainu but Kizaru and Aokiji...if at all. Most of the hype comes from just existing in a time period where Roger, prime Rayleigh and prime Whitebeard existed. We never saw how much of a chance they actually stood against them in a fight. I'll say that Garp is better than what he's shown, but Sengoku...dude was just a complete disappointment in the War arc.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
:scusthov: @ Sanji. Kuma did him wrong putting him on that tranny island. The only straw hat who thinks about p*ssy and this is what he gets.

teacher

All Star
Daps
Garp/Sengoku being his (and the other Admirals) superiors was probably related to their seniority, accomplishments and reputation more than anything.

And let's not act like Rayleigh is some scrub. His fight against Kizaru wasn't even some beatdown, they were relatively even, and Kizaru tends goof around a lot. I doubt Garp and Sengoku would have done THAT much better against Rayleigh.

Marco is somewhat different, he never actually fought against any of the Admirals solo for a long period of time, just a couple of blocks and kicks. I don't think Marco could realistically beat the Admirals tho, it took him and the rest of the Whitebeard commanders and Crocodile just to stop Akainu from going after Luffy.

Being completely honest, from everything I've seen in the series I'm not buying that Garp/Sengoku were that much stronger than not only Akainu but Kizaru and Aokiji...if at all. Most of the hype comes from just existing in a time period where Roger, prime Rayleigh and prime Whitebeard existed. We never saw how much of a chance they actually stood against them in a fight. I'll say that Garp is better than what he's shown, but Sengoku...dude was just a complete disappointment in the War arc.

:what:

nicca one shotted marco a dude that was going toe to toe with kizaru....dude completely changed the pirates strategy after that one...let straw hat save Ace lol

lets not forget sengoku holding back/talking sense to Garp because he didn't want him to body Akainu after he killed Ace....

and

lets not forget the Cp9 arc where Garp throws a cannon ball the size of the sunny go merry with ease as luffy talks shyt when they were leaving...

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
The match up debates must go hard here since One Piece doesn't have that gay DBZ fight level formula.

With DBZ you can just say Goku is the strongest.

One Piece you gotta think hard about and it's like real life, just because you're strong and at the top some random guy can take you down a notch. I know I said Zoro ain't up there with Luffy but it's evident that he's taken out enemies capable of killing Luffy like Das Bones.

teacher

All Star
Daps
is it finally gonna pop off...is luffy gonna finally gonna fight seriously with no handicaps?!?! :blessed:

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
The match up debates must go hard here since One Piece doesn't have that gay DBZ fight level formula.

One Piece you gotta think hard about and it's like real life, just because you're strong and at the top some random guy can take you down a notch. I know I said Zoro ain't up there with Luffy but it's evident that he's taken out enemies capable of killing Luffy like Das Bones.

Goku wasn't always the strongest (Buu/Broly)...you just knew that he would always win.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Pretty much, a lot of the time it depends on matchups. For example Luffy was only able to beat Enel because he had the right devil fruit - he would've taken a monster L if he wasn't made of rubber. And then you got stuff like Luffy vs. Smoker (at least before the timeskip), where Smoker wasn't necessarily stronger than Luffy, but he'd always win because Luffy couldn't hit him.

Closest thing OP has to power levels is bounty, but that's more about how much you scare the govt than how strong you are.