The Official 2024 MLB Season Thread

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
This is going to come across as hate - Correct

But most of the guys who could do it (or really all of them except for Bonds) were prohibited from even trying because of the risk of injury. - No way of knowing this

Willie Mays, Mike Trout, Ken Griffey Jr, Alex Rodriguez, Vlad Guerrero Sr, Rickey Henderson...all could have been 40/40 or 50/50 guys under different conditions.
Even someone like Alfonso Soriano could have been a multiple 40/40 guy. - What does 40/40 have to do with this? Some of these aren't even close anyway. Griffey had more than 20 SB once, Rickey had 25+ HR twice

Let's just calm down a bit with acting like he's some unicorn, - When's the last time a player could lead the league in batting stats while also being a Cy Young contender?

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
This is going to come across as hate but if we're being truthful, as impressive as a 50/50 season is, it's kind of a matter of circumstance.

The truth is that other players in the past could have had 40/40 or 50/50 seasons. But most of the guys who could do it (or really all of them except for Bonds) were prohibited from even trying because of the risk of injury.

Willie Mays, Mike Trout, Ken Griffey Jr, Alex Rodriguez, Vlad Guerrero Sr, Rickey Henderson...all could have been 40/40 or 50/50 guys under different conditions.
Even someone like Alfonso Soriano could have been a multiple 40/40 guy.

The point is not that Ohtani's season isn't amazing, BECAUSE IT IS.
Let's just calm down a bit with acting like he's some unicorn, because baseball has too long a history of great players that ...in my opinion...get disrespected with this kind of hyperbole.
I mean, if you're gonna look at it like that, then he's not special at all since there are plenty of players that could've been 2-way guys if they were allowed to be, right? :ld:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I mean, if you're gonna look at it like that, then he's not special at all since there are plenty of players that could've been 2-way guys if they were allowed to be, right? :ld:
No, he's certainly a GREAT player and his pitching gives him unique value.
But we're talking about 2024, and he's not a pitcher in 2024.

Trust Me

Coli Prophet
Daps
Reppin
Orlando
This is going to come across as hate but if we're being truthful, as impressive as a 50/50 season is, it's kind of a matter of circumstance.

The truth is that other players in the past could have had 40/40 or 50/50 seasons. But most of the guys who could do it (or really all of them except for Bonds) were prohibited from even trying because of the risk of injury.

Even someone like Alfonso Soriano could have been a multiple 40/40 guy.

The point is not that Ohtani's season isn't amazing, BECAUSE IT IS.
Let's just calm down a bit with acting like he's some unicorn, because baseball has too long a history of great players that ...in my opinion...get disrespected with this kind of hyperbole.
First and foremost its fukk Ohtani for spurning the Mets, and only using them to inflate his LA contract.. and its also fukk Ohtani cause he's about to rob the homie Lindor of an MVP...

But with all that said... the dude is amazing. I honestly thought the NL MVP was a tight race till he went 50/50. And as bad as i feel for Lindor.. this is a magical ass season for Sho. :francis:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
First and foremost its fukk Ohtani for spurning the Mets, and only using them to inflate his LA contract.. and its also fukk Ohtani cause he's about to rob the homie Lindor of an MVP...

But with all that said... the dude is amazing. I honestly thought the NL MVP was a tight race till he went 50/50. And as bad as i feel for Lindor.. this is a magical ass season for Sho. :francis:
Well, it's not like Ohtani DOESN'T deserve the MVP, because he does.
But Lindor deserves it, too.

If the whole point of stats analysis/sabermetrics/whatever phrase you want to use, is to gain a better understanding of how players contribute to wins, then we can't keep defaulting to the casual stats and narratives to hand out awards.

At some point, true understanding of the game needs to be reflected by acknowledging that yes....this player's stats might look less impressive...but they're more valuable.