The Official 2024 College Football Random Thoughts Thread

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Not familiar with them, Sounds like one of those teams yall like to schedule the first 3 weeks of the season :lolbron:

I won't argue that. It's a reason we just had em join the B1G to fall in line wit the rest of the Tulane's & shyt of the world :ehh:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
That's peace
:myman: You my mans, We at these nikkas tomorrow night

EDC5C6A77B88696D15A260231A08684562B1C575

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
I don't disagree with this take but give me the active coaches you think are better than him
Kirby is the only one I'd say for sure.

I think Lincoln and Day have cases.

I am pretty high on Deboer but need to see more from him.

Sark and Lane were pretty bad at the start of their HC careers, but seem to have figured things out. I need to see a bit more from both to definitely state that they're better than Franklin but I do believe there can be an argument made for both. I'd argue they're better play callers on offense for sure, but Franklin recruits better than Lane (Sark doing his thing on the trail though). At Ole Miss I've been impressed with how well Lane makes assistant coaching hires considering it's ole miss, so I'd say he is on par with Franklin in terms of being able to hire good assistants, or is close enough.

Brian Kelly shyts the bed against teams he should beat too much for me to put him over Franklin. I think Kelly is a good coach overall but I can't recall Franklin shytting the bed against inferior teams (minus the covid year) all that often like I can with Kelly.

Dan Lanning? Not seen enough but looks promising. Honestly reminds me a lot of Franklin in that he's a great recruiter and makes great hires, beats who he's supposed to beat but hasn't seemed to get over the hump yet against elite top tier teams.

Dabo in his prime, but he's looking a bit
UAZGQp7.png
in the portal era.

Norvell? I think he's a great game day coach but his recruiting isn't elite. Need to see more consistency from him to really argue that he's better.

Thing about Franklin that people overlook is he's been really consistent minus 2020 as having good to great teams.

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
Franklin is a GOOD coach.

He's definitely not elite, but he could be great if he continues at this pace or even improves.

He's great at assistant coaching hires and recruiting, but can't seem to get over the hump.
I really want to see how he does with the former Kansas OC Andy Kotelnicki.. That was a fun offense to watch but you sometimes have to wonder if its the head guy O or the OC?

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
I really want to see how he does with the former Kansas OC Andy Kotelnicki.. That was a fun offense to watch but you sometimes have to wonder if its the head guy O or the OC?
Also I think the Kansas QB the last year or two was legit.

Allar is
Jay-Z-so-so.gif

And that's putting it nicely.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
Also RE: Franklin

I still subconsciously look at the landscape of CFB as having Saban, Harbaugh, and urban in the picture when Urban has been out of the game for a min, and Saban and Harbaugh is gone now.

That'll give some coaches a chance to move up and fill those voids. Franklin could be one who does. But some of the others I mentioned could also fill them.

At the end of the day, there can really only be 2-3 elite coaches at a time imo.

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
Also I think the Kansas QB the last year or two was legit.

Allar is
Jay-Z-so-so.gif

And that's putting it nicely.
Yea Last year I remember going into season with the usuals all breaking in new qbs (OSU, Bama, UGA, Clem) and thinking that could open the door for new teams (Texas, Mich, PSU) He had some hype coming into season but when the lights turned on and started to watch early on, his mechanics not on point and he was spraying easy throws..

Mich and texas capitalized tho, obviously Mich..

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
Also RE: Franklin

I still subconsciously look at the landscape of CFB as having Saban, Harbaugh, and urban in the picture when Urban has been out of the game for a min, and Saban and Harbaugh is gone now.

That'll give some coaches a chance to move up and fill those voids. Franklin could be one who does. But some of the others I mentioned could also fill them.

At the end of the day, there can really only be 2-3 elite coaches at a time imo.
Yea I am not one who subscribes to either win the chip or you suck. People wanted Harbaugh gone (which after covid season :francis:), now he a champ.

Dude is winning double digit games, probably needs to hit on one lucky piece and that can complete the puzzle. They were breaking in new qb and the defense was elite for most part. They lose Diaz but they have system of recruiting certain types of players so that will still be in place.

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
Kirby is the only one I'd say for sure.

I think Lincoln and Day have cases.

I am pretty high on Deboer but need to see more from him.

Sark and Lane were pretty bad at the start of their HC careers, but seem to have figured things out. I need to see a bit more from both to definitely state that they're better than Franklin but I do believe there can be an argument made for both. I'd argue they're better play callers on offense for sure, but Franklin recruits better than Lane (Sark doing his thing on the trail though). At Ole Miss I've been impressed with how well Lane makes assistant coaching hires considering it's ole miss, so I'd say he is on par with Franklin in terms of being able to hire good assistants, or is close enough.

Brian Kelly shyts the bed against teams he should beat too much for me to put him over Franklin. I think Kelly is a good coach overall but I can't recall Franklin shytting the bed against inferior teams (minus the covid year) all that often like I can with Kelly.

Dan Lanning? Not seen enough but looks promising. Honestly reminds me a lot of Franklin in that he's a great recruiter and makes great hires, beats who he's supposed to beat but hasn't seemed to get over the hump yet against elite top tier teams.

Dabo in his prime, but he's looking a bit
UAZGQp7.png
in the portal era.

Norvell? I think he's a great game day coach but his recruiting isn't elite. Need to see more consistency from him to really argue that he's better.

Thing about Franklin that people overlook is he's been really consistent minus 2020 as having good to great teams.
Sark and Lane definitely are better than Franklin

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
Sark and Lane definitely are better than Franklin
I lean towards that opinion myself but wouldn't automatically dismiss someone arguing against it.

A lot of the times when people argue against Sark and Lane, they cite their earlier days as HCs.

They've grown a ton since then, but those blemishes still happened. I personally view those as potential strengths for them since they learned from some big mistakes and hard times when they were young.

Lots of Florida fans in particular who don't like Lane cite shyt that happened like over 10 years ago. But personally Lane was the guy I wanted UF to hire to replace Mullen.

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
I lean towards that opinion myself but wouldn't automatically dismiss someone arguing against it.
I can see that tbh. I just feel like Franklin underachieves a lot he’s had a lot of talent but always loses big games and can’t see to get a wr and qb at the same lol