The Official 2024 College Football Random Thoughts Thread

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Franklin is a good recruiter and a solid coach...thing is, he only beats osu or mich once every 7-8 years. .500 record vs. MSU, and loses games to Iowa and Wisconsin types too.
All the best programs in the B1G the past decade :russ:

Silkk

Daps
Kirby is the only one I'd say for sure.

I think Lincoln and Day have cases.

I am pretty high on Deboer but need to see more from him.

Sark and Lane were pretty bad at the start of their HC careers, but seem to have figured things out. I need to see a bit more from both to definitely state that they're better than Franklin but I do believe there can be an argument made for both. I'd argue they're better play callers on offense for sure, but Franklin recruits better than Lane (Sark doing his thing on the trail though). At Ole Miss I've been impressed with how well Lane makes assistant coaching hires considering it's ole miss, so I'd say he is on par with Franklin in terms of being able to hire good assistants, or is close enough.

Brian Kelly shyts the bed against teams he should beat too much for me to put him over Franklin. I think Kelly is a good coach overall but I can't recall Franklin shytting the bed against inferior teams (minus the covid year) all that often like I can with Kelly.

Dan Lanning? Not seen enough but looks promising. Honestly reminds me a lot of Franklin in that he's a great recruiter and makes great hires, beats who he's supposed to beat but hasn't seemed to get over the hump yet against elite top tier teams.

Dabo in his prime, but he's looking a bit
UAZGQp7.png
in the portal era.

Norvell? I think he's a great game day coach but his recruiting isn't elite. Need to see more consistency from him to really argue that he's better.

Thing about Franklin that people overlook is he's been really consistent minus 2020 as having good to great teams.
Kyle Whittingham?

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Sonny Cumbie and Doug Meachum owe this man a check.. He got them boys PAID IN FULL back then.. They probably STILL eating good til this day..

It’s a lot of coaches that owe certain players a check because it fooled folks into thinking they were really good

Yea I am not one who subscribes to either win the chip or you suck. People wanted Harbaugh gone (which after covid season :francis:), now he a champ.

Dude is winning double digit games, probably needs to hit on one lucky piece and that can complete the puzzle. They were breaking in new qb and the defense was elite for most part. They lose Diaz but they have system of recruiting certain types of players so that will still be in place.

Nah it’s not chip or bust, I’ve gon on record saying there was a time winning the big and going to the rose was tops, i was happy that we finally were going into games and i wasn’t worried about eating the curb

That said Franklin is at a crossroads of something has to shake, they not paying that man 10ms to lose to osu and us, now the scheduling math has changed so it’s not the same, so i expect him to be in the playoffs

I lean towards that opinion myself but wouldn't automatically dismiss someone arguing against it.

A lot of the times when people argue against Sark and Lane, they cite their earlier days as HCs.

They've grown a ton since then, but those blemishes still happened. I personally view those as potential strengths for them since they learned from some big mistakes and hard times when they were young.

Lots of Florida fans in particular who don't like Lane cite shyt that happened like over 10 years ago. But personally Lane was the guy I wanted UF to hire to replace Mullen.

Folks use your past when it’s to serves an agenda, Franklin won at vandy…. Lane lost at usc and Tenn, sark blew usc and did ok at Washington

But all tree are in entirely different situations so it’s not a 1:1

Kirk Ferentz don't get enough credit as a coach either imo.

MF consistently wins 9-10 games a year in the Big Ten while playing ZERO offense :bryan:

Folks can talk smack but Perk a mf, from getting talent drafted, to winning games, but I’m afraid the math gon be different for him too moving forward no more we’re the biggest turd in the toilet bowl of the big west

DropTopDoc

Daps
Reppin
This shyt was always insane. nikka made a Super Bowl, Made Stanford Elite, Turned Michigan around INSTANTLY, Turned the 49ers around INSTANTLY, etc.

It's like somebody saying Peyton Manning was a bad QB because he couldn't beat Florida or The Patriotss

Well… it’s funny you say that because that was the knock on Peyton,

I can give you reasons to keep Franklin i can give you reasons to cut him loose, but while we are here, he’s had exceptional talent in happy valley too, and 2 generational in Barkley and parsons

I agree with you but there gotta be a better comparison than harbaugh

Well, i only say that in, as good as harbaugh was, they brought him there to get us better and competitive with osu, he got us a lot better, beating osu wasn’t easy, but add to the fact their our biggest rival so when they play us they all the way up, not so much Psu, there was a time folks was like oh Franklin beat osu why cant Jim, never mind it’s no rivalry and a blocked kick literally was the saving grace and when we played them that year if I’m not mistaken we murdered them. There is no coach similar to Franklin, he can get just about any recruit, and 8-9 out of ten times he has the better team on the field, this man be an offensive genius against Maryland but lays an egg on real comp

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
Well… it’s funny you say that because that was the knock on Peyton,

I can give you reasons to keep Franklin i can give you reasons to cut him loose, but while we are here, he’s had exceptional talent in happy valley too, and 2 generational in Barkley and parsons

Well, i only say that in, as good as harbaugh was, they brought him there to get us better and competitive with osu, he got us a lot better, beating osu wasn’t easy, but add to the fact their our biggest rival so when they play us they all the way up, not so much Psu, there was a time folks was like oh Franklin beat osu why cant Jim, never mind it’s no rivalry and a blocked kick literally was the saving grace and when we played them that year if I’m not mistaken we murdered them. There is no coach similar to Franklin, he can get just about any recruit, and 8-9 out of ten times he has the better team on the field, this man be an offensive genius against Maryland but lays an egg on real comp
Oh I see that makes sense. The only true problem I have with Franklin is he never can really develop a qb despite being an offensive minded guy and former qb coach that I can remember. He’s definitely a good coach he made Vanderbilt look good but something just seems off

DropTopDoc

Daps
Reppin
Oh I see that makes sense. The only true problem I have with Franklin is he never can really develop a qb despite being an offensive minded guy and former qb coach that I can remember. He’s definitely a good coach he made Vanderbilt look good but something just seems off

Like i said in a past post, your prior performance only matters to push your agenda/notions,(not saying you are) yeah he won at vandy, but psu is like lsu or Florida (when they are good), they are supposed to win 90% of their games, his squad is top 1-5% of talent in the big/cfb

nikka will come up with all types of offensive formations against Maryland, but nikka in like 4 ots with Illinois, nikka got nothing for us or osu it’s damn near perplexing

Silkk

Daps
Folks can talk smack but Perk a mf, from getting talent drafted, to winning games, but I’m afraid the math gon be different for him too moving forward no more we’re the biggest turd in the toilet bowl of the big west

7fyIi4.gif

:skip:

Silkk

Daps
Sark and Lane definitely are better than Franklin
Can’t believe how many people dapped this bullshyt

Sark won 10 games ONCE his entire career. James Franklin won 9 games at Vandy TWICE IN A ROW :bryan:

Go ahead and tell me some BS about Georgia/Florida being down, And after that find me the Vandy coach thats won even 7 games back to back